Signal loss with HDMI to SDI 4k mini converter.

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

KatieDavidson

Signal loss with HDMI to SDI 4k mini converter.

PostTue Oct 21, 2014 8:55 pm

Hi!

We are having a signal loss problem with our HDMI to SDI4k mini converter. The problem is fairly random and inconsistent, so we are having trouble keying in on what the actual issue is. The screen will flicker to black and then come back on within 1 second, so we have ruled out an issue with HDCP.

We feel it could either be an issue with the converter box getting too warm, because when it is cool it is almost impossible to get it to lose signal. Once it heats up it's pretty much guaranteed that you will be able to make it fail. Alternatively it could be a problem of sending too much of certain colors, for example we were playing a video and there was a ~2 second shot that was mostly black with a little bit of white and it would cut out on that shot almost every single time (But not every time) and now we can't replicate that, it will show the scene every time.

Here is the signal flow:
2013 macbook pro
15' hdmi to dvi-d single link cable
Barco PDS 902
15' DVI-D single link to hdmi cable
HDMI to SDI4k mini converter
150' sdi cable
SDI to HDMI minicoverter
10' hdmi
Various monitors (Including a 90" Sharp Aquos and a 24" Asus PIP monitor)

We have also tried it without the barco and just connecting the mac directly to the HDMI to SDI 4k converter. But that didn't solve our issues.

I was wondering if anyone had experienced this issue and if you might know how to go about fixing it.

Thanks!

James Fuller

Re: Signal loss with HDMI to SDI 4k mini converter.

PostSun Nov 23, 2014 4:30 pm

Hey Katie,

I have run into this same problem before. The Black Magic gear is really sensitive to resolutions and frequency rate. So even if you are putting out 1920 x 1080 resolution the computer is putting out a 60 Hz frequency rate so it is a little off from 1080p59.94. Amazing how .06 can create issues huh? One way to remedy this is to run it through an expensive scaler and scale up the output put to 1080p59.94 or you can use Switch Res X which is a software that allows you to force a specific resolution and frame rate. Very slick program for a variety of fixes I have needed over years. It is like $22 which is not bad for what it does.

The software is made by Madrau. Couldn't get the link to post but if you search with Google for "switch res x" and it should be among the first results. If you have trouble finding it PM me and I will send you the link.

Another fix I have found works on some setups is the Gefen HDMI Detective for like $80. It basically mimics the EDID that gets lost or glitches. You can either read it from your device or programs to a specific one. Very good quick fix.

Let me know if you have any questions and I will be glad to respond back. Hope this helps!

Return to Live Production