Hyperdeck studio record fail

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

sminnick

Hyperdeck studio record fail

PostMon Dec 17, 2012 2:14 am

Was trying to record a long event via Sd-sdi to pro res using an approved Crucial SSD card. About 33 min into recording the record button began to flash red. The manual says that this means the card is too slow. How can it be too slow when it is "Blackmagic approved"? Has anyone had this happen to them? If this was failing while recording SD footage, I can't imagine it being able to perform for HD footage either.
Thoughts?
Blackmagic...please respond.

podiumbroadcast

Re: Hyperdeck studio record fail

PostMon Dec 17, 2012 4:08 pm

There is more on this forum, but these are very interesting:

Hyperdeck Studio 2nd capture file corrupt
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1397

Is there white paper on (SSDs for) the HyperDeck Recorders?
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1478

sminnick

jcreedon

PostTue Dec 18, 2012 3:00 am

Were you recording to a freshly formatted drive?

The way filesystems allocate "free space" can be tricky and frustrating to say the least, and sometimes deleting everything isn't enough. The only way I've been able to ensure performance is to freshly format every card and drive before I use it for recording. This is something I use not only with SSDs and recorders, but with SD cards and DSLRs, it is the only way to 100% ensure you have completely contiguous free space.

This is partially the reason why you are unable to delete clips on any HyperDeck or the Cinema Camera, because deleting files does not give you useable contiguous space for fast recording. These devices are taking advantage of the fast write speeds afforded by writing continuously to a contiguous block of free space. If the device has to jump around to get to the free space, it takes a huge performance hit as far as write speeds go, and that is where you run into the issue where the red light flashes.
Jacob Creedon

Mathew Brennan

PostTue Dec 18, 2012 5:43 am

Please re read the list of hard drives your hard drive is fit to record at uncompressed 10 bit capture the bottom part of the list is drives suited to recording compressed formats we have been using the ocz agility 240 gb and it has worked really well we usually record at 720p 50hz.
When the record light flashes it means that the hard drive is not fast enough for the format you are recording at. I suspect the drive is being used to compress and record at the same time which is why the hard drive needs to be faster then the hard drives listed for uncompressed 10bit.

sminnick

PostTue Dec 18, 2012 7:03 pm

Newly formatted drive

Crucial m4 512 gig

This should not have failed.

jcreedon

PostTue Dec 18, 2012 7:19 pm

What firmware version is the drive? You may have already done this, but it doesn't hurt to be thorough.

Jacob Creedon

sminnick

PostWed Dec 19, 2012 3:59 pm

crucial M4 firmware 0002

jcreedon

PostWed Dec 19, 2012 7:07 pm

That is a particularly old firmware version. Go to http://www.crucial.com/help/ssd/index.aspx?source=web select m4 2.5inch and follow the instruction to get it updated. I can't guarantee it, but I'm pretty sure this will fix your problem.
Jacob Creedon

sminnick

PostThu Dec 20, 2012 5:58 am

Trying that with one drive. I will run another test. If it works I'll upgrade all the drives we have.

I wish Bkackmagic had a link and install program to solve this.
It seems there is no way other than fooling the system on the desktop or laptop into thinking it will be the main hard drive.

Is there a work around via plugging the SSD drive in via USB that I can use to upgrade the firmware?

Thanks
Steve

Shaun C. Roemich

PostThu Dec 20, 2012 6:02 am

Firmware on drives is outside the milieu of what BMD could be held responsible for...

My OCZ SSD drives were mounted using an external dock connected via USB in order to update their firmware. I would assume every manufacturer has similar concessions as one would not normally update the firmware on an ACTIVE boot drive.
Shaun C. Roemich
Big Dog at
Road Dog Media
Vancouver, BC
www.roaddogmedia.ca

Return to Live Production