Church Live Production Setup

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Alex Chmil

Church Live Production Setup

PostMon May 11, 2015 6:26 pm

Our church is looking to expand its video and screen ministries. We are looking for a way to mix video and screen presentations together to create a better feel. Currently our audio, video, and screen presentations are totally separate and need to be synced and mixed together. Here is a brief midxdown of our setups:

Audio:

Mics--->Snake --> main board--->output to speakers

Video:

Audio output from board--->limiter--->equalizer----ex input of Atem TV Studio

Video from cameras--->Sdi converter----Atem TV studio

Video presentations--->FCP running off 2nd moniter---->thunderbolt--->ultra studio express--hdmi--Atem

Screen:
EasyWorship 2009-->splitter--->1 goes to 2nd moniter--2nd ones goes into switch box--switch box-projector

We would like to have this setup:

Two side screens: regular lyrics
Back wall: stage monitor
Live video: keyed lyrics as a lower third

We want all of the possible with just 1 click operation, and the ability for video operators to disable lyrics if they would like. We don't have anything net this setup but we are trying to invest into it. If you've got any suggestions, we are taking any. No budget as my church assigns me to give them information and a price. They decide if they are willing to put money towards it. We've got really ba projectors, so there's about 15-20k on good projectors. Any help appreciated. Thank you :)

Alex Chmil

Re: Church Live Production Setup

PostWed May 13, 2015 2:36 am

No responses. Bump?

jamesvandyke

PostWed May 13, 2015 7:04 pm

It sounds like your real issue in this setup is going to be syncing the Full Screen Lyrics and Lower Third Lyrics. I'm not aware of a simple solution for doing that.

I think the best question is how many unique video feeds do you need? I couldn't tell if it was 2 or 3.

For the most flexibility consider a VideoHub with a second switcher. You'll also likely need two computers for your different format lyrics.
James VanDyke
Dallas, TX

Thomas Seewald

PostWed May 13, 2015 7:43 pm

He can use a CasparCG Pc with two channels. one for full screen lyrics, one for lower thrid lyrics. Different templates,for the same text. A little bit thinking, a little programming and it will run....
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

William Rushing

PostThu May 14, 2015 2:54 pm

Our church is using the ATEM TVS with ProPresenter (using green screen keying) to run lower thirds. Using Ustream, we broadcast the service live and the in-house projectors show the same feed out of the TVS as the Ustream feed. We are also running the same feed to several TV's across our campus. You can check out the end result on our church website at woodwardavenuebaptist.org. Just visit the sermon archive page.

I know it is not exactly what you are looking for, but I thought I would share what we are doing. If you want specifics on our whole setup, just let me know.

Andy Williams

PostFri May 15, 2015 7:12 am

+1 for propresenter. I believe with the multiscreen module you could accomplish what you are looking to to. Pro also will play content in addition to cg operations. If I read correctly, multiscreen allows up to 3 simultaneous different outputs and I believe you could use a stage display in addition to that also. So in your instance you could have one output using a template for center (or otherwise) justified lyrics and another as a lower third to be keyed. Depending on your needs and resolution, I might go for the DualHead2Go Digital ME Edition because it will allow you either 1080 or 720. It would most likely be just fine to take the lower third output straight in to the TVS, it could possibly take some hot plugging the HDMI cable a few times if you reboot either the ATEM or computer to get the frame rate converter to engage and the signal to show up the first time. I would probably SDI over good RG6 to get the signal everywhere else it needs to go with converters as necessary as SDI will give you the most robust signal quality and distance. This way you only need one computer to play videos/content and cg, at the same time. This idea Is probably not the cheapest, but could possibly be a simple and reliable solution.

FYI, I help manage dozens of installations of pro presenter at our church and we use it for playing videos, lyrics and sermon media and slides, etc.. It has been very reliable, powerful, and easy to use for volunteers.

hope this helps!
589media
Live Video, Communications, Networks, Integration

Richard Courtney

PostFri May 15, 2015 5:00 pm

If you have the time and talent to write code, CasparCG would be a good solution.
You will need a Decklink card such as the QUAD to provide several outputs.

We use one channel for the side screen lyrics, one for center images, one for reverse facing screen for music prompts, and the last channel to actually record the switcher's output for live broadcasts and DVDs.

Each of these channels can have multiple layers. We have flash templates that grab from our database of song lyrics and scriptures and present the output as a layer. One or more internal video players to CasparCG, can playback a video background to be placed below the text.

We feed two of the QUAD's channels to our switcher as inputs. Aux outs from the switcher go to the projectors. This allows live video to be switched to the projectors for IMAG or simply showing an infant during baptism.

This allows flexibility in the future.

Ian Morrish

PostFri May 15, 2015 8:22 pm

Alex Chmil wrote:No responses. Bump?

We do something similar, using a 2 M/E but a 1 will probably work.
Centre screen is on Aux 1, 2 side screens on Aux 2. By default Aux 1 and 2 are set to Prog1 Out (on our 2 ME, Prog1 is set to Prog 2 by default).
Sorry I can't post URL's for some reason onedrive<dot>live<dot>com/redir?resid=62b84429c3a8a991!89483&authkey=!AFkIml40IZ7xDe8&v=3&ithint=photo%2cjpg[/image]
Use a Macro (I use X-Keys and Just Macros but ATEM now has simple macro capability) to assign button so switching Aux to another input (the one with EW or use the built in media player - what we use for logo and giving slide).

With 2 ME we can also feed live stream to Internet and other campuses by isolating 1ME to Camera 1 for screens and then keep mixing on 2ME for Internet feed using Prog 2 output.

Easy Worship (we switched to Open LP) is added via DSK only on the 1M/E feed.

From this video www<dot>youtube<dot>com/watch?t=1300&v=HzU6oZHixaM was recorded from live feed out of ATEM , you can see slide on center screen (someone plugged the projectors in the wrong way round), Camera 1 on outside screen (can't see the left screen from this shot) and Internet stream (what you are watching) is camera 4
Regards,
Ian Morrish
Video Integrated Scripting Environment
(Windows PowerShell with ATEM driver + more)
https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com

Return to Live Production