SmartView SD 16:9

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

derekvw

SmartView SD 16:9

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 9:43 pm

When I put my smartview duo into 16:9 mode for SD, the image appears to shift over to the left a bit and leaves a black bar on the very right of the monitor. How can I fix this?

Thanks.

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

Re: SmartView SD 16:9

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 12:07 am

I'll have one of my techs check this next week.
Joshua Helling

Director of World Wide Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

derekvw

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 12:35 am

I did a firmware update and that fixed it a bit but I'm still getting smaller black bars to the immediate left and right of the image.

Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Dec 18, 2012 12:47 am

Hi Derek,

Would you be able to post a pic of what you're seeing? I've tested this out on our equipment, and I'm seeing that there is about a millimeter of black between the image on screen and the SmartView Duo's metal chassis. I'd like to see if what you're seeing differs from what I'm seeing here.
Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

Raphaël Jacquot

PostTue Dec 18, 2012 9:35 am

I'm having a similar effect, however I'm getting something that looks like a ghost of the last column of pixels, about 30% luminosity from the normal image, over a couple of millimeters. I'll try to take a picture tonight.

Raphaël Jacquot

PostTue Dec 18, 2012 9:00 pm

ok, here's what I get...
the chain I use is : freebox composite out => bmd analog->sdi => bmd smartview duo

smartview duo bug-small.jpg
smartview duo bug-small.jpg (173.05 KiB) Viewed 3031 times

Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Dec 19, 2012 8:18 pm

Hi Raphaël,

Just so I'm clear on what we're looking at, are you talking about the lower portion of the image next to what I believe looks like someone's neck? I'm looking at the blue-ish video between the neck and the SmartView chassis. I see a black line then a thinner blue-ish line. Is that thin line coming through on the actual LCD, or is that reflection on the metal chassis? When I see something similar on our SmartView, it's actually the image reflecting on the metal and not on the LCD, and if I move from side to side the reflection grows or disappears. Can you confirm I'm looking at the correct item in your picture?
Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

Raphaël Jacquot

PostThu Dec 20, 2012 12:55 am

Sarah Jones wrote:Hi Raphaël,

Just so I'm clear on what we're looking at, are you talking about the lower portion of the image next to what I believe looks like someone's neck?

this is correct.

I'm looking at the blue-ish video between the neck and the SmartView chassis. I see a black line then a thinner blue-ish line.

there is the neck
then we have 8 pixels which appear to the the copied from the last column (they appear to be all identical - those only show on that particular channel, not a smartview bug)
then there is about 6 pixels of black (which appear to be constant, whichever channel I'm on)
the blueish line is actually the border of the LCD

Is that thin line coming through on the actual LCD, or is that reflection on the metal chassis?

looks to me like light leak from the back light

When I see something similar on our SmartView, it's actually the image reflecting on the metal and not on the LCD, and if I move from side to side the reflection grows or disappears. Can you confirm I'm looking at the correct item in your picture?

it also looks like there are some (about the same number) black pixels on the bottom of the screen

derekvw

PostThu Dec 20, 2012 5:20 am

Here's a picture of what I'm seeing. Should the image fill the frame or is this what I'm supposed to be seeing?
Attachments
406668_4433293505074_577758050_n.jpg
406668_4433293505074_577758050_n.jpg (94.07 KiB) Viewed 2967 times

Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Dec 20, 2012 9:00 pm

The black lines to the sides and top of the image are normal and are present on our SmartView Duos and SmartView HDs here as well. The lines are most noticed in SD video as the video is scaled to fit the screen, but they are present in HD video as well. The video does not fill all the way to the metal chassis, similar to common LCD monitors, like my computer monitor for example, where the video does not fill to the very edge of the screen.
Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

derekvw

PostMon Dec 31, 2012 10:26 pm

Ok, thanks for that information.

Does the SmartView Duo have any processing on the SDI output or is it a straight loop through? The reason I'm asking is because some SDI inputs to the monitor appear as if they've lost half the frames when I loop the output to a second device.

Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jan 07, 2013 8:22 pm

The SmartViews have a passive loop through, so no processing. The SmartView itself may do some processing to your image (like de-interlacing for example), which may be handled by another device differently. I would expect that if you sent a source directly to your second device and then sent it to that second device via the loop through, the second device would display the same in both scenarios. However, when you compare what's displayed on the SmartView to what you see on the second device, these may differ due to differences in processing.
Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

Return to Live Production