Ultra Studio 4K Ref in

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Jayme McColgan

Ultra Studio 4K Ref in

PostMon Oct 20, 2014 9:37 pm

i was wondering if i plug in a camcorder without genlock will the REF in (connected to our sync generator) act as a genlock for the camera?
Jayme McColgan
www.jimmyp.co

Chad

Re: Ultra Studio 4K Ref in

PostTue Oct 21, 2014 7:51 pm

No, you would have to plug the genlock into the camera to affect the camera. Are you trying to setup a 3d rig? Mostly the genlock on the Ultrastudio 4k is when using it to play out video not to capture it. I don't the Ultrastudio 4k has a framesync in it to time-align the inputs.

Jayme McColgan

PostTue Oct 21, 2014 11:37 pm

Chad wrote:No, you would have to plug the genlock into the camera to affect the camera. Are you trying to setup a 3d rig? Mostly the genlock on the Ultrastudio 4k is when using it to play out video not to capture it. I don't the Ultrastudio 4k has a framesync in it to time-align the inputs.

no we are using a Ross video switcher (for now) and we want to add a JVC ProHD camera we have laying around for a mobile camera shot.... just trying to figure out a way to do it with what we currently have.
Jayme McColgan
www.jimmyp.co

Chad

PostWed Oct 22, 2014 10:19 pm

Then you will need a framesync of some kind. Though, in case you didn't know, genlocking outside of the camera will only delay the signal to match the reference timing, it can't "speed it up" to reduce latency in an IMAG situation.

Jonas Bengtson

PostWed Oct 22, 2014 10:53 pm

Get an updowncross, feed it with reference, don't do any scaling, you'll have locked signal on the output.

Return to Live Production