ATEM Television Studio Random blackouts

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

sektor

ATEM Television Studio Random blackouts

PostTue Nov 13, 2012 7:10 am

At our church we have an ATEM Television Studio that experiences random blackouts no matter which camera is selected, we do have a fan over the heat sink to keep the unit cool. The unit has 2 HDMI cameras and a production imac connected to it running presenter PRO for verses and lyrics, the switcher is connected to a cisco router and talks to an iMAC running ATEM control software via ethernet, this issue presented itself even when the switcher was connected directly to the computer via ethernet any suggestions you can provide would be greatly appreciated the switcher is only about 6 months old roughly. Thanks in advance.

Scott B

Re: ATEM Television Studio Random blackouts

PostTue Nov 13, 2012 8:45 am

Are you seeing only the multi viewer blackout?

I had an issue like this were only the multi viewer via HDMI would black out randomly. Turns out it was a heat issue. I had thought putting a fan on the back of it would help but it didn't. I have mine rack mounted and once i installed a rack mount fan kit directly above it in the rack it stopped doing it. I think putting the fans directly above the switcher helps pull the hot air out of the unit.

I also saw somewhere here on the forum that it helps to have all the cables hooked up to the SDI ports even if you aren't using them. Someone said that is how the unit dissipates heat. when i was having the issues i was only using 3 camera inputs and 2 of the outputs. Since then i am using basically every port on the machine. Since doing all this i never have any blackout issues like i had in the past.

Simon Bachofen

PostTue Nov 13, 2012 10:38 am

Our customers also told from overheating problems from the ATEM Studio. They also mounted a fan on top of the cooling unit and it was fine. I don't know if they also got blackouts, but this could be a solution.

sektor

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 6:05 am

No it's not just the multiview basically the projection screens in the sanctuary as well as the internet feed are blacking out. We do have a fan blowing on it from an angle and I think all the ports have something plugged into it I will have to double check and I kind of figured it was heat related and it doesn't happen all the time.

Esa Kranz

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 4:08 pm

How long are those HDMI cables you are using?
Esa Kranz
Product Manager at Hedcom
Blackmagic Reseller, Finland
www.hedcom.fi/home

sektor

PostFri Nov 23, 2012 1:00 am

I'm not 100% sure I will have to check and get back to you, sorry for the delayed response I have been busy I know there is a length limitation on hdmi cables but I doubt that is the issue because it has been fine as far as I can tell until recently.

Esa Kranz

PostFri Nov 23, 2012 9:12 am

I suspect you have ground looping interference going on as you have equipment scattered over location and cables connecting the frames ( & grounds) of different power outlets. If these outlets are fed from different phases in the mains distribution, you start to get some trouble. Also if you have a safe grounded power cord (3-pins) connected to outlet without safe grounding (2-pin socket), you get more trouble from that device.

Check your power connections!
Esa Kranz
Product Manager at Hedcom
Blackmagic Reseller, Finland
www.hedcom.fi/home

Return to Live Production