Multiple instances Atem Software control

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Benny Bergström

Multiple instances Atem Software control

PostTue Dec 23, 2014 12:14 pm

Hi all!

I'm a bit confused - running Multiple Instances Atem Software Control on one computer- is that possible?

As i write this i have connected my 1 M/E to my TVS - started 2 Atem Software Control, changed the ip and it looks like it works. Is anyone else doing this or has anyone tried it? Please let me know becouse i'm all ears!

BTW - Merry X-mas and a happy New Year from Sweden :D

Richard Courtney

Re: Multiple instances Atem Software control

PostTue Dec 23, 2014 9:35 pm

You may have up to 5 programs/instances running your ATEM. Normally 3 is used. One on video tab.
Another on Media tab to upload graphics. Perhaps one monitoring Audio.

A GPIO /Tally counts as one of the limit.

hatzenbach

PostTue Dec 23, 2014 10:24 pm

I can get multiple instances to run on a pc, but not on a mac.
Has anyone managed to open more than 1 on a mac?
Hatzen Bach. Now calling Australia home.

lotech

PostTue Dec 23, 2014 10:37 pm

Just duplicate the Software control app with cmd-D. Boom. 2 copies.

Benny Bergström

PostWed Dec 24, 2014 2:01 pm

The thing here is as follow :-)

Atem 1 M/E with ip 182.168.0.10
HDSDI cable between them
Atem TVS with ip 182.168.0.11

Start up 2 Atem Software control use the different ip's.

Why do this someone might ask?
Well, since i have a budget and can't buy converters to all my HDMI cameras and since i have the NON 4K versions of the hardware i just love the fact that i now have placed the 1 M/E in my mediaroom and the TVS about 35 meters away and hooked up with 4 HDMI cameras to the TVS.

As you all know the limit for HDMI cable is about 10 meters, maybe some more meters if God is on your side and the sun is shining.

In the mediaroom where i have the 1 M/E i have hooked up the TVS via a HDSDI cable as "camera 8" and the computer i have in the mediaroom (with 3 monitors) i can now control both the switches.

This is great for a "poor" third division hockey club in Sweden that now have live HD webbcasts with instant replay, 8 cameras ( 2 moving ) , 2 commentators, stinger, pip, scoreboard, graphics, lower third and more :-)

All is done thx to BMD and at a "low cost" ...

So far 2 instances of Atem Software controlis running on one computer serving to switches ( 1 M/E and TVS ) at the same time and so far sogood - no chrashes!

dpictMEDIA

PostSat Dec 27, 2014 5:15 pm

BlackmagicSetUp.jpg
BlackmagicSetUp.jpg (159.02 KiB) Viewed 12314 times

I use 4 instances of the program all the time. I've used a dedicated PC to run just the switching/media instances for a 4K 1M/E and TVS - On the center 2 screens you can see how I have them open and switch quickly from media to switcher... works great - I just right mouse click on the ATEM icon on my taskbar to create another copy and change the ip address to control both units in the preferences menu.
Aric Mackey

Benny Bergström

PostSat Dec 27, 2014 8:08 pm

Nice Setup!

I just made the first live production with my new setup this evening - using instant replay plus 9 cameras :-) First it was a bit "hard" but after 15 minutes i was clicking like a pro ;-)

You se, i'm still very new to this and i have atleast 5 new "wow" each time i enter my little studio to learn new stuff. I might divorse my wife to get more time in the studio ;-) I'm an old man, almost 50 but since stumbling into this thing webcasting i feel like i'm 20 again!

Richard Courtney

PostSun Dec 28, 2014 2:03 am

Benny Bergström wrote:Nice Setup!
...I might divorse my wife to get more time in the studio ;-)

Better yet, get her into graphics so you can spend more time together!

Andy Matheson

PostWed Dec 31, 2014 4:47 pm

Excuse me.............! "old man".................. "nearly 50"..................... I left 50 behind too many years ago, but I still think I've got a few years in this business. Remember - a man is only as old as the woman he feels.

