Flicker / Jumpy image

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Matt Brand

Flicker / Jumpy image

PostWed Apr 16, 2014 3:19 pm

Hi all

Firstly, I'm new to BM products and just bought an ATEM TV Studio..

Ive connected a laptop via HDMI, multiview monitor via HDMI, and fed a projector program out via SDI and then an SDI-HDMI mini converter at the proejector end.

Everything sets up ok and seems to work find but I noticed I'm getting a flickering / fast jitter on all of the images. I thought maybe a HDMI cable but I see it on all inputs, even media images that I load. I can't be the HDMI feeding the projector because I see it on the multiview monitor too. Even the white lines that border each input on the multiview monitor are jumping slightly.

It looks like a jitter, flashing from position to position.. No HDMI cables are longer than 5M...

Anyone have any ideas? (Does this when using both 1080i50 and 1080i59.xx)

Thank you wizards.

Matt

Matt Brand

Re: Flicker / Jumpy image

PostThu Apr 17, 2014 3:02 pm

Small update:

The monitor I'm using for multiview is displaying at 1920x540 whenever I plug it into the TVS..... The TVS is set to use 1080i50 - Not sure why this is? (The monitor is capable of 1080i50)

Anyone have an ideas? I'm debating sending it back as faulty...

Matt

tsdbonnie123

PostSun Apr 20, 2014 8:20 am

Hi Matt,

I'm having a similar issue whereby every output of our ATEM 1 ME rackmount switcher (which is a few years old now) drops to black/looks like it loses sync for a moment. The projector screens, plasmas, multiviewer - it all flickers at the same time which is really frustrating. It happens at least once a minute and up to once every 10 seconds depending on how it's feeling.

Every connection is firmly in place. The system has worked for years, but just started playing up a few days ago. I did notice that the unit feels quite hot - not sure if this is caused by excess heat on the unit?

Has anyone had experience with these issues before?

Cheers,
-Matt

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Apr 21, 2014 6:39 pm

For both of you, I would send an email to your local support and see if they can guide you through a solution for these issues.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

tsdbonnie123

PostSun Apr 27, 2014 9:09 am

Update on my situation:

Today I used a pedestal fan on the back of the Blackmagic Switcher to keep the air flowing through the rack that it's in (plus making sure the room air-con was on cold). Not one dropout today whatsoever...!

Perhaps heat was the real issue here! I'll let you know if I experience any more dropouts!

Joe Safari

PostTue May 27, 2014 10:03 pm

I had the same issue over the weekend when my atem 1m/e crapped out. I had two SD-SDI cameras connected & a dvd player through composite, the SDI camera inputs flickered throughout the entire show, it was very embarrassing as I had a feed going to a tv in a bar & they kept telling me the signal went down. I lost both cameras altogether at various stages. Blackmagic should be ashamed of themselves building shite & badging it as broadcast. One thing we require as broadcasters is "reliabilty". I was lucky my VT feed didn't go down if it had I wouldn't have got paid. My camera feeds are 100m, & I had a mobile phone charging near the atem. I'm going to have to move away from Blackmagic & never trust them again, Has anyone resolved this issue of flickering inputs?

joltaxi

PostTue Nov 02, 2021 8:58 pm

Hi Guys,

Anyone has an update on this one ? we experienced the same issue.

In 2 different locations, 3 BMD studio camera HD were connected both ways in HD SDI + a mac in HDMI.
The setup works for hours until it start to flick black on all sources randomly, I see a peak in the audio coming from one camera as if it was an electrical peak bothering the atem and make it flick.

Anyone has an idea ? I'd be glad to discuss about that.

Keep me posted thanks

Johan

Return to Live Production