ATEM 2 M/E Switcher

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Steve Dillingham

ATEM 2 M/E Switcher

PostFri Jan 23, 2015 4:07 pm

We are considering buying an ATEM 2ME switcher for our church production but would first like to get some opinions from those of you that are actually using it.
Thank you!
Steve

MambaFiber.com

Re: ATEM 2 M/E Switcher

PostFri Jan 23, 2015 11:27 pm

are you buying the new 4k version? or the original 2m/e?

we have 2 of the original models. The units do get very hot without additional cooling, so much so that we would not want to run them at all without the fans in our racks. Heat this high left unchecked is bound to spell failure… We had a lot of issues when we first got them (2013), especially with the input frame syncs. only 4 inputs were truly stable to use. this was finally fixed by BMD firmware after over a year of waiting. We have only upgraded to ver 5.1 so far, as version 6 crashes/freezes randomly on our mac computers. Happily everything has performed well over the past year or so on 5.1. One system is on a 19 week package covering US PGA golf for SKY Sports (see our FB page). The other works the occasional random show and is available for redundancy on the golf show.

we are thinking about another 2m/e, and will probably have to go the 4k route this time around. we also have a 1m/e 4k and boy are the fans noisy on this thing. it does seem to run cooler at least. if the 2m/e being bigger means that it is even noisier i don't think that I would like this too much. but noisey vs hotter is a good call IMO. so far the 1m/e seems to run fine, but we don't have it in a regular production yet.

it's hard to find the ATEM feature set on anything else at this price point. just realize that the cheaper price means very little support and no warranty option at all after BMDs expires (disposable).
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Steve Dillingham

PostSat Jan 24, 2015 4:48 pm

Thanks for your comments, Greg! We're considering the 4k version while also looking at the Ross Carbonite 2ME which is about $15K higher than the BMD. One of my main concerns is reliability over the long-run since we expect this to last for the next 10 years or so. We're just struggling trying to justify why should we spend an additional $15K for the Ross when the BMD will essential perform the same tasks. Why is the BMD less expensive!?! Thanks again for your comments, Greg! And if you have anymore input, I would greatly appreciate it. Steve

JD Ainsworth

PostMon Jan 26, 2015 1:03 am

Our church just purchased the ATEM 2 M/E and a couple of the broadcast panels. We've only been using it for a few weeks. Overall, we are happy with the change to the Blackmagic switcher. A couple of things that have been an issue for us.

1) If you are planning to use video from an Apple computer, you will have to find a converter that will work. We tried the Blackmagic HDMI to SDI and could never get it to work. We have ordered a few of a different converter that others on this forum have said works for them.

2) We use the M/E 1 output for our TV broadcast and live stream. We use the M/E 2 output for IMAG. Unfortunately, neither the multi view screens or the Blackmagic Tally interface reflect which input is live on M/E 2. You will only get tally for M/E 1. Our camera guys can not tell when they are live on IMAG. This has been a pretty big deal for us. I am looking at another option for tally outputs. (SKAARHOJ E21-GPIO2)

The aux outputs are great. We feed TVs in the lobby, confidence displays and other displays with them. It's very handy to be able to change those feeds on the fly.

I hope this helps. I'd be glad to try and answer any other questions you might have.

Steve Dillingham

PostMon Jan 26, 2015 1:47 am

Thanks for your response, JD. With regard to your second issue, would it be possible to run IMAG on M/E 1 and Livestream on M/E 2. Just curious because this is a similar situation we would be using. We stream our services on Livestream and we also shoot IMAG. Tally's are a must so I'm really interested on how this all works. Thanks again for your response! Steve

lotech

PostTue Jan 27, 2015 7:07 pm

Yeah I think you have it round the wrong way JD - In room on M/E1 and broadcast on M/E2 where you can use the M/E1's switch but with wides and other shots that aren't necessary for people in the room.

We have an older 2M/E and have never added more cooling and never had it crash or get too hot - and we regularly use it at music festivals and events. We do generally have it with BNC's pointing outwards at the back so we can access the ports and let the heatsink be exposed to air.

Chad

PostTue Jan 27, 2015 10:51 pm

We also have an original 2 M/E and use M/E 1 for IMAG and M/E 2 for broadcast (online and multi-site). We also call out our camera shots over comms (ready 1, take 1) and haven't had a problem. Though our run of show is pretty scripted since it has to be replicated 6 or more times every weekend.

We mounted our 2 M/E at the top of an open air rack with adequate spacing between the other equipment and have never had overheating problems.

JD Ainsworth

PostThu Jan 29, 2015 3:25 am

Thanks guys but until tally outputs work on M/E 2, I'm stuck with using M/E 1 for broadcast. We have called shots over clearcom in the past and it just doesn't work for us. Our IMAG consists of mostly a close up of the speaker or our ProPresenter input. Our primary focus is our broadcast and live stream. That is where we need the tally output the most.

Return to Live Production