Roy Bastiman

PostSat Jul 30, 2016 4:26 pm

Hello, first post from a newbie with a new ATEM 2ME installation
It is working OK, but I would like to be able to run two instances of the control software for the reasons noted in the other posts above
So the question is...can two instances of ATEM control be run on a conputer with Windows 10 OS
Another user (don't know what his OS is) has told me that he simply opens two control panels by clicking in the control software tab, but, my computer simply ignores a second click on the software tab
If there is a newbie's guide to doing this I would be gratefull for a copy or indeed directions to it
Thanks

Roy Bastiman

PostFri Aug 05, 2016 9:59 am

hatzenbach wrote:I can get multiple instances to run on a pc, but not on a mac.
Has anyone managed to open more than 1 on a mac?

Would you let me know how you do this please
Others have said 'right click on the task bar icon and copy'
For me this produces a box with: > ATEM control, Umpin from task bar, Etc., but no Copy
This is very frustrating for us as Blackmagic support say that only one copy can be run anyway, (I assume on one computer) nothing else is supported
The lack of replys to my previous post on this matter leads me to think that skulduggery is afoot and the control software is being hacked to enable this level of control
Or of course it could just be a feature of Windows10 and it is all Microsoft's fault!!

derekhay

PostSun Aug 28, 2016 8:53 am

I tried to run multiple instances of the ATEM software a couple of weeks ago on a MacBook Pro, but was unable to open a second copy. Did not try on a PC. Was ver 6.8 (though 6.9 was available.) Would have been very useful, as I wanted to put the Mac in extended desktop to have the ATEM control panel software on the Mac screen and the ATEM audio control on the 24" monitor that was connected to the Mac. There was not space for me to add another computer (laptop) in the space we were using for our control room.

Alex Gorski

PostWed Aug 31, 2016 3:55 pm

Still no response(s) about multiple instances on OSX ??? For now, this only works under Windows.

MediaExpress is not locked and can be doubled up with the "Duplicate Exactly" command in the contextual menu. You can then adress two different Mini-Recorders for example, if you own a Mac with a double TB connection ( or a Duolink card in a Sonnet Enclosure as a possible alternative ).

But the ATEM control app is totally resistent to any real functional duplication under OSX, thus only allowing several Computers to share an ATEM in a network.

Hard to believe that a company like BMD, heavy on OSX adapted software, has no solution to this restriction.

I guess, we will have to use upcoming IBC to again ambush someone from BMD with enough intelligence and character to get the "right" answer.

If it's not happening here, it will happen there. The RAI venue is not a good enough place to hide from your customers.
1M/E Prod Studio 4K
2M/E Prod Studio 4K
Television Studio HD
Studio Converter
4 Camera Converter
Teranex 2D
Ultrastudio 4K
UltraStudio Express

Pavel Lavrov

PostWed Aug 31, 2016 11:35 pm

Latest firmware/software update also limits to one instance of software

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pavel L

Xtreemtec

PostWed Sep 07, 2016 12:34 pm

I have windows 10 and doesnt allow multiple instances too :( I would like this feature back as it was always handy to have the audio panel open to see all your audio channels while switching with another panel
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Scott Smith

PostWed Sep 07, 2016 8:13 pm

Pavel Lavrov wrote:Latest firmware/software update also limits to one instance of software

When you say this, do you mean on a single computer? Or do you also mean that you can no longer connect two computers - each running a single instance?
Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.

Xtreemtec

PostThu Sep 08, 2016 12:05 pm

Sorry i meant on 1 pc.. I have all multiscreen setups.. Even a 6 head machine in my OBV.. But if i now want to monitor switching and monitor audio i have to put an extra computer in there to allow me the second screen... :cry:

It worked for me back in the days of firmware 4 were it was possible to have 2 or 3 instances of the software open on same pc..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

dpictMEDIA

PostThu Sep 08, 2016 12:38 pm

I am with Xtreemtec! I can not figure out why BM would not allow this. And I can't imagine that it is a bug - has to be some kind of conspiracy to sell more computers as right now if you use the latest 6.9 updates you would need 3 computers to have Switcher/Audio/Media windows open. Shoots the idea of these switcher units being cost effective. Now, if there is some kind of conflict with 6.9 that will not allow this, BM, please tell us that this is the new normal and we can move on. I've even started to see black helicopters flying around my house after 6.9 install. CONSPIRACY
Aric Mackey

Scott Smith

PostThu Sep 08, 2016 2:43 pm

Good. Whew. Multiple instances are a must-have. If they can be achieved with multiple computers, then at least it can be done, even if it is a pain in the butt. You had me worried for a second.

