Using a Macbook Pro as a 'camera' on Intensity Pros HDMI

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

mattmadrid

Using a Macbook Pro as a 'camera' on Intensity Pros HDMI

PostWed Oct 31, 2012 10:01 pm

Hello,

I am trying to present the desktop of a macbook pro live on Ustream Producer Pro. We recently got two Blackmagic Intensity Pro's and have been running HDMI cameras into them. Today we got the idea to output from the Macbooks thunderbolt port using an HDMI converter and run that HDMI into the Inensity so that we could broadcast the desktop live.

We cannot get this to work. We have tried every combination of resolutions and frame rates and cannot get the computer (using any program) to recognize our outputted desktop as a live video feed.

Does anyone know if this is possible or how we might do this?

isaac

Re: Using a Macbook Pro as a 'camera' on Intensity Pros HDMI

PostWed Oct 31, 2012 11:42 pm

Hello,
I have been using a macbook pro as a video source for an ATEM Television studio.

Using a minidisplay port I plugged from the mac into one of the ATEM TVS hdmi inputs.

The macbook pro discovers the ATEM TVS as an hdmi display. It just works. I played with the configuration and I discovered that it has to be 1080i 59.94 (other settings did not seem to work and this is what I expected).

Confirm that you have tested the HDMI output of your macbook with a real monitor.

Chad

PostThu Nov 01, 2012 12:29 am

The Intensity series and most video capture card products are designed to capture video signals only and not computer signals. This means unless you can set your computer to one of the 4 supported resolutions and to the proper color space (YUV) it will not work. Most video cards cannot do this

For example, computers typically output 60hz or 75hz, while video signals require 59.94 or 29.97

ltmoss

PostThu Nov 01, 2012 1:50 pm

I can confirm the macbook pro does indeed work with ATEM Television Studio via minidisplay adapter out to hdmi converter (apple accessory) unless your newer mac has hdmi port you won't need the adapter.
Just make sure you go into systems>displays and set the output display on 2nd monitor and it should pick up in the ATEM as a hdmi camera source.

Return to Live Production