Mac Mini and ATEM 1 1080i Sync Issues

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Casey Hamilton

Mac Mini and ATEM 1 1080i Sync Issues

PostThu Dec 20, 2012 7:08 pm

Hello All,

We have been trying to find a stable platform for playing our video sermons at church and after having stuttering issues with playing videos through PCs in a extended desktop setup decided to try Mac Minis using the ATEM 1 multi display as the main monitor for the mini.

Problem is when the ATEM 1 is set to 1080i59 i can see the mini booting up just fine on the multi display, but as soon as the system boots up I loose the image.

When I switch the ATEM 1 to 720p59 the mini works fine. Also, I can see the option to select 1080i in the display settings of the mini. I have tried different cables and combos to try and get it to kick in when switching back and forth from 720 to 1080 but haven't had any luck. Any thoughts from y'all?

Mac Mini using HDMI out.
i5 2.5ghz
500g hdd
intel HD 4000 graphics
4g DDR3 Ram

Gilbert Lopez

Blackmagic Design

Re: Mac Mini and ATEM 1 1080i Sync Issues

PostThu Dec 20, 2012 10:26 pm

Hello

Have you been able to test any other HDMI signals into the switcher?

Be sure that you're running the latest version of the ATEM software and firmware. We were previously experiencing issues with HDMI signals from computers at refresh rates of 60hz not working into the switcher. ATEM 3.4 included a solution for this problem.

Let us know if this information helps, and let us know if you are able to test any other HDMI signals.
Gilbert Lopez
Support Representative
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Casey Hamilton

PostFri Dec 21, 2012 6:36 pm

Gilbert Lopez wrote:Hello

Have you been able to test any other HDMI signals into the switcher?

Be sure that you're running the latest version of the ATEM software and firmware. We were previously experiencing issues with HDMI signals from computers at refresh rates of 60hz not working into the switcher. ATEM 3.4 included a solution for this problem.

Let us know if this information helps, and let us know if you are able to test any other HDMI signals.

Sorry Gilbert, I should have stated that we are indeed using 3.4. I know our camera is working fine at these settings. The other PC that is interfaced to the ATEM is running in extended desktop mode. I will set it up this way (using multi as the main monitor for the PC) and see if I have the same issue.

Thanks, Casey

Tom_Bassford

PostFri Dec 21, 2012 8:34 pm

You may find it helpful to use an EDID emulator between computers and the ATEM. Genfen HDMI Detective is one product which could help. The DVI Parrot is the best device but it is quite pricey and probably overkill for use with the ATEM.
http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

Casey Hamilton

PostSat Dec 22, 2012 12:13 am

Tom_Bassford wrote:You may find it helpful to use an EDID emulator between computers and the ATEM. Genfen HDMI Detective is one product which could help. The DVI Parrot is the best device but it is quite pricey and probably overkill for use with the ATEM.

Thanks for the suggestion Tom! I will keep that in mind if I cannot knock this out.

Casey

noiseart

PostTue Jan 29, 2013 7:48 pm

This is actually a software problem on most Mac OS 8 systems. The Display Preferences panel doesn't work very well. There is a third party solution - SwitchResX (http://www.madrau.com/). It is shareware, so you can try it out and then buy it if you like it.

SwitchResX is a bit complicated (as it does everything under the sun related to monitor hacking and resolutions), but the Black Magic ATEM will come up in the SwitchResX panel as "BMD HDMI". You click on that and you will see a list of possible resolutions. Then you can click on "1080i60 (NTSC)". You have to be fast, as the selection will timeout and revert to 720p (or whatever you were set on previously). So make sure you are ready to switch your ATEM resolution quickly.

bests, Peter

Return to Live Production