ATEM failover/ macros

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Fred Rodrigues

ATEM failover/ macros

PostMon Nov 05, 2012 9:08 am

I am wondering if there is a way to have a second or third ATEM running from the same control panel to allow for units to be run synchronously? Ie if one failed that a second feed from a second ATEM could be picked up and not have to switch control panels. Also I would like to run 3 units synchronised from one controller to allow mixing of several outputs at once (yes they must be 3 units for DVE and different sources, however all the commands would be identical.

Also will there be macro buttons coming to the atem software control. In many cases I would like to switch several things at once, (aux outputs and keys).

It seems in software it is a pretty simple thing to do that would make the unit a lot more user friendly.

Fred
http://www.fredrodrigues.net/

Thomas Seewald

Re: ATEM failover/ macros

PostMon Nov 05, 2012 9:42 am

All controlls seems to work with one "target IP" for the controlled switcher. If running more than one mixer in one network, they must have different IPs.

I think, it schould be possible to solve the Problem by software. sending the same command to both mixers and recceive the answers form both for synchronizing. Maybe a microcontroller can do this job.

Ask Kasper Skaarhoj (http://skaarhoj.com/). He is a ATEM and microcontroller specialized develloper.
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

Fred Rodrigues

PostMon Nov 05, 2012 2:50 pm

Cheers, i have worked with the ATEM and arduino a fair bit, I am looking for a more professional solution, mission critical broadcast situations always require a failover solution and I am looking for that for the atem. I am aware of the fixed ip target but wanted to know if anyone had integrated the ATEM into a mission critical setup and had a failover solution.

Fred

Thomas Seewald

PostMon Nov 05, 2012 2:57 pm

Hi Fred,

someone is allways the first. I hope, you find someone here, who has already solved this problem.

If not and you are really the first, contct Kasper. The devices developed by him seems to be professional...

Fred Rodrigues

PostMon Nov 05, 2012 11:15 pm

Cheers Ill keep looking and let you know if I find a solution
Fred

Rune Fog Hansen

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 1:26 pm

Sounds to me like netcat, tee and some named pipes could be used for a proxy that duplicates the commands to two or more atems. A small linux or unix box, probably a mac as well, could be used for this. I don't have access to multiple atems for testing, though.

Thomas Seewald

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 2:55 pm

Duplicating the packets to different IPs is not enough. The problem is not the sending, but the answer. When the packets are duplicated to two diffrent IPs, both atems would send one. The control unit (, additional controllers and the separate tally unit) gets the answer and updates the display.

But the answer comes twice from different and "false" IP-adresses.... So the anwers form one ATEM has to be relocated and from the other has to be ignored. In case of a failure, the failed ATEM has to be ignored.

As well, the new single point of failure is the "redundancy switch".

Return to Live Production