If they would simply allow the windows for audio, video, etc. to drag and drop into a new window, that would also be sufficient, and with only a single instance. But we need to be able to see and adjust our audio mixer at the same time as switching our video. The same applied for dealing with the Media Player, or camera controls (for those who use them).
Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.

Cian O'Carroll

PostThu Sep 08, 2016 3:56 pm

Scott Smith wrote:But we need to be able to see and adjust our audio mixer at the same time as switching our video. The same applied for dealing with the Media Player, or camera controls (for those who use them).

I just discovered that this had disappeared. Absolutely - It is a must have. I use it all the time to keep and eye on the master audio levels. Real step backwards. Lets all shout together and they should re-enable it.

Youtube capture on the switcher from the ATEM USB was disabled in a previous release but thankfully it is back for this release. Let's hope the same thing happens with this.

dpictMEDIA

PostThu Sep 08, 2016 5:52 pm

I just sent in an email from the bottom of the support page. Please take the time to hound them a bit on this subject - thanks
Aric Mackey

Alex Gorski

PostThu Sep 08, 2016 6:24 pm

For those lucky to be in Amsterdam for this year's IBC, Grant Petty, BMD's BigBoss and shaker will be there, Hall 7 Stand H20.
It's again the biggest stand of this Main Hall devoted to all things Post.

Keep the BMD guys under pressure, ask them for a discussion, that is the only way to grab their limited attention. We need to do more than to send feedback reports that have no outcome.
Way better than to wait for a solution on this forum.

Otherwise, find out Petty's mail adress and let him know "directly" your discontent.
After all, he is no Steve Jobs.
1M/E Prod Studio 4K
2M/E Prod Studio 4K
Television Studio HD
Studio Converter
4 Camera Converter
Teranex 2D
Ultrastudio 4K
UltraStudio Express

Scott Smith

PostThu Sep 08, 2016 8:59 pm

Of course, Multiple instances aren't what is necessary. What IS, is seeing the screens at the same time. Honestly, I'd prefer a re-design of the interface to be like tabbed browsers, where you could tab between them, then pull off a tab into a separate window as needed.
Scott R Smith

dpictMEDIA

PostFri Sep 09, 2016 1:30 am

Just got this back from BM support.

"For reasons unknown to us, this was removed from the latest ATEM software. I have had another person with the same issue. I have passed this along to the developers to put back into the software but until that time, I would suggest rolling back to the version you were using that allowed this. We are not given time frames in which anything will be updated. We find out the day they hit our website. If you look at the Read More associated with the updates, I would think they would include this information there, since it has become"

Please take the time to email in a support ticket on this subject....
Aric Mackey

Cian O'Carroll

PostFri Sep 09, 2016 8:30 am

Scott Smith wrote:Of course, Multiple instances aren't what is necessary. What IS, is seeing the screens at the same time. Honestly, I'd prefer a re-design of the interface to be like tabbed browsers, where you could tab between them, then pull off a tab into a separate window as needed.

This would be much better, since it would only tie up one network connection rather than one for each instance.

Jan Bednar

PostThu Jan 26, 2017 1:07 pm

Hello,

the not allowed multi instance is a problem and I hope, I got some solution.
Just made few test, but you can use some sort of sandbox software, then it is possible.
In my case, I tried sandboxie.com, in free version it allows only one sandbox, but it is
ok for testing ;)

Start ATEM as normal and then in the sandboxie, "start program in sandbox" and put path
to atem. And it works ;) The sandbox should be better set-up, but I had not much time to play
with super setup and hopefully you can make some sort of shortcut to start atem or with right click
onto program "run sandboxed".

Hopefully, It will help you all.
John

Alex Gorski

PostSat Jan 28, 2017 2:24 am

Mmmmyeah well, Sandboxie is only MS Win Trickser.

