Alternative to Playback Pro

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Eric Lagerlof

Alternative to Playback Pro

PostThu Oct 25, 2012 4:48 am

Is there any weird EDID attached to the HDMI out of the Ultra Studio? I'm trying to see if I can use the Ultra Studio/Media Express combo on a PC to do what a Playback Pro does on a Mac, i.e. to send a resizable signal to a ScreenPro, a VistaSpyder or other HiRez switcher/scaler.

Tom_Bassford

Re: Alternative to Playback Pro

PostThu Oct 25, 2012 4:58 pm

will spyder not autosync the input? generally it picks up most things, you can always type the numbers in if not.
http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

nicholasrivero

PostThu Oct 25, 2012 9:49 pm

There are a bunch of apps out there like Renewed Vision's ProPresenter (which will do playback out of any Black Magic device, as well as do other CG features in addition to playback), and things like Arkaos Grand VJ, and Modul8.

Chad

PostThu Oct 25, 2012 10:00 pm

To answer your question, no, there is no EDID coming out of the Ultra Studio. Any EDID would be on the Spyder side telling the UltraStudio (trying to anyway) what resolution it should be sending. Thankfully Media Express completely ignores the EDID signal and only outputs what you tell it to in its preferences

nicholasrivero

PostThu Oct 25, 2012 10:13 pm

And the Vista Spyder also supports EDID programming on all of it's DVI inputs, FYI.

Eric Lagerlof

PostFri Oct 26, 2012 12:12 am

Chad, thanks for reminding me my question was a bit dyslexic. And thanks to all, you have answered my question. As a follow-up, do any of you have recommendations on laptops with the correct usb 3.0 port. The only thing I've seen on their website is the GSI GE 620.

Chad

PostFri Oct 26, 2012 12:56 am

I currently use a Lenovo T420s with USB3.0 and do live streaming with FMLE no problem.

Liam Kennedy

PostFri Oct 26, 2012 9:01 am

I use a Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 - connects flawlessly with the 1ME using it's USB3 port. I stream using FMLE / Wirecast - works great.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

Tom_Bassford

PostFri Oct 26, 2012 9:37 am

To clarify the question..

I think the OP is asking about using the Ultra Studio as an output device to send video out of a pc into spyder (or whatever) - the EDID thing is red herring as output from BMD devices is defined in BMD control panel, the devices send whatever format you have selected regardless of EDID (generally you'd send hdsdi which has nothing like EDID anyway)

I'd suggest that the issue here is finding a good playback app on windows which supports BMD video output. Media Express is clunky and less than ideal really. CasparCGis great if you can get your head round it.
http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

Return to Live Production