Looking for Help Finding a good HD DVD Recorder

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

LeeWells

Looking for Help Finding a good HD DVD Recorder

PostFri Dec 19, 2014 11:15 pm

I am purchasing the ATEM 1 m/e and need to find an affordable DVD recorder that can accept the switcher's program out signal. I am seeing some composite, component, and s-video recorders... Looking for a recorder with a digital format input. HDMI, or HD-SDI.

Mike Bernstein

Re: Looking for Help Finding a good HD DVD Recorder

PostSat Dec 20, 2014 12:12 am

Well I don't know if it is made anymore but the only one I remember was from JVC

JVC SR-HD2500

It was over $3000.

It can burn to Blu-Ray and record to Hard Drvie in HD.

Hope this can help you out!

LeeWells

PostSat Dec 20, 2014 12:42 am

Thanks!

I have this question into BMD Support... what about using the ProRecorder and using that file to burn a DVD from a computer... then that disk would go to the duplication towers.

I wonder if I will see any formatting issues when it's played with consumer-grade DVD players at home?

Sharyn Ferrick

PostSat Dec 20, 2014 3:09 am

JVC makes a few other models that are less expensive but to use them the input must be HDV vie firewire The hd1700is hd1350us are the model numbers B&H has these and the SR hd2500 which does support HD SDI and is 3,395 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8 ... _Disc.html

Sharyn

Mike Bernstein

PostSat Dec 20, 2014 4:12 pm

Do they even make a HDSDI or HDMI to Firewire?
If they do why would you want to convert the video?

Sharyn Ferrick

PostSat Dec 20, 2014 7:51 pm

The firewire units were made for the HDV cameras that were more consumer orientated, not unlike the earlier Firewire SD units from Panasonic. the only HDMI to firewire HDV unit I know of is the Grass Vallye ADVC HD50 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5 ... MI_to.html
Sharyn

Tom_Bassford

PostTue Dec 23, 2014 3:24 am

HD DVD? Really? Didn't BlueRay win?

Cheers
Tom

Auto correct errors inserted by iPad using Tapatalk HD
http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

Sharyn Ferrick

PostTue Dec 23, 2014 5:06 am

All of the above burn blu ray
Sharyn

Tom_Bassford

PostTue Dec 23, 2014 4:41 pm

i know.

the point i was making is that the OP hasn't got a clue what they are doing. DVD is SD, HD DVD is a dead format and everyone has been suggesting bluray recorders...

If people explain what they are wanting to achieve in full then it is possible to help them with real suggestions. But when people ask specific questions which actually make no sense then the forum just fills with noise.

What is the purpose of these recordings? Do they need to play back on existing DVD players? Or are they for archiving? or ???

There are loads of devices which are not HD DVD recorders which might be useful here, but suggesting any of them (including the already mentioned BluRay devices) isn't helpful without an idea of the end purpose.

LeeWells

PostTue Dec 23, 2014 7:04 pm

Tom,

Thanks for your reply.

The end use for the DVD is to be used in DVD players, not necessarily Bluray players. We are running an HD setup, not SD, but need to continue to provide DVDs for a while longer. The purpose for this setup is a convention-style venue where they make DVDs available for purchase. They do not want to be restricted to Bluray at this time.

The reason I mentioned HD is the difficulty in finding a standalone DVD burner with inputs other than s-video, component, or composite.

I have run into issues with using Apple's codec in creating files using the Intensity Extreme in H.264... so I am a little gun-shy when looking for a universal solution.

Any help is appreciated.

Tom_Bassford wrote:i know.

the point i was making is that the OP hasn't got a clue what they are doing. DVD is SD, HD DVD is a dead format and everyone has been suggesting bluray recorders...

If people explain what they are wanting to achieve in full then it is possible to help them with real suggestions. But when people ask specific questions which actually make no sense then the forum just fills with noise.

What is the purpose of these recordings? Do they need to play back on existing DVD players? Or are they for archiving? or ???

There are loads of devices which are not HD DVD recorders which might be useful here, but suggesting any of them (including the already mentioned BluRay devices) isn't helpful without an idea of the end purpose.

LeeWells

PostTue Dec 23, 2014 7:07 pm

After working on this a little more, I would like to find a way to author the DVD on an iMac... has anyone used BMD software to do this? Is it still limited by Apple's inferior codec?

I have been told by support to use a ProRecorder, but I'm not sure H.264 is what I really want.

Thanks again for your thoughts...

Tom_Bassford

PostTue Dec 23, 2014 9:49 pm

OK thanks for the better explanation of what you are doing..

So lets quickly refresh the basics of the DVD format...

DVD is MPEG2 at 720x480 @29.97fps. This is the format that you will need to encode to for the DVD authoring program. How and when you drop down to this depends on the amount oftime you have avilable and the the quality you require...

There are 2 basic workflows to consider, either you do a realtime downconversion and then record / capture to MPEG2 Standard Def. This is fastest, but is not the best quality.

