Unable to capture from TVS with 6.1

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

James Hood

Unable to capture from TVS with 6.1

PostSun Oct 19, 2014 8:35 pm

After updating to 6.1, I've been unable to capture h.264 from the ATEM Television Studio via software control. I can click the padlock icon and see the audio levels and the time of "00:00:00", so it looks good at first. When I click the record button, the time doesn't start incrementing and I can't stop recording without quitting. No file is created.

I've tried making recordings through Media Express, but the output files are rather corrupted. The audio is generally good, but the video is mostly frozen out-of-sync frames.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling 6.1, but the problem persists.

Is anyone else having this kind of trouble after the 6.1 update? Is anyone able to record properly after the update? (Maybe I need to go back to 6.0 and then up to 6.1 again...)

James Hood

Re: Unable to capture from TVS with 6.1

PostSun Oct 19, 2014 10:37 pm

I downgraded to 6.0 and capture is working again. Has anyone had a similar experience on 6.1 with their TVS?

Robert Betzner

PostMon Oct 20, 2014 10:14 am

Yes same problem here. Capture doesn't work with TVS and 6.1.

Cheers

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Oct 20, 2014 11:06 pm

I tried capturing via the ATEM software on Mac and didn't have any trouble with 6.1. You might want to detail your setup to see if maybe it's something along those lines.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

James Hood

PostWed Oct 22, 2014 2:27 am

My experience was on Windows 7 x64. I have a Mac there too, but we have the switcher USB hooked up to the Win7 laptop.

Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Oct 23, 2014 5:03 pm

We are noticing similar behavior on Windows systems running ATEM 6.1. From our testing, it appears that writing the H.264 file to existing folders on the local drive or attached storage like a RAID might be giving problems. However, if you create a new subfolder such as on the Desktop or on the RAID, this seems to capture as expected. This would be considered a workaround while we look into what might be going on.

There are a few other potential workarounds. The issue does not appear to occur in Blackmagic Media Express. This software is included with the ATEM download and can be found in the Desktop Video folder of your programs. It will also detect the ATEM Television Studio as a capture device in much the same way as the Capture Media palette in the ATEM GUI. Just make sure that you turn off the Capture Media palette before launching Media Express so the Television Studio is available for the software to grab.

Additionally, as others have noted, the issue does not appear to occur in the previous ATEM 6.0 release. Rolling back to this software version could be a viable workaround for the time being.

The issue also does not appear to occur on Mac OS X systems. I'm not sure I'd classify this as a workaround, but perhaps some might find this useful.

I'll add that this seems to only be related to H.264 capture from the ATEM Television Studio's USB 2.0 connection. Users employing capture devices such as DeckLink, UltraStudio, or Intensity devices should not experience any irregularities.
Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

Robert Betzner

PostThu Oct 23, 2014 7:59 pm

Same here - win7/64.

Sometimes it works - sometimes not. There is no clear workaround as we have these problems on the local disk and and on USB disks too. Sometimes with subfolders.

So there is no clear workaround if you have to rely on your recording. It's unpredictable.

So please fix this bug ASAP. Thank you.

Cheers

James Hood

PostSat Nov 01, 2014 4:12 am

Thanks for the info Sarah. I have no pressing need to run 6.1 other than preferring to run the most recent release. :)

My 6.1 recording experience is very similar to what you describe. I was trying to save the file directly to the desktop. I'll keep an eye on the future releases.

James Hood

PostSun Feb 15, 2015 11:57 pm

James Hood wrote:I'll keep an eye on the future releases.

Looks like this is working fine again in 6.3! (I never tried 6.2.)

Return to Live Production