60 HZ!! Its November - Im Cold, and really want 60 HZ

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

George Sickler

60 HZ!! Its November - Im Cold, and really want 60 HZ

PostSat Nov 03, 2012 2:00 am

I have seen a slow down in people complaining about the 60 hz issue. - Does this mean if we just stop asking for it, it might go away?

I have been holding on as long as I can stand it, I really NEED this new firmware to favor the correction.

3.1 is a fine work around, but my other 2 systems are jealous because of the light weight now, and no need for an external mixing board. - PLUS no lip sync correction. -

I am beginning to think that this is not gonna be resolved, - and we have to conform. -

Can anyone please list the best work around to use my mac book pro HDMI port, with the latest firm ware.

Say an $100 or less solution? Is this even possible? Any good scan converters we just don't know about yet?

AIR parrot and Apple TV 3 has been a good tool to use, but I fear all my rig will be obsolete in my next attempt to test.

George
George Sickler
Colorado Digital Video

Liam Kennedy

Re: 60 HZ!! Its November - Im Cold, and really want 60 HZ

PostSat Nov 03, 2012 7:29 am

According to the post from Black Magic about 5 weeks ago... we still have a few days to go. November 8th I think if they come in on the 6 week timeframe.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

ajcourtney

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 4:11 am

Hey Liam - would this fix enable a concurrent mix of 59.94 and 60? I understand you have the TVS, does it permit concurrent mixing of 59.94 and 60Hz?
Aaron J. Courtney
CenterStage Productions, LP
www.centerstagemedia.com

Liam Kennedy

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 4:24 am

I have no idea. I did ask that specific question of black magic on another post... But did not receive a specific response to that.

The old firmware (3.1.1) supported both 59.94hz and 60hz as inputs to the ATEM when it was configured to 59.94 mode. Black magic aknowledged they messed up when they "adjusted" things and broke that support in 3.2 firmware and above. They committed to re-enabling that support. So.. If black magic don't allow that same capability... Then it won't be a fix. It will be no use to me to have a 60hz mode and. 59.94 mode. That won't work for me...and it won't work for anyone else (I believe).

So.. I'm going with the assumption Black Magic know what is needed.. And will be delivering on their promise.

By the way. I have both a TVS and a 1ME.

TVS still supports my 60hz on 3.2 firmware.

Mathijs

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 8:04 am

TVS still supports my 60hz on 3.2 firmware.

That's because it has no embedded audio support. They had to tighten the timings to get that working ok.
So I'm wondering how they will loosen them again without getting problems with mixed usage.
Since they tightened the timings, a problem I had on HDMI inputs making them lose sync sometimes and blink black to instantly come back has disappeared. I hope they won't introduce that back again when fixing this issue for the 60Hz customers. I'm on 50 Hz, so I do not have the problem, but I can imagine it to be a pain.

Liam Kennedy

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 8:20 am

Nope. Audio WAS introduced in 3.2. I know we are now on 3.3.. but I had no reason to upgrade any further.

I have 3.2 on both my 1ME and TVS. Embedded audio is available on BOTH systems.

I never experienced any 60hz/59.94 issues before. I am expecting the clever people at BMD know what they are doing and they can handle this.

Thomas Seewald

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 9:28 am

I dont understand, why BMD can't solve the problem quickly. For my opinion, the only difference is the timing of the signal. But this is the job for the existing (!) time base correction, which allways store one frame to playback with the right timing.
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

ajcourtney

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 2:29 pm

Thanks all for the continued discussion! Liam, just so I understand you correctly, right now, on your tvs, you can mix 59.94 cams with 60Hz computer displays (I assume), switch between them, and everything just works? And are you using both sdi and hdmi sources?
Aaron J. Courtney
www.centerstagemedia.com

Liam Kennedy

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 5:24 pm

Yes to all of that. Sony EX3 cameras on SDI. Atlona VGA to HDMI scaler. All work via the TVS on 3.2 firmware. I've been using my TVS as a glorified frame re-sync device to convert my atlona scaler to 59.94 in to my 1ME (needed to use the USB 3 output from that to stream).

Looking forward to not having to do that anymore....soon!

ajcourtney

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 6:52 pm

And the graphics adapters are definitely set to 60, not 59?
Aaron J. Courtney
www.centerstagemedia.com

Liam Kennedy

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 6:56 pm

Sigh. YES YES YES. Look. There is nothing about this that I have not looked at every which way.

The gear (like my Atlona VGA-HDMI scaler) works connected to my TVS. It doesn't work when connected to the 1ME.

Other devices have the same issues (e.g. I have an Gefen toolbox HDMI - HDMI sclaer). An Apple TV.

