Weird Audio Problem

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

ewotila

Weird Audio Problem

PostSat Nov 03, 2012 9:26 pm

I work with a local TV station, and we're having a really weird audio problem and I'm wondering if anyone here has ever experienced anything similar.

We just built a new control room around an ATEM Television Studio switcher with audio fed via the AES port from a Behringer SRC2496 A/D converter. Everything seems to check out on all the audio outputs from the switcher (SDI, HDMI or the USB port for recording directly to a computer). The audio sounds fine on both the left and right channels; levels are good and not overmodulated.

When broadcasting the ATEM's output (whether live or off a recording), the audio sounds fine on most TVs, and again, matches levels with other content (i.e. video off our video server).

HOWEVER, if a viewer's digital converter box or cable box is connected to their TV via the RF modulator and a coax cable (as opposed to, for instance, composite video and audio cables), NO audio can be heard on programming originating from the ATEM (again, it doesn't matter whether it's live or if it's pre-recorded and played off our video server).

Has anyone ever run into an issue like this? Any suggestions or advice would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks in advance....

Baz

Re: Weird Audio Problem

PostSun Nov 04, 2012 12:11 am

Sounds like a stereo phase reversal of some kind.
Try send left channel only then right channel only.
OK its a wild shot....

MISC
U/S Express, SmartviewDuo, SmartScopeDuo, Teranex 2D, Web Pres, 5/7 Vid Assists
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
Studio, Shuttle, Studio Mini
ATEM
2me4K, 2me, TVS, TVS HD, CamConvs, StudioConvs, Studio Cams, Micro Studio Cam

ewotila

PostSun Nov 04, 2012 3:29 am

I tried feeding only one channel and it did, indeed, fix the issue. In the end, I shifted the audio balance just a bit -- so both the left and right channels get audio, but one is just slightly louder than the other. Things seem to be working fine in that configuration.

Thanks for the suggestion!

sharyn

PostSun Nov 04, 2012 8:24 am

Check for a wiring issue where one channel is reversed someone might have wired up a connection incorrectly. Since it works when the level is different you still have the problem
Sharyn

Ray Larson

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 8:49 pm

New to forum, 20 plus years working with provider to cable systems. Good call on possible connector error, rolled wire on 2&3 on a 3 wire Cannon type or Ring and Tip on a Tip, Ring, Sleeve connector. The other question is the cable company installation at their head end. I have had issues with cable operators having rolled connectors causing phase cancellation. I have also found audio equipment (mixers, decks, etc.) that had problems. Hope this helps.

Return to Live Production