Screen resolution for running ATEM 1

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Simon de Swardt

Screen resolution for running ATEM 1

PostTue Dec 11, 2012 8:41 am

Hi, first post here.
I remember reading somewhere that there was a minimum screen resolution to run the ATEM 1 M/E switcher software. I can't find this information anywhere.

I have a MacBook Pro with resolution of 1280x800. Is this sufficient to run the switching software?

And as a second question: is it possible/a good idea to run the ATEM switching software and simultaneously record an H.264 feed from the H.264 Pro going into the same computer?

Liam Kennedy

Re: Screen resolution for running ATEM 1

PostTue Dec 11, 2012 9:03 am

The ATEM Control Software (on Windows.. probably same on Mac) is 1360 x 680 pixels. So your Mac would not display the entire control surface.

It's absolutely possible to both control the ATEM and record the H.264 on the same computer. In fact when controlling the TVS the ATEM Control Software has an in-built recording panel that allows you to control the recording directly within that (no need to use the Media Express software separately)

EDIT: Oh... but you have a 1/ME? That doesn't have the in-built H.264 encoder. So you be using the standalone H.264 Pro Recorder of course. I'm not absolutely sure if that will be recognized by the ATEM Control Software. It might be anyway. If it isn't... you can always run Media Express to start the recording then minimize it. Saving the H.264 stream doesn't take a lot of hard work on the computer... so you should still be OK. Note of warning however... if you search here you will find reports of people who have experienced audio sync issues - and corrupted recordings. You might want to ensure you have a very reliable setup and possibly have multiple methods of recording your video.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

Chris.Walsh

PostTue Dec 11, 2012 7:18 pm

Using the 1 M/E and the H.264 ProRecorder you can record from within the ATEM control panel. It shows up in the bottom right tab labeled "Capture".

Regarding recording and controlling from the same machine. I do it all the time and have had very few issues.

Simon de Swardt

PostWed May 15, 2013 2:38 pm

Having now received the equipment I can update this:
The Software contol panel still functions on laptops whose screen resolution is lower than the specced minimum. You just lose a slice of the edges of the software control panel but it is very usable as you can drag the panel on the screen to see the missing edges, for example when you are setting up the switcher.
So you do not need to buy a second external monitor of higher resolution in order to get it to work - it still works at lower resolution.

The problem is just that it cannot be resized to a smaller resolution.

The lost edges presented almost zero inconvenience for me at an event last week where I used the switcher three hours a day for 7 consecutive days.

Darrell Sim

Blackmagic Design

PostThu May 16, 2013 2:45 am

Hi,

The minimum screen resolution for ATEM Software Control to run is 1366x768. You may find this in the tech specs on our ATEM product page. Here is the link for your reference. http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/product ... techspecs/

There are 2 ways of capturing a H.264 feed and switching on Software Control at the same time. You may use the 'Capture' processing palette on the Switcher tab of Software Control. Tick 'Enable Capture' to enable the capturing function. 'Capture Setup' will allow you to configure the capture settings. The other method will be to run Media Express simultaneous. Do remember to enable 'Continue playback when in the background' option which can be found under Preferences, otherwise Media Express will stop capture everytime you switch windows.

The downside of capturing using Software Control is you are not able to monitor feed as there is no preview window like Media Express, so you won't know if there are any glitches in your recording. Some users had previously noted that it was a little distracting to switch and monitor the feed using Media Express while using only a single display. It might be advisable to get an secondary monitor in that case as you can switch on one monitor and monitor your feed on the other.
Darrell Sim
Support Engineer
Blackmagic Design Asia
support-asia@blackmagicdesign.com

Simon de Swardt

PostThu May 16, 2013 4:25 am

Thanks Darrell
But just to reiterate - with lower screen resolutions Software Control Panel will still run but you cannot see the whole panel. On my Macbook Pro, resolution 1280*800, the few pixels lost at the edges were not a problem.

Julian Dahl

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 10:14 pm

What kind of weird issue is this? Why arent the software adaptive like every other app out there?
Makes no sense...
Mac Pro 7.1 48GB, RX5700 8GB, 12c, OSX 10.15.7

Return to Live Production