BMPCC Hdmi Output Signal - TECH SPECs

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Matteo Ferreccio

BMPCC Hdmi Output Signal - TECH SPECs

PostFri Oct 17, 2014 12:06 am

Hello all! I am looking forward to buy an LCD or LED Monitor (not a field Monitor, just a regular computer monitor, big enough, for indoors/avaible power shooting).

Didn't choose model or size, but I'd like to make sure it works with the Pocket.

Can anyone write down/link the technical specifications I must check to make sure a monitor will work with the BMPCC?

Thanks everyone,
regards

Matt

Robert Betzner

Re: BMPCC Hdmi Output Signal - TECH SPECs

PostFri Oct 17, 2014 9:01 am

Just be sure that it works with 1080p signals. Most monitors do only work with 1080i as 1080p in 1,5G SDI (or HDMI) is not a regular format.

Since frimware 1.5.1 the pocket doesn't output 1080i anymore if you swicht off guides. That is a bug that was introduced with 1.5.1. With guides off the pocket should output 1080i as the BMCC does. But it doesn't.

Cheers

Jonas Bengtson

PostFri Oct 17, 2014 9:07 am

Robert Betzner wrote:Just be sure that it works with 1080p signals. Most monitors do only work with 1080i as 1080p in 1,5G SDI (or HDMI) is not a regular format.

Since frimware 1.5.1 the pocket doesn't output 1080i anymore if you swicht off guides. That is a bug that was introduced with 1.5.1. With guides off the pocket should output 1080i as the BMCC does. But it doesn't.

Cheers

It's more a feature then a bug tbh. I use the 1080p output all the time and would cry if it only did 1080i.

Göran Diffner

PostSat Oct 18, 2014 11:21 am

Why they removed 1080i50 it is really strange. A company that makes both cams and mixers and they cannot talk to each other? And its all just a little feature they could bring back in so easy. I would buy the studiocam anyway.

I have three pocketcams and am forced to keep at least one on older firmware so I can play with it with my tvs. I do have two intensity pro and a minirecorder capture card so I get around the problem anyway but it sucks you cannot get a 1080i50 signal out of that cam if you ask me.

(Mini in the box the chineese company have a cheap hdmi to sdi converter that works if you have acces to a sdi monitor. Cool part is it looks it works to use regular tv antenna cable for shorter distances. I am testing a 50 meter Biltema satelite cable and it seems to work.)
Last edited by Göran Diffner on Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jonas Bengtson

PostSat Oct 18, 2014 12:23 pm

Hey Göran, the new ATEM does 1080p50.

But i agree, they should have both. What they should not do is remove 1080p though.
We need to move forward to 1080p50/5995. It's about time.

Göran Diffner

PostSat Oct 18, 2014 1:16 pm

Ok it does thats good. To bad I bought the former generation atem tvs I should have waited for the new version and problem would have been solved.

The firmware update is there a chance that that will make my tvs do the same or is it a new unit I need?

Thanks

Göran Diffner

PostSat Oct 18, 2014 1:35 pm

Hmm must be an atem tvs in the pipeline cause when I read on the BM designs page its still only i and p is only for 720.

Tom_Bassford

PostSun Oct 19, 2014 7:50 am

The "new" ATEM TVS is the ATEM Production Studio 4k. Its been out for over a year.

chers
tom
http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

Jonas Bengtson

PostSun Oct 19, 2014 8:34 am

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... s/W-APS-04

HD Format Support
720p50, 720p59.94, 1080p23.98, 1080p24, 1080p25, 1080p29.97, 1080i50, 1080p50, 1080i59.94, 1080p59.94.

It's really nice working in progressive full HD.

Göran Diffner

PostSun Oct 19, 2014 9:38 am

The ATEM TVS is not the ATEM Television Studio ok. You really sure about that ? Never mind this topic is way of topic as it is.

I can say though that my atem tvs and the ones that black magic design sell are the same in all aspects as far as I can see anyway.

Edit: I checked again and you ate wrong it is still the same unit.

Robert Betzner

PostSun Oct 19, 2014 10:14 am

If you want to use the BMPCC with the "old" TVS then get firmware version 1.5 for the BMPCC and install it. It gives you the 1080i output back. On the BMCC you can use the recent firmware. So it's a bug. Why would they create firmware that behaves differently on their cameras?

Cheers

Göran Diffner

PostSun Oct 19, 2014 10:58 am

Not sure what you mean but we agree on one thing though and that is if you go back to 1.5 the pocket cam will output 1080i if you turn of overlays. But you will loose other functions you would want that come with newer firmware.

What is this the new and old atem tvs? There is only one atem tvs when I check on the bmd homepage.