All work connected to the TVS with 3.2 firmware. All devices are configured to their 720p60 settings (none of them have a menu option to specifically use 720p5994.

Please look back through the dozens of posts I have placed on this forum and on Atemuser if you want further detail.

I'm just going to sit back and wait for the 3.4 release that will fix this (!!!)

ajcourtney

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 8:40 pm

I didn't know you were operating @720P/60. What if you setup at 1080i and mix your 59.94 and 60 devices. I don't think this works with the TVS.
Aaron J. Courtney
www.centerstagemedia.com

Liam Kennedy

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 8:45 pm

I've done some limited testing on 1080i mode on the ATEM and posted my results here and atemuser.com. I don't have the time to go back and find those. Please help yourself. My recollection is that I had similar results... but I am not 100% sure.

I run my gear in 720p60 mode at my events... so I have no need to do any further testing in 1080i mode. Especially as a) I have my own workaround and b) the 3.4 release "should" be coming out soon and I am expecting BMD to fix it!!!!

Time to move on

jacqueslevesque

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 10:41 pm

Hurry BlackMagic Design! I need it too!!

taropal

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 4:47 am

We Just found out the hard way about this little glitch. We are mixing video camera and computer HDMI outputs and it turned out 10-20% of the time it will work and the others times, just plain black screen. Found out about the 3.1 temporary work around and would like to get the new fix as well. Black Magic Design, would you please work on it.

George Sickler

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 11:51 pm

I had expected it to be here by now, so I am concerned it will not be available.

Even though we heard, it was coming. BMC does not have to allow the 60hz feature.

So if not, what are the best options? - Any SUB $250 solutions? - It is really a sad sad day that we have all this power under the hood, and have to watch it collect dust.- I had learned it the hard way too, right before my week long critical gig, - bam, - no 60 hz. - The audio feature is nice. - so - marching back off to 3.1 -

BM? How much longer? I have another gig coming up, and really really need this.

George
George Sickler
Colorado Digital Video

timgregory

PostFri Nov 09, 2012 8:13 am

BMD often bring out updates around exhibitions and BVE north is next week. So may be worth waiting a few more days to see if anything appears if you can wait that long.

Tim

Liam Kennedy

PostFri Nov 09, 2012 9:18 pm

I have a reminder set. I check to see the announcements section every morning to see if 3.4 (with 60Hz support back) has been released.

Nah... I'm lying... I'm so OCD about this I check three times a day.

Come on BMD! I want my 60Hz back!!!

George Sickler

PostSat Nov 10, 2012 4:51 am

Ah Liam your not fooling man - at least 90 times a week.-

It drives me crazy.

I love my Atem stuff. - but wow the things we do for love.

Ge
George Sickler
Colorado Digital Video

Liam Kennedy

PostSat Nov 10, 2012 9:39 pm

George... I'm with you. I think I need some kind of an auto script to periodically search the forum - or to notify me as soon as a new firware is released. Hmmm... maybe I could do that. It sure would save me a lot of time.

Of course... if BMD would just release 3.4 already... I would be happy.

WE WANT OUR 60Hz Black Magic!!!!!!

JohnBengston

PostSun Nov 11, 2012 12:14 am

Liam this should do the trick.

Code: Select all
CLS();
CurrentBMDATEMSwitcherSoftwareHTTPText = HTTPGet( "http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/detail?sid=3962&pid=3971&leg=false&os=win" );
lvStartOfVersionBlock                  = string.find( CurrentBMDATEMSwitcherSoftwareHTTPText, '<div class="dl-box driver">', 1, true );
tempString                             = string.sub(  CurrentBMDATEMSwitcherSoftwareHTTPText, lvStartOfVersionBlock );
lvStartOfVersionText                   = string.find( tempString, '<h3>', 1, true );
tempString                             = string.sub(  tempString, lvStartOfVersionText + 4 );
lvEndOfVersionText                     = string.find( tempString, '</h3>', 1, true );
CurrentATEMVersionString               = string.sub(  tempString, 1, lvEndOfVersionText - 1 );
VSLog( CurrentATEMVersionString );

Cheers

John

Mathijs

PostSun Nov 11, 2012 12:25 am

Indeed, I am waiting patiently since the IBC, but it seems to take longer than I expected, and certainly longer than I had hoped back in september!
Where is the time where we got a new present every month? ;)

Liam Kennedy

PostTue Nov 20, 2012 3:50 am

:-|

Sanghyun Park

PostTue Nov 20, 2012 7:40 am

I don't understand why BMD does not speak at all about the schedule for 3.4!
At least, they should...
1ME, H.264pro, Shuttle 3.0, HDMI-SDI converter User

Return to Live Production