ATEM demos and tech info?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author
Kirk S.

ATEM demos and tech info?

PostTue Dec 18, 2012 1:17 am

I'm researching equipment for a huge technical upgrade of our mobile production van. Budget: $80,000 to $100,000 USD. From cameras and tripods to switchers and replay. This is money my client has been holding onto since 2006. It's been decided it's now or never to step up into HD.

It's is a difficult process, since a politically minded committee is involved to "review" ideas. For me, it's been even more difficult to delve into the ATEM product line. One of the committee members has sent me in this direction but I'm beginning to wonder if it is worth it.

When I dealt with EchoLab, I was able to find a wide variety of tech info. If it was a new product, a demo or tech manual could be had. If I had to service an older switcher, tech support was there, again with support materials. If all else failed, I could phone a sale rep on the West Coast who could point me in the right direction.

I like the idea of the ATEM switcher. Damn if I can find any "authorized" vendor in Southern California to provide a demo. Not only a demo but send me tech specs on hooking up tally lights, what brands of character generators are supported, intercom converter for Clear Com systems, etc. I can't even get replies from customers who have an ATEM at their workplace.

There has to be a way to get a demo or any tech manuals that aren't sales brochures. As Ronald Reagan said, "Trust but verify." So far I can't verify any related to the ATEM.

jcreedon

Re: ATEM demos and tech info?

PostTue Dec 18, 2012 2:38 am

I'm sure you already found this, but a list of BMD authorized vendors in Southern CA can be found here: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/resellers?country=United%20States&state=California%20(Southern)&sid=3962&mac=true&linux=true&windows=true&view=brief

Among that list I have dealt with Keycode, only for getting a post-production workflow set up, but my experience was positive nonetheless. According to their website they do offer Mobile production solutions, and they do offer demos for those solutions. I have no idea whether or not they are BMD based solutions, but in your situation it would be worth it to check it out anyways. (http://www.keycodemedia.com/)

I'm not sure if it is kosher to mention competitors on BMD forums, but NewTek TriCaster and BroadcastPix offer switchers in that same range that you are looking at right now.
Jacob Creedon

Kirk S.

Re: ATEM demos and tech info?

PostTue Dec 18, 2012 7:10 pm

Thanks, I have hit the BMD listing for resellers in the L.A. Area. I was hoping this post would get some type of reponse to get a demo or specs of some kind.

I'm trying to move away from NewTek for customer service and technical service issues. The definitely do not want to support the model we have, going from "Lifetime Warranty" to paying $700 to replace a fan. Considering our unit has been sent to NewTek four times in three years, the down time is costly in more ways than one. Add to the "arrogance" of their authorized premium resellers here in L.A., I've pretty much had enough.

That's why I mentioned the original designer of the ATEM, EchoLab. Their customer service was always top notch. You'd think in this tough economy I would have resellers banging down my door to get all or a portion of my rebuild budget.

Thanks for the other switcher brand, it is on the list to look at.

Return to Live Production