Sdi feed distance

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Joey Riggins

Sdi feed distance

PostThu Jan 08, 2015 5:38 pm

I have a pretty simple setup at our church. Out of an iMac mini display to hdmi converter into a heavy duty black magic hdmi to sdi converter. From there, I go 100' to another bmd sdi to hdmi converter into the projector and then I use the sdi through to go to another project. This works fine. My second sdi output at the computer end feeds a confidence monitor. I need to add four tv's with this same feed in our outdoor lobby area. The run is nearing 275- 300'. Whats the best way to go about getting our images outside. Will i need a repeater for that distance? Obviously, i'll need some type of sdi distribution amplifier because currently i am out of outputs. I'm thinking an sdi amp at the computer and an sdi amp at the out door lobby end. What do you guys think?

Thomas Seewald

Re: Sdi feed distance

PostThu Jan 08, 2015 8:40 pm

If you can daisy chain the monitors, you can use SDI to HDMI converters with SDI loop output. So you don't need a distibution amplifier and you can use normal montors / tvs (or does your montors really have SDI inputs ?)
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

Lance Lewis

PostFri Jan 09, 2015 6:33 am

On belden 1505a cable you can go just over 300'. 1694 belden should get you just over 350'. That's without repeaters
-Lance Lewis
Champion Video
www.ChampionVideoOnline.com
Neenah, WI

dellmed

PostWed Jan 31, 2018 2:00 pm

I am planning a similar setup with SDI feed out from ATEM TV HD. The first TV about 100 feet away. I plan to put a BMD SDI to HDMI Micro converter at the TV and then SDI out to the 2nd TV about 50 feet away with a BMD Micro converter SDI to HDMI at the TV and then SDI out to the 3nd TV another 50 feet away.

Will this work or do i need to put in a SDI distribution amp at the atem tv hd SDI OUT

Andrew Martin

PostWed Jan 31, 2018 8:38 pm

??? I know with the larger converters the SDI loop through is re-clocked but not sure on the micro series..
Using a cable rated for 3g you should get a 320ft /100m span anyways, as ur running a length out approx. 200ft you should be ok.

Check out the cable specs, capabilities and advised lengths here...
http://media.beldensolutions.com/psg/?_ ... =376942054

Dave Del Vecchio

PostWed Jan 31, 2018 10:07 pm

According to the product page, the Micro Converters also include re-clocking of the input signal:
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... converters

In terms of maximum cable lengths, the Micro Converters seem to do as well as the larger 3G Mini Converters, in my experience.

I've used the loop through output on the SDI to HDMI Micro Converters lots of times in a daisy chain configuration to send an SDI video signal to multiple HDMI-input TVs. Just have one converter at each TV and loop through SDI output to the next one.

The only real downside to this approach over a distribution amplifier (DA) is if you have an unstable power source somewhere in the chain (running off batteries, or if the converter is plugged in to a power strip with a switch someone could accidentally turn off, for example). Because if one of the converters loses power, you lose the video signal to anything further down the chain. With a DA and separate cable runs to each monitor, loss of signal or power at one monitor wouldn't necessarily affect the others.

Return to Live Production