Nothing here in our OSX world, so cherished and frontlined by the BMD Über-Father.

There is always a point where BMD 'creations' give you more headaches than joy.
This time has come back to haunt us again.

Must be a prerequisite when working for the dev team in that Aussie company.
1M/E Prod Studio 4K
2M/E Prod Studio 4K
Television Studio HD
Studio Converter
4 Camera Converter
Teranex 2D
Ultrastudio 4K
UltraStudio Express

Andrew D'eon

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 3:31 am

Easiest yet...

simply create another user account on the pc you plan to use for atem control, it will need a password,
open the first instance as normal, then the second instance you will click left shift key and right click on the icon and run as other user!
as simple as that plug in the credentials and you are rolling!

oh, and yes you can set up to control two ATEMS on the same pc simultaneously!

Alex Gorski

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 6:05 pm

Thanks Andrew, for your suggestion.

Not using any Windows based hardware, so this is not a satisfying solution.
Switching users is slower than changing tabs on the controller.
Same goes for switching users in OSX anyway.

But it's not too far fetched from what I actually do now, since the early days of this old thread :

On my Macs that have Parallels on board, I open a Windows session and start there the other ATEM controller with it's own VM based fixed IP and while being in Coherence mode, getting rid of anything Windowsy looking, pushing this virtual "instance" to a second screen in extended desktop mode.

Hence getting two controller GUIs visible all the time, with different tabs open as needed.
And having to only add a second screen is easier than to add another computer to the network.

I could have done the same with the free Parallels Lite version and another OSX package inside the main OSX, Russian Puppet style.
That's something I"m going to do on a forthcoming new MBP, as a precautionary method to preserve many legacy, 32bits based apps. A Mac in a Mac, the only way to keep old stuff working.

With a little help from VMWare & Parallels.
1M/E Prod Studio 4K
2M/E Prod Studio 4K
Television Studio HD
Studio Converter
4 Camera Converter
Teranex 2D
Ultrastudio 4K
UltraStudio Express

dwijadas

PostThu Dec 27, 2018 7:52 am

How about using Virtual PC in MAC or Windows ? since BM doesnt allow for now.

jack_on

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 3:08 pm

If you create a second user account on your mac. Then run in the terminal this command:

sudo -u <username> /Applications/Blackmagic\ ATEM\ Switchers/ATEM\ Software\ Control.app/Contents/MacOS/SwitcherGUI

BOOM, done.

RyanGallagher

PostThu Feb 07, 2019 8:24 am

jack_on wrote:If you create a second user account on your mac. Then run in the terminal this command:

sudo -u <username> /Applications/Blackmagic\ ATEM\ Switchers/ATEM\ Software\ Control.app/Contents/MacOS/SwitcherGUI

BOOM, done.

Now that is a hell of a tip. I'll have to try that. Cheers!

(Just tried it, works great.)

If you want to get your terminal back try backgrounding the process and sending output to dev/null too:

sudo -u <username> /Applications/Blackmagic\ ATEM\ Switchers/ATEM\ Software\ Control.app/Contents/MacOS/SwitcherGUI &>/dev/null &

Sashaz

PostMon Oct 12, 2020 6:59 pm

Just want to add that this works perfectly on 10.15.7 Catalina.

Just add as many users that you need in the users and groupd section. Keep in mind that your users folder will have these extra users now.

Good job Jack!!!!

joefish

PostMon Oct 12, 2020 7:37 pm

No need to create another user account on Mac OSX.

You can simply start the first instance of Atem Software Control as you normally would, and then run the following command in terminal:

nohup sudo /Applications/Blackmagic\ ATEM\ Switchers/ATEM\ Software\ Control.app/Contents/MacOS/SwitcherGUI

Horton Siu

PostTue Oct 13, 2020 6:28 am

joefish wrote:No need to create another user account on Mac OSX.

You can simply start the first instance of Atem Software Control as you normally would, and then run the following command in terminal:

nohup sudo /Applications/Blackmagic\ ATEM\ Switchers/ATEM\ Software\ Control.app/Contents/MacOS/SwitcherGUI

It's work! Thank you so much! :lol:

Return to Live Production