The alternative is to capture your HD signal and then software convert to MPEG2 SD for your DVD authoring program. This has a couple of advantages, you can use a 2 pass encoding / downconversion process which results in better quality, and you retain the HD files for future use. The downside of this is it is slower, the cross conversion to SD MPEG2 can take a long time (as much as 5x slower than realtime to get the best quality)

The workflow I would suggest is to record your HD output as HD on a hyperdeck, or a computer with a decklink card (capturing to ProRes or DNxHD) Then import this file into an HD Adobe Premiere project. Add titles and boost the audio levels to be peaking near 0db then export to MPEG2 DVD format via Adobe Media Encoder. You can then author you disks with nice menus using Adobe Encore and output a master for duplication. Keep your premiere project and the HD originals and you can remaster an HD version for BluRay in the future.

This workflow will give you a very professional disk, which looks and behaves much like any commercial DVD.

If you need a faster workflow, then I would get a used Pioneer PRV-LX1 - it has SD SDI inputs so will take the downconverter output from the original ATEM 1me directly or if you have the 4k you would also need an UDC miniconverter or a Teranex to down convert and feed it with. This recorder is one of the only recorders ever released with decent disk authoring built in, you can load in your template graphics and have it produce a reasonable sellable disk. It's not quite as sophisticated as a computer based authoring system but its much faster. If fast turn around is crucial then this is the way to go, otherwise the computer based record and convert method is less costly and produces better results.

good luck
cheers
tom

LeeWells

PostWed Dec 24, 2014 6:42 am

Tom,

Thank you! This makes perfect sense. I am looking at the Pioneer PRV-LX1 for the quickest option. If the client wants other types of post work done, they can request and pay the fee.

Your help is much appreciated.

Wayne Rutherford

PostWed Dec 24, 2014 2:06 pm

I have the ATEM TVS unit with the built in recorder to mpeg4.
I capture that file with a Mac Mini on location.
During post, import the mpeg 4 to final cut pro X then export to Apple Compressor.
Compressor can export and burn a SD DVD or Blu-ray.
I did need to purchase an external Blu-ray burner.
Takes only 10 minutes of my time then let the Mac burn the files.

LeeWells

PostTue Feb 17, 2015 2:45 am

Wayne Rutherford wrote:I have the ATEM TVS unit with the built in recorder to mpeg4.
I capture that file with a Mac Mini on location.
During post, import the mpeg 4 to final cut pro X then export to Apple Compressor.
Compressor can export and burn a SD DVD or Blu-ray.
I did need to purchase an external Blu-ray burner.
Takes only 10 minutes of my time then let the Mac burn the files.

Wayne,

Thanks for this post!

Question: What are your file capture specifications? Frames/Bitrate, Etc.. I am assuming you are using Media Express?

Wayne Rutherford

PostTue Feb 17, 2015 4:24 am

I am capturing 1920 x 1080 I
I am just using the capture drop down in the stem screen.
It looks very clean even though I put the slider control at 80 percent.

Wayne Rutherford

PostTue Feb 17, 2015 4:37 am

A little more info...
After capture in ATEM
I import to FCPX, trim as needed, heads and tails.
Export to Compressor, add the preset for either Dvd-SD, or blu-Ray
Then burn, compressor calculates the data rate based on run time so
I can adjust that if I want.

Ramy Dooda

PostTue Feb 17, 2015 1:21 pm

yesterday, i got Panasonic DMR-EX86EB-K DVD Recorder with 320GB HDD.
it needs composite input (RCA), and it records live, then finalize the DVD in 6 minutes.

it worked fine, i make a test and play the final DVD in the car, it pulls well.

Ramy Dooda

PostTue Feb 17, 2015 1:22 pm

just you will need a 'down converter' inbetween to connect it with the output of the atem.

LeeWells

PostWed Feb 18, 2015 2:29 am

Ramy Dooda wrote:just you will need a 'down converter' inbetween to connect it with the output of the atem.

I have looked at several converters... Which one did you go with?

Ramy Dooda

PostThu Feb 19, 2015 1:37 am

I'm planning to use: Mini Converter SDI to Analog 4K
Give me few days to make a practical test,

Ramy Dooda

PostThu Feb 19, 2015 7:04 pm

Hello, i tried two converters today, both was OK:

1) Teranex 2D
for audio you'll need to take audio out from any point in your stream (recorder, switcher, or whatever) you have to have the audio into RCA connectors

2) Mini Converter SDI to Analog 4K (much cheaper)
for audio you'll need an audio adapter to convert the audio signal from 1/4'' to RCA connectors

LeeWells

PostThu Feb 26, 2015 6:04 am

Thanks to all for your replies!

I thought I would post the solution we decided to go with...

We are running from the ATEM 1ME to the H.265 Pro Recorder via SDI. Then USB2 to a MacBook Pro running Media Express... capturing an MP4. Then we go to Apples Compressor program to convert to MPEG2 and also burn the DVD.

Return to Live Production