Smart Videohub CleanSwitch 12x12 clarification

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Ron Valer

Smart Videohub CleanSwitch 12x12 clarification

PostFri Apr 17, 2015 10:53 am

Smart Videohub CleanSwitch 12x12 is described as having built in re-synchronizer in each input.

What does it means "re-synchronizer" line synchronizers or frame synchronizers ?

Is it possible to have free-run sources (not genlocked) at the input of the matrix (as in frame sync) or there is a relatively narrow timing window for the incoming video source (as in line sync) ?

Other unclear presentation says (quote):
"Supports multiple formats on the same router at the same time and will clean switch between multiple formats that match the reference frame rate when the switching is between the same video standard."

My question is how is this possible/achievable:
"will clean switch between multiple formats that match the reference frame rate"
(up-down -cross conversion?)

And the third and last question is whether all 12 outputs are clean switch or not.

Ron Valer

Re: Smart Videohub CleanSwitch 12x12 clarification

PostWed Apr 29, 2015 10:29 am

Is it too soon to ask about these capabilities of Smart Videohub CleanSwitch 12x12 ??

Raphaël Jacquot

PostWed Apr 29, 2015 9:23 pm

it's a frame synchronizer, think of it as a 12 input / 12 output atem mixer with only cut functionnality

Peter Butterworth

PostFri May 22, 2015 7:02 am

I'm pretty amazed by this myself. If it is 12 x frame syncs then that's generous for an extra $100.
Then it must delay by a frame worst case and not delay locked sources ? 12 x up/down converters as well, surely not. Delaying the switch by lines would have a limited window.

Hey, if it has a frame memory on each input then how about a freeze button or it freezes when the
source goes awol.

I'm in the market for a router that I want to use upstream of a mixer for source pre-selection, I was
prepared for crash switching but this opens up new possibilities.

Either way, more stunning tech from BMD. I hope they will explain it in more detail.

Mike Murrian

PostMon Jan 18, 2016 5:12 am

There is a notable frame delay in this unit. Will the syncs be able to be switched off in later firmware if not needed or am I overlooking this option?

Xtreemtec

PostFri Jun 24, 2016 5:21 pm

Like Mike i would like to know if the cleanswitch function can be switched off.. Some productions it is good to have this function.

But i also have some gigs were i need to elliminite all possible extra delay, while the sources are unlocked.. Just need it to route it to screens. So is it possible to bypass / switch off the cleanswitch function?
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Peter Collis

PostTue Jun 28, 2016 11:09 am

I've tried using our 12x12 Cleanswitch as "a box of frame synchronisers", so we can present its outputs as genlocked sources to our main router and ATEM switcher.
I was surprised to find that our 12x12 appears to effectively genlock its outputs to follow the synch of its first (SDI) input and NOT that of the reference input provided (PAL analog black, in our case), which appears to have no genlocking effect, whether or not it's plugged into the 12x12.
So to use it as a "box of synchronisers", we have to feed ATEM program SDI output into the 12x12 input 1, to provide a synch reference.
We did a couple of international sports OBs this way and got away with it, with no observed issues.
(I suspect this arrangement causes some vertical phase delay of the 12x12 outputs compared to the other genlocked sources in our system, as ATEM PGM out is probably not phased too closely to the system reference.)
To my way of thinking, the 12x12's output timing should ALWAYS IGNORE the timing of its inputs altogether, and lock only to its genlock reference source input, otherwise an unstable input 1 source would destabilize all outputs of the 12x12 at once, with a devastating outcome for any production being run through it.
Perhaps there is something intentional going on, where in the event of the 12x12 not sensing an acceptable reference input, it reverts automatically to referencing itself to input 1, so as to at least enable clean switching (as long as input 1 remains stable, itself).
This is till a scary concept, IMHO.
It would be interesting to learn what the "rule book" for genlocking the 12x12 Cleanswitch actually is.
Has anyone else experienced anything like this with the Cleanswitches? Have I missed something?
Apart from this question, it's a wonderful little box with lots of great uses, which are of much help to us in the work we do.

JohnBengston

PostTue Jun 28, 2016 2:08 pm

A guess or wild speculation if you like ;) , but based on how I perceive BMD think about things, and the specs of the unit.

If you had 625 sources they'd lock to a PAL reference, and if you give the cleanswitch a Tri-Sync 1080i50Hz reference, your HD1080i50 sources would lock to that and so on....

In order to maintain allowing different video modes to pass through like a normal videohub, i.e. 50 & 59.94Hz, it would need to have some logic to use different references for different video modes it finds on it's inputs.

I'd go further to say since the product is so new, this logic is probably fairly simple at this stage, and could well advance to mean HD 50Hz sources would lock to a PAL reference in some future firmware update.

You've got a device, could you test using different types of syncs with different video modes of switch inputs & basically figure it out, then let us know - please???? Sorry to put it on you, but you sound like you've probably got the gear and expertise.

Peter Collis

PostWed Jun 29, 2016 1:51 am

Yes John, testing out all possible genlocking modes is something that will be done.
However, it is general practice for HD equipment to genlock to reference sources that are of the same frame rate as that of the signal being handled. Resolution is not an issue. Everything else in our system references to PAL 50i analogue black reference, though the truck runs 1080i50 normally. Also, all the other genlockable BMD gear we have is capable of accepting PAL 50i analogue black reference, so it would be reasonable to expect the Cleanswitch to do the same.
Testing will have to establish this, and BMD engineering emailed me this morning with a recommended configuration to try out. (Thank you!)
Once this is done, I'll report back, and we should have an easy set of rules as to how to safely use the Cleanswitches as frame synchronisers.
It is very useful having the 12x12 pre-selecting various non-synch inputs to the truck and forwarding the selected ones to the router and switcher, fully synchronised.
The whole routing, monitoring and ATEM stability of our system is improved out of sight, if absolutely everything is genlocked.
This thing is incredibly well-worth pursuing.

JohnBengston

PostWed Jun 29, 2016 8:32 am

Peter Collis wrote:However, it is general practice for HD equipment to genlock to reference sources that are of the same frame rate as that of the signal being handled. Resolution is not an issue. Everything else in our system references to PAL 50i analogue black reference, though the truck runs 1080i50 normally. Also, all the other genlockable BMD gear we have is capable of accepting PAL 50i analogue black reference, so it would be reasonable to expect the Cleanswitch to do the same.

Couldn't agree more, but as I quite often mention; "This is a Black Magic Design product we are talking about, so assuming nothing, and testing the sh1t out of everything is also highly recommended"

Peter Collis wrote:BMD engineering emailed me this morning with a recommended configuration to try out. (Thank you!)

Wow.

Peter Collis wrote:Once this is done, I'll report back, and we should have an easy set of rules as to how to safely use the Cleanswitches as frame synchronisers.

Many thanks Peter, know that although it's work and effort, reports on things like this done by customers are really appreciated by those of us, who haven't seen specific products in the flesh, and are considering buying.

Patrick Zagury

PostSat Mar 25, 2017 4:14 pm

Anything to report on this now?

Return to Live Production