Jonas Bengtson

PostSun Oct 19, 2014 11:00 am

Göran Diffner wrote:Not sure what you mean but we agree on one thing though and that is if you go back to 1.5 the pocket cam will output 1080i if you turn of overlays. But you will loose other functions you would want that come with newer firmware.

What is this the new and old atem tvs? There is only one atem tvs when I check on the bmd homepage.

The new one is not called TVS but production studio 4K, same in terms of features though.

Göran Diffner

PostSun Oct 19, 2014 12:31 pm

Ok I get it now it is simply what people would get today in favour of the older unit. Might be good though to make a diference between the two it can get really confusing for a beginner like myself and probably others too.

Thanks for the info gonna have to think it over if I should replace my tvs with the production studio 4 k.

I am on mac and for some reason CamTwist can see both my intensity pro and the ultrastudio mini recorder even though they shoot out different type of signals. The TVS output 1080i50 and the minirecorder output 1080p 24 fps, if I setup camtwist to 25 fps all seem to work ok.

An ordinary satelite coax cable seem to work just fine as a sdi cable at least up to 50 meters. So I am investigating how much I can squeze out of the stuff I have before I start planning for new gear.

I am sorry this got way out of topic. Over and out.

Göran Diffner

PostMon Oct 20, 2014 1:23 pm

I double checked the "new" atem switcher and it only have one hdmi input I really do not understand how you compare the two. This means you need hdmi converters on every consumer cam and the pocketcam for that matter so I have no use for anything like that at least not with the cams I own right now.

I also believe it is better to keep the amount of units in a signal chain to be as few as possible. Any extra you put in there will degrade the quality a little and so on.

Tom_Bassford

PostMon Oct 20, 2014 1:30 pm

HDMI is a useless connector / format which seriously limits your capability to run signals a decent distance. Converting to SDI is lossless and is a standard way to make HDMI usable in real world environments.. And anyway you are simply wrong about the HDMI count on the 4k Production Studio...

but whatever..
http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

Chad

PostMon Oct 20, 2014 7:17 pm

The ATEM 1 M/E Production Studio 4K has only 1 HDMI input, the cheaper model ATEM Production Studio 4K has 4. They are both 1U and can look very similar to those who don't know that there's a difference.

Jonas Bengtson

PostMon Oct 20, 2014 8:19 pm

Göran i don't know if you are from Sweden but if you are you can try to get a reseller account at deltaco.se and order HDMI->SDI for like 50 EUR and SDI->HDMI for 30 EUR. Really makes a difference in price and they really work. C

Göran Diffner

PostThu Oct 23, 2014 12:20 pm

Tom_Bassford wrote:HDMI is a useless connector / format which seriously limits your capability to run signals a decent distance. Converting to SDI is lossless and is a standard way to make HDMI usable in real world environments.. And anyway you are simply wrong about the HDMI count on the 4k Production Studio...

but whatever..

No its not I use it all the time its sucks for longer distanses but if you dont need looong cables its very good and accessable to most people on the planet so no need for expensive extra stuff but the cams.

Further more I do not believe sdi is lossless throw in stuff in that chain and things will happen that will reduce the quality.

Göran Diffner

PostThu Oct 23, 2014 12:28 pm

Jonas Bengtson wrote:Göran i don't know if you are from Sweden but if you are you can try to get a reseller account at deltaco.se and order HDMI->SDI for like 50 EUR and SDI->HDMI for 30 EUR. Really makes a difference in price and they really work. C

Yes I am Im in östergötland. Thanks for the tips but I already bought a chinese hdmi to sdi converter and it works good too. I paid round 500 swedish for it. I also found out uou can use biltemas black sattelite cable with f connectors and that kjell o company have f to bnc adaptors so Im already sdi all the way if I want.

There are no sdi on the intensity pro cards though so in that way its a dead end flexibilitywize. I mean with the sdi not the intensity pro they rock for sure good stuff have two of them.

Patrick Neese

PostMon Sep 21, 2015 5:34 pm

Which Chinese version did you get for HDMI to SDI. I've finally found an HDMI cable that works, after 5+ cables, three different converters and being sure the HDMI port was faulty. Finally, found a component adapter that isn't great (Ghosting on image), but works and verifies I can get HDMI signal. I bought a "no name" hdmi to sdi from eBay for ~$30 USD but the thing won't lock onto the BMPCC signal from the HDMI port. This is the one I bought that isn't working with the BMPCC, but does with other devices like a PS3, DVR, Etc. - MINI-3G-HDMI-1080p-to-SDI-Converter on eBay (part number 191311267265).

I have a Marshall daylight monitor with 3g/HD/SD SDI...so I'd prefer not to get a new monitor...and I'd prefer not to pay more than a new hdmi monitor for a converter.

Return to Live Production