Feature Request: multiple solo selection

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Robert Betzner

Feature Request: multiple solo selection

PostThu Sep 18, 2014 5:48 pm

Hi there,

it would be great if Blackmagic would add the ability to select more than one channel for the solo output. That would enable all the classic ME1 and ME2 users to use the switcher for intercom return. While the external input is embedded into the PGM HD-SDI stream you could switch all cameras that need to talkback to solo and use the analog output to listen to this.

Another option would be to use the ATEM as a simple deembedder with that function.

Currently you can only select one channel for solo at a time. But it would be neat to switch multiple channels to solo simultaneously.

BMD - is it possible to add that into an firmware update?

Thanks and cheers

Vladimir Fedorchuk

Re: Feature Request: multiple solo selection

PostThu Jun 15, 2017 2:00 pm

Agree 100%. Very needed feature. THX, BMD, for all support!

Xtreemtec

PostSun Jun 18, 2017 6:52 am

Doesn't that defy the whole purpose of SOLO?? :lol:

Anyway since the 4K models are talkback all the way. (Yes i would like to mute channel wise talkback on those models..)
The classic 1 and 2 ME are not serviced anymore in the firmware.. THey stopped doing that 1 or 2 years ago... Maybe some features wll still get down to the classic models if it is simply possible..

But since the Classic mixers were End of Life a few years ago and there is no repair service.. So they will die out..

I sold my Classic 1ME begin this year. because a lot of them are failling and i did not dare to update the software anymore because mine got stuck twice in the FW update..

So i relly on new hardware with 2 year waranty service now.. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

uli peters

PostSun Jun 18, 2017 1:58 pm

Think of the SOLO button and the MONITOR output more like a kind auf audio AUX bus...

It would allow for much more flexible routing and processing with external equipment if more then one audio source could be deembedded, mixed (fixed ratio) and routed to "MONITOR" output at a time completly independent from PGM.
All ATEM ME models and the PS have XLR monitoring outputs. It would really make it much more flexible.

+1

Xtreemtec

PostSun Jun 18, 2017 3:01 pm

Oke from a programmer standpoint i do see a problem with this. A Solo function is a Routing only function. Lightweight and easy to implement.

When you want to add more channels to that you have to SUM those digitial streams together in realtime. Offcourse this is "easy" with the current FPGA chipsets.. But it takes up a certain amount of recourses to do this.. While keeping "sync" and not compromise the other functions in the atem switcher..

So still from this standpoint i don't see this happen in the near future.. But hey.. it is good to bring it up.. Hopefully 1 of the Moderators will put this on the (allready long) feature wishlist
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

MambaFiber.com

PostSun Jun 18, 2017 11:29 pm

but who really wants to hear the camera operators speak?? :P
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Return to Live Production