Hyperdeck timecode

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

James Stallings

Hyperdeck timecode

PostMon Oct 20, 2014 3:59 pm

I'm considering the possibility of ganging two hyperdecks with Sony control for sort of a dumb DDR for video+key effects. The only thing I can't figure out definitively is how timecode works on these things. Is there a setting for continuous timecode spanning the disks, or does timecode reset to 00:00:00.00 for every clip?

Thanks!

Chad

Re: Hyperdeck timecode

PostMon Oct 20, 2014 6:57 pm

Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure unless you are using an external Time Code generator, the Hyperdecks always use 0:00:00 for each clip.

Bo Skelmose

PostMon Oct 20, 2014 9:48 pm

You have to put a timecode generator on it - then there is no problem!

David Hutchinson

PostTue Oct 21, 2014 8:30 am

Let us know how the project goes - I'd be interested to know how it works out.

Cheers

David

James Stallings

PostWed Oct 22, 2014 1:42 am

Unfortunately I can't afford to be the guinea pig! Maybe I can get my shop to buy one hyperdeck for another purpose and hijack it for a few days.

Dave Del Vecchio

PostThu Oct 23, 2014 4:35 am

The Hyperdeck Studio Pro has a dedicated timecode input (via XLR). On the Hyperdeck Studio which lacks a dedicated timecode input, you can set the timecode handling to one of 3 options:

a) Preset - which starts the timecode of the next recorded clip at the value you preset
b) Last Clip - which starts the timecode of the next recorded clip to the end of the previous clip
c) Embedded SDI - which takes whatever timecode is embedded on the SDI input

The default setting is Preset (with a default preset value of 00:00:00) which causes each clip to start with that value. I think the Last Clip option (which is similar to Record-Run timecode) should do what you want. There is no free run timecode support (where the timecode advances even if the deck isn't recording).

James Stallings

PostThu Oct 23, 2014 3:41 pm

Dave Del Vecchio wrote:The Hyperdeck Studio Pro has a dedicated timecode input (via XLR). On the Hyperdeck Studio which lacks a dedicated timecode input, you can set the timecode handling to one of 3 options:

a) Preset - which starts the timecode of the next recorded clip at the value you preset
b) Last Clip - which starts the timecode of the next recorded clip to the end of the previous clip
c) Embedded SDI - which takes whatever timecode is embedded on the SDI input

The default setting is Preset (with a default preset value of 00:00:00) which causes each clip to start with that value. I think the Last Clip option (which is similar to Record-Run timecode) should do what you want. There is no free run timecode support (where the timecode advances even if the deck isn't recording).

That sounds very promising. However that brings up another question. By creating continuous timecode by assembling clips and using the "last clip" mode I should have the ability to cue up specific clips using a 9-pin controller. But if there is continuous timecode, would a specific clip continue to play on through all other clips after it? Or would the hyperdeck still know where the end of a clip is and stop playing - which is preferable.

By the way, can anyone say how fast the hyperdeck is in cueing and playing? I'm wondering if there is too much delay for this application.

Fred Rodrigues

PostThu Oct 23, 2014 5:00 pm

The ethernet is slower than the 9 pin and the 9 pin is fast, I did not do a test but it seems cueing is less than 2 frames. Maybe someone has a definite answer- baz has done a lot of work on this.

Fred
http://www.fredrodrigues.net/

James Stallings

PostThu Oct 23, 2014 5:12 pm

Fred Rodrigues wrote:The ethernet is slower than the 9 pin and the 9 pin is fast, I did not do a test but it seems cueing is less than 2 frames. Maybe someone has a definite answer- baz has done a lot of work on this.

Fred

Sounds good. I didn't realize it had ethernet control. What protocol is that?

Chad

PostFri Oct 24, 2014 5:05 pm

It is a proprietary, Blackmagic developed protocol. The commands are listed in the Hyperdeck user manual.

James Stallings

PostSat Oct 25, 2014 12:41 am

Thanks everyone for your quick responses. I'm feeling better about this particular hardware. I'm looking at stuff from Datavideo, AJA and others but the Hyperdeck seems to have the most bang for the buck.

Dave Glennie

PostMon Oct 27, 2014 9:16 am

Hi James,

We have 2 small Merc Sprinter sat trucks / multi camera units, which we use for soccer coverage for clubs & broadcasters- in each we have 3 Hyperdeck Studio Pro's, we use old Evertz TC generators for T.C ( time of day), and go into the ext timecode in XLR. You can get these for peanuts on Ebay…….

We use a Hitech HT445 and a HT884s controller using the RS422 inputs. Cue is pretty damn instant, but yes, unless you tell the controller to stop at the end of the clip ( which the Hitech ones will) it will run on to the next recorded clip. Not a problem for us as it's quick replays- but we either mark an out point, or set the menu to 'stop at end of clip'

We also have 'emergency' control using the app on the iPad if we need to do anything without the controller- but i've only needed to use that for fun.

We have 2 older Ashvale BVW style slo-mo controllers which will also control the Hyperdecks, so it's pretty standard RS422 control. Slo-mo stuff is very 'juddery' under about 70% speed- almost looks like the wrong field preference- but that's no to much of a problem for us. £3k worth of Hyperdeck Studio pro's or an HD EVS………? We'll use the Hyperdecks for now thanks……..

Good luck
Dave
Hi-sat Broadcast
DSNG HD uplink trucks x 2, PDW-700 XDCam HD x 2, PMW500, HDW-750 x 5,
Way too much BMD stuff to list!!

Don Miller

PostWed Jul 29, 2015 11:02 pm

Ok so I am trying figure something out with my HDSP's. I have three of them and I am trying get time code to them via an evertz8010TM. I am recording in HD...does it matter that my generator is SD? Could I potentially use a converter to take it 1080? TC is just a video sig but black so thinking it could work
(just grasping here...... Trying to avoid the 3k price tag for HD generator if possible.

Chad

PostFri Jul 31, 2015 1:58 am

For the Evertz I would use the LTC output via XLR into the Studio Pro, and not the SDI port for timecode. LTC is an audio/sound based time code signal and is not dependant on any kind of video resolution at all.

Return to Live Production