Two Intensity Extremes on a MBP 13" Retina Machine

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Confreaks

Two Intensity Extremes on a MBP 13" Retina Machine

PostThu Nov 01, 2012 7:37 am

I have been using a BM Intensity Extreme and a Matrox MX02 Mini with a MBP 17" for live streaming two feeds. The Intensity Extreme has worked flawlessly so I purchased on of the MBP 13" machines on Friday and order a second Intensity Extreme so I could eliminate the Matrox and the sometimes flacky PC Express card interface.

I have an event I'm recording tomorrow.

You see where this is going.

Was traveling most of today.

The second IE arrived Tuesday late, so I boxed it up and headed out.

Now upon hooking things up and doing some research it turns out that I CAN NOT use two Intensity Extereme's on the same machine at this point in time?

Details - New MBP 13" Retina with 2.5Ghz I5 /8GB RAM - 128GB Flash Drive. OS X 10.8.2

Using Media Express and Telescene Wirecast.

Everything works fine with one BMIE.

Second one is recognized but does function.

Have confirmed both devices work successfully when attached one at a time.

Any idea if Black Magic is going to fix this soon?

This was really going to be a great setup... for capturing presentations.

Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

Re: Two Intensity Extremes on a MBP 13" Retina Machine

PostThu Nov 01, 2012 6:50 pm

I'm not sure how the two Thunderbolt ports on the 13" Retina MBP are wired up and if they split any resources. I've heard a few reports of success using two Thunderbolt Intensity devices on an iMac with dual Thunderbolt ports, but we have yet to be able to confirm this.

When you have the two Intensity Extremes connected each to a Thunderbolt port on your MBP, in your System Prefs, do you get a dropdown to toggle through each Intensity Extreme's settings? As an example, if you have two of our PCIe capture cards in a MacPro, you'll see both devices available in System Prefs; you'll just have to select both individually from a dropdown to change their hardware settings. This could be what you mean when you say "the second is recognized but does not function," so I just want to clarify.

Media Express will only recognize one input device at a time. The workaround for detecting multiple devices is to create a copy of Media Express in your Applications folder and open both at the same time. One iteration will point to hardware 1 and the other iteration will point to hardware 2. I unfortunately have not used Wirecast, so I don't know how it populates for multiple pieces of hardware.

Our driver does support multiple capture devices on one system, so long as the system in question has the resources available to run these devices. It is possible that the 13" Retina MBP doesn't have the resources to run both devices simultaneously, and to confirm, the easiest test would be to try two versions of Media Express with both Intensity Extremes connected.
Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

Return to Live Production