Photoshop 2015 with ATEM Extention

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Petra Verbruggen

Photoshop 2015 with ATEM Extention

PostThu Jun 18, 2015 2:36 pm

Hi, just wanted to know if the ATEM Extention still works in the just release Photoshop Creative Cloud 2015.
Thanks,
Petra

John Meloy

Re: Photoshop 2015 with ATEM Extention

PostThu Jun 18, 2015 10:46 pm

Just tried it and it crashes. Thanks Adobe.

Mike Squires

PostFri Jun 19, 2015 9:13 pm

That's a BMD problem, as the plug-ins aren't 100% compatible with CC 2015. Waiting on BMD to fix it. Not to mention, even with CC2014, there were memory leaks when capturing in Premiere Pro.

Scott Ryan

PostFri Jul 03, 2015 8:25 pm

Really need support for Photoshop 2015.

Scott Smith

PostWed Jul 08, 2015 8:55 pm

I absolutely LOVE this plugin, and hope you continue to develop and maintain it in perpetuity. So yeah. Need that 2015 version as soon as reasonably plausible.
Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.

Glen Meyburgh

PostThu Jul 09, 2015 12:07 pm

Really need this to work URGENTLY!
Is there an E.T.A. for a fix?
Glen Meyburgh
Imàgio Productions
South Africa

Ian Tindale

PostMon Jul 13, 2015 6:38 am

If it could also be made to work with Affinity Photo, too, that'd be excellent.

Raphaël Jacquot

PostWed Jul 15, 2015 1:59 pm

how about bmd publishes a python plugin for gimp ?

Ian Tindale

PostThu Jul 16, 2015 3:27 pm

I'd be quite interested in knowing the step-by-step process that this plugin actually goes through, in case I could manually perform the same sequence and make an “action” or some such similar set of prearranged steps. At the moment I don't see how an image can make its way to a separate destination on the network without having to be saved as a file, that seems impossible.

Liam Kennedy

PostThu Jul 16, 2015 5:31 pm

If you are not a programmer who understands what is going on behind the scenes I could imagine evrerything seems "impossible". Doesn't mean it is. I regularly write programs that deal with in-memory representations of images that are never written out to the file system.

What good would having access to a temporary file be to you in any case? You can always create an action in photoshop that saves the current image out to any file you want.

The real "magic" here is how the plugin uses the Blackmagic API / SDK to transfer the photoshop image (which is currently in RAM in any case) and then puts that in to the media pool inside the ATEM across the network. There is no "action" steps you could perform that would do that - because that part is entirely custom to Blackmagic and their API.

Now... I do see some kind of workaround possible with the Just Macros tool. Someone could create a macro that monitors a folder on your computer for any new files. As soon as it finds a new file it could automatically upload that to the media pool. Maybe different folders for each media pool slot.

It's not ideal but it may still help speed the workflow until the plugin is updated.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

Scott Smith

PostFri Jul 17, 2015 3:56 pm

Well, if we are discussing the technical aspects, I am curious what the file format is when transferred through the plugin. Is is sending the original PSD? Or a BMP? JPG? PNG? TGA? TIF? Anyone know? I assume it has to be a TIF or TGA, as it sends an alpha channel. I don't think PSD's work in the ATEM. I expect it is a TGA, but does anyone actually know?
Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.

Jonas Bengtson

PostThu Jul 23, 2015 5:08 pm

Raphaël Jacquot wrote:how about bmd publishes a python plugin for gimp ?

Is this supposed to be a joke because i'm still laughing.

Jonas Bengtson

PostThu Jul 23, 2015 5:13 pm

Scott Smith wrote:Well, if we are discussing the technical aspects, I am curious what the file format is when transferred through the plugin. Is is sending the original PSD? Or a BMP? JPG? PNG? TGA? TIF? Anyone know? I assume it has to be a TIF or TGA, as it sends an alpha channel. I don't think PSD's work in the ATEM. I expect it is a TGA, but does anyone actually know?

I checked this for you because i was curious too, the developer SDK lists the possible formats as:

bmdSwitcherPixelFormat8BitARGB
bmdSwitcherPixelFormat8BitXRGB
bmdSwitcherPixelFormat8BitYUV
bmdSwitcherPixelFormat10BitYUVA

So i guess the ATEM software and the Photoshop plugin justs converts to one of these formats, hence why the media pool is so big but only fits a small amount of images.

Jonas Bengtson

PostThu Jul 23, 2015 5:15 pm

Ian Tindale wrote:I'd be quite interested in knowing the step-by-step process that this plugin actually goes through, in case I could manually perform the same sequence and make an “action” or some such similar set of prearranged steps. At the moment I don't see how an image can make its way to a separate destination on the network without having to be saved as a file, that seems impossible.

It's by no means impossible and skipping disk is actually a step Less in the process of programming against the SDK, assuming you have the frame in memory.

If you mean as in you want to do this using pre-existing tools that's not the blackmagic plugin without saving, no, that will not work as you say.

Ian Tindale

PostThu Jul 23, 2015 10:04 pm

Well, I’ve switched away from Illustrator/Photoshop to Affinity Designer/Photo, and the newly released Affinity Photo has a plugin system that claims to be PS compatible in many cases. I can’t get it to see the BMD plugin, which is probably only to be expected, but I’m curious as to whether this could ever work? Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo can export PNG with alpha, and that’s what I’m moving toward now, but manually exporting and then putting in the media pool.

David_Anderson

PostWed Jul 29, 2015 4:07 pm

Folks,

When can we expect a fix for this? I have a MAC and the extension disappeared and I copied the old version into the proper folder and it crashes every time!

Thanks,

David
David Anderson
Leading Edge Multimedia
https://leadingedgemultimedia.com
(888) 336-LEMM

Raphaël Jacquot

PostFri Jul 31, 2015 9:19 am

Jonas Bengtson wrote:
Raphaël Jacquot wrote:how about bmd publishes a python plugin for gimp ?

Is this supposed to be a joke because i'm still laughing.

technically, no ;-)

Scott Smith

PostMon Aug 31, 2015 4:50 pm

Still no response on this? Is it working now? Or still a dead plugin?
Scott R Smith

David Hutchinson

PostTue Sep 01, 2015 7:29 pm

It has always worked for me through all the upgrades.... I'm Just lucky I guess?

David

Rick Goodman

PostSun Nov 15, 2015 4:04 am

Just installed Photoshop CC 2015 and updated my Production 4K 2 M/E to version 6.6 and did it in that order. When I go to Photoshop and want to export a graphic I see no plug-in listed in the Export dropdown menu. Any ideas on what I have done wrong?

Matt Culbertson

PostTue Dec 15, 2015 5:23 pm

It didn't work for me with the 6.5 update but after we did the 6.6 update the plugin was there and it has worked flawlessly so far. Using an IMac and the latest version of Photoshop.
Matt

Return to Live Production