Video Hub

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

scottduvall

Video Hub

PostWed Nov 21, 2012 2:41 pm

It might be something I am missing, but we use an atem 1me, and smart videohub. We use the aux outputs of the 1 me to control in room visuals, while also switching cams for webcasts. We would like to use the smart videohub more, to control changing sources to screens and monitors, however when a switch is entered, we often get a blank screen for a second, so it doesnt appear to be seemless. It looks like the projectors etc, are looking for the source, and then it switches over... again, am i missing somethng, or is this just the way it goes.

Brock Raum

Re: Video Hub

PostWed Nov 21, 2012 3:50 pm

That's how all routers work. High end or low end, you're switching a source and when that happens the screen or projector must adjust to the source. If you want to switch inputs for another screen you would need to pick up another small switcher like the ATEM TVS.

scottduvall

PostWed Nov 21, 2012 4:30 pm

I guess, my thought was if the sources are all matched, it would be seamless...or if there was a way to make it work more like a folsom, or barco screen pro. I love the routing feature to be able to adjust to client needs on the fly, but the random fliker, just doesnt look pro.

John Mortensen

PostWed Nov 21, 2012 4:56 pm

I switch IMAG using one of the ATEM Aux Busses.

The only issue is I can't access PGM or Clean Feed using the control panel

Darrell Sim

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Nov 22, 2012 7:24 am

To answer scottduvall, the ATEM 1 is a seamless switcher while the Smart Videohub is more of a matrix switcher as some might call it. The flicker caused while switching sources is due to the source getting sync/frame locked by the Smart Videohub. I'm afraid it's not possible to make it seamless on the Smart Videohub, however, like John Mortensen mentioned, you could use the ATEM AUX bus to do your routing too.

PGM and Clean Feeds are not assignable sources on the Control Panel on the ATEM 1. They must be assigned using Software Control. Kindly do take note that although it's easier to use the Control Panel for experienced operators, the computer is essential as certain key settings and functions are only accessible via Software Control.
Darrell Sim
Support Engineer
Blackmagic Design Asia
support-asia@blackmagicdesign.com

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostThu Nov 22, 2012 9:37 am

switcher have frame synchronizer on each input .. so switching is seamless .. router just switching inputs , whitch is not synchronized process ..
http://tally.pytkin.sk
http://chucktv.eu
http://www.stonepp.tv
http://www.media-planet.sk

denes44

PostThu Nov 22, 2012 12:44 pm

Darrell Sim wrote:Kindly do take note that although it's easier to use the Control Panel for experienced operators, the computer is essential as certain key settings and functions are only accessible via Software Control.

This is not something you can be proud of...

Btw, the keyword you are looking for, is protected sources. You can select PGM and Clean Feeds on the control panel (only for aux).

Darrell Sim

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Nov 23, 2012 6:18 am

My sincere apologies to John Mortensen for the wrong information. You are able to access PGM and Clean Feeds on the Broadcast Panel. Depressing 'SHIFT' and 'CUT/FILL' buttons simultaneously will allow you to access these sources. Please do kindly take note that this is only possible when you are in the AUX source selection mode. Again, my apologies for any misunderstanding or confusion caused.
Darrell Sim
Support Engineer
Blackmagic Design Asia
support-asia@blackmagicdesign.com

Aleksander Steffensen

PostSat Nov 24, 2012 11:18 am

Sounds like this is a projector-related problem. Very typical projectors to go all black or blue when signal is lost, then search for signal on another input. Try it with some other device, and you should only see a small glitch. If all your sources, destinations and the VideoHub itself are genlocked, the switching should be seemless.

One way you could solve the projector problem is to put a scaler between the projector and the router, so that it sends black to the projector when the signal from the router is lost. That way, projector won't be looking for sources because it won't notice the signal loss.
Steffensen Multimedia
http://www.stmm.no

Return to Live Production