Live Production Kit SPORT

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Teebaleez

Live Production Kit SPORT

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 3:59 am

Can anyone recommend a basic set-up to do a live production broadcast for sport? Need it for the following:

- 4 x cam set-up (XDEX)
- 1 x radio mic for referee
- RF Comms
- Talkback (Director to commentators and cam ops)
- Monitor for commentators (HDMI will do)
- Record and capable of live replay action
- Live Stream capability
- Post production to re-edit package from 90 to 60 minutes

The budget is tight, but i've been sussing out a few things to throw together for a live prod kit such as:

- ATEM 1/E production switcher
- ATEM 1/E broadcast panel
- ATEM studio converter
- ATEM camera converters x 4
- HyperDeck Studio

Externally supplied:

- HDMI monitors
- RF comms pack

That's all going a bit over-budget, but what say your opinions? Have yet to go into a reseller to talk more. All suggestions/recommendations welcome.

Cheers

Daniel Knoche

Re: Live Production Kit SPORT

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 4:19 am

Hi,
Not sure if you know but Hyperdeck Studio cannot record and playback simultaneously. You actually need to stop recording in order to playback. So would need 2 if you want to record the whole match on one and use the other for replay.
The other option (if you have 1 hyperdeck) is to capture to a computer, believe you can connect from the ATEM via USB for streaming and at the same time use Media Express for a high quality capture. The only thing is you would need something like an Ultrastudio Express or mini recorder to capture.

Also seems you have no talkback for the commentators in the system.
If you want to reduce cost, may consider not using a panel and using the software interface, know can take some capabilities away and feel a bit weird but...
Daniel

Teebaleez

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 5:09 am

Cheers for the info. Playing the 'live replays' is a biggie, so perhaps i need to make some sacrifices in budget to get that thing happening at least...anyone concur?

None-the-less sounds like i'll need a number of extra peripherals to make it all happen, but i also wonder if the kit i've listed is really everything that i need?

Shaun C. Roemich

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 5:24 am

Since you have spec'd camera converters, you'll need fibre optic cable... have you priced that yet???
Shaun C. Roemich
Big Dog at
Road Dog Media
Vancouver, BC
www.roaddogmedia.ca

Teebaleez

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 5:48 am

Nah i haven't. I considered the cables would be part n parcel. Do they make 'em 100m max in length?

Thomas Seewald

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 8:26 am

Not sure if you know but Hyperdeck Studio cannot record and playback simultaneously

also tape based decks, used for slomo .... ;-)

Someone here in forum were using the DNF 300-Controller for contolling the Hyperdeck, especially the playback speed (for sports replay important).
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

Teebaleez

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 10:04 am

Even more peripherals! Good to know though, but "tape based decks"? Slow mo is definitely needed for try scoring clips...

Thomas Seewald

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 11:38 am

Its equal, if you use a Tapedeck or an SSD-Deck for your sloms, but in both cases, you need an external controller. And while playing the slomo this deck could not continue recording (no chase play)

It was just a hint, that in the past, lots of slomos were made by tapedecks, wich have the same problem - no chase play !

When a ready solution is wanted, may be th Newteck 3play slomo system is suitable and affordable. A cheap solution could be using the switcher software VidBalster (vidblaster.com), which have a slomo module.
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

Shaun C. Roemich

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 1:24 am

Teebaleez wrote:Nah i haven't. I considered the cables would be part n parcel. Do they make 'em 100m max in length?

Fibre is available in as long a length as a cable spool will allow, which I assume is in the thousands of feet. Fibre isn't CHEAP... cheaper than old multicore, absolutely but when you said you were approaching your budget, I thought I better through in that you are looking at a chunk of change for cables.

ADDENDUM: JUST checked Markertek.com

WOW! Fibre has come down... my concern is pretty much moot. Fibre is ALMOST comparable to premium HD-SDI right now...
Shaun C. Roemich
Big Dog at
Road Dog Media
Vancouver, BC
www.roaddogmedia.ca

Teebaleez

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 3:06 am

Cool, will check out the suggested external controllers for the decks and fibre optic cabling. The spool sounds like the option there. Cheers for the heads up!

If you want to reduce cost, may consider not using a panel and using the software interface, know can take some capabilities away and feel a bit weird but...

Looks like i might have to go with this option mate.

KEEN on seeing if anyone else has put together a small basic live production kit for OB's required for sport using the ATEM 1/E production switcher...any specific types of configs, set-ups etc...

Return to Live Production