ATEM iPad Control/Show Control

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

nicholasrivero

ATEM iPad Control/Show Control

PostThu Oct 25, 2012 9:51 pm

Is there any chance that the ATEM series will see an iPad app similar to the Router Control? What about allowing the switcher software to interface with protocols like ArtNet or OSC for control capabilities? Thanks!

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

Re: ATEM iPad Control/Show Control

PostFri Oct 26, 2012 6:52 pm

It would be a difficult thing to do considering how much we rely on the network traffic for the ATEM. With the Routers we can send small packets of information on demand. But the ATEM requires a constant stream. So it's not as easy as it would seem.

It's a neat idea but we haven't announced any plans to do it.
Joshua Helling

Director of World Wide Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

yro

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 5:15 pm

It would be nice to have the ability to map the button/ctrl in midi / osc directly in Atem Software Control. Is it possible right now ?

I heard about midi ctrl for the sound but what about the video ?
I would control Atem software via automatic video switching with live ableton.

thanks

JohnBengston

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 6:19 pm

nicholasrivero,

Please check out the sample HTML page at the ATEMUser post below, it explains how you can use a gateway service to provide control from a Wireless client on TCP, without the UDP timing requirements.

http://www.atemuser.com/forums/atem-vision-mixers/blackmagic-atems/atem-macros-xkeys#comment-4196

It might not be ideal for you, but will get you to a working solution if you choose.

Good Luck with your project

John

honeychook

PostSun Dec 16, 2012 12:30 am

What if the ATM was talking to the computer, and the tablet (please Support Android) was talking to the computer to get to the mixer. The computer would work as a in between. There will be some lag though. The other option is to have a router with WIFI and connect the computer and the ATM and have them talk to each other. And the tablet is joins the "party" and can send a few packets to the ATM and Computer. EG Tablet just says "fade 5 seconds" and the computer and atem respond. This would eliminate any need for a constant stream over WIFI.

JohnBengston

PostSun Dec 16, 2012 1:45 am

honeychook,

There is zero measurable latency using the existing solution I linked to, unless your wifi device has lost it's connection completely and needs to re-connect, however using TCP, this reconnection is virtual instant, as there is no initial handshaking, as there would be directly connecting to the ATEM.

HTML pages work fine on Android, but if you'd like to develop your own android java/c++ app, you could easily make the AJAX request from within your app instead of from HTML/Javascript as the example shows.

If you take the time to investigate my post, you'll find the solution you describe is already fully implemented, you just need to design your own HTML page to provide the mobile interface your on-air talent / production crew want to use.

Best Wishes, I hope you can a solution working the way you need.

John

Return to Live Production