Noise level of the Production Studio 4K

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

davepusey

Noise level of the Production Studio 4K

PostThu Oct 30, 2014 6:06 pm

We are looking to get an ATEM switcher.

Our decision is currently between the Television Studio and the Production Studio 4K.

We would prefer to get the Production Studio 4K due to it having an AUX output, however we are concerned it may be too noisy.

Can anyone with a decibel meter provide a reading of the noise level generated by the Production Studio 4K, or could someone provide a comparison with a similar type of noise level?

Nik Fox

Re: Noise level of the Production Studio 4K

PostFri Oct 31, 2014 9:06 am

I've seen people moaning about the noise levels of these but we have a 2ME 4K here & honestly, it is no noisier than anything else I've worked with of a similar nature (i.e: rackmounted mix engines). I'm used to building large TV & Radio facilities for broadcasters.

Yes, its noisier than most PCs, but what people must remember is that there is a whole heap of work going on in a very small box & thats going to get warm, so good fans are not optional. The TVS doesn't have any fans & gets very hot. That can't be good for the components.

Noise levels are probably similar, at least on the 2ME 4K to a Cisco Switch if that is of any help.

Tom_Bassford

PostFri Oct 31, 2014 11:09 am

The 1ME and other 1u devices are nosier than the 2k due to the really small fans they use.

You wouldn't want to have one directly on-set for a film production, but they are just about acceptable for a live event with an in room mix position.

I wish BMD would take heat and noise more seriously, it has been a constant issue with all their products for years now. I really hope they progress toward slightly bigger enclosures with bigger quieter fans in them.

cheers
tom
http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

davepusey

PostFri Oct 31, 2014 11:11 am

Presumably these are standard 40mm fans, as found in 1U Servers, and I could replace them with "silent" equivalents?

Tom_Bassford

PostFri Oct 31, 2014 6:38 pm

small fans either don't shift much air or make a lot of noise. You could replace the fans if you like, but you'd invalidate the warranty and if your fans don't move as much or more air then your device might die more quickly.

davepusey

PostFri Oct 31, 2014 8:43 pm

Out of interest then, what is the noise level (if any) of the Smart Videohub 12 x 12 ?

We could potentially then use a TVS, with the VideoHub providing our Aux?

Or does anyone have any other suggestions to do what we want...

What we want to do is take a clean feed of our Input 1 (before it gets keyed with graphics by the TVS or PS4K) to the Intensity Pro in our capture computer.

Two ideas spring to mind...

1. Feed the source signal into the Intensity Pro input, and then feed the passthrough output of the Intensity Pro into the TVS.

2. Feed the source signal into a HDMI to SDI 4K mini converter, and then feed on of the SDI outputs to the TVS, and the other to something like a Decklink SDI 4K in our capture computer (replacing the existing Intensity Pro).

Tom_Bassford

PostSun Nov 02, 2014 10:54 am

What context do you work in?

Cheers
Tom

Auto correct errors inserted by iPad using Tapatalk HD

RobAshard

PostMon Nov 03, 2014 12:30 am

Would a 1M/E (non 4k) do the trick? That has an Aux output.
And no fan. I've mounted mine at the back pf the rack facing backwards so the heatsink fins are in fresh air rather than inside the rack. Also allows easy access to the sockets.

davepusey

PostMon Nov 03, 2014 7:07 pm

robashard wrote:Would a 1M/E (non 4k) do the trick? That has an Aux output.
And no fan. I've mounted mine at the back pf the rack facing backwards so the heatsink fins are in fresh air rather than inside the rack. Also allows easy access to the sockets.

The 1M/E would probably be fine if it has the four HDMI inputs, but we are struggling to find a UK website that sells them.

RobAshard

PostWed Nov 05, 2014 12:41 am

Maybe they don't have any in stock, but this one seems to:-
http://www.videogear.co.uk/Production-A ... tAodS34AEA

And yes, it has 4 HDMI inputs and they work with Mac laptops (at 1080i) along with 4 SDI.

Very happy with ours.
www.corvettewebblast.com and the Youtube Corvettewebblast channel.

Return to Live Production