Headsets for ATEM Studio/Camera Converters?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Benjamin Doyle

Headsets for ATEM Studio/Camera Converters?

PostTue Aug 28, 2012 7:35 pm

Hi all,
Has anyone found a good quality headset they use for live production show com with the ATEM Studio Converter and/or Camera Converters?

Did Blackmagic have a specific type of headset in mind when designing this system?

Is there a good quality/reliable option for tying ClearCom and standard show com into the ATEM com?

We've been using standard computer style headsets and on quiet/studio sets they work fine. However in noisy environments the quality is quite poor as the microphones tend to pick up too much ambient noise and overmodulate the com channel.

Any recommendations welcome.

lotech

Re: Headsets for ATEM Studio/Camera Converters?

PostTue Aug 28, 2012 8:34 pm

We were really excited about the camera converters when they were announced but BM seem to have forgotten the world of comms existed before they started selling them.

I found this thread on creative cow which explains how it's possible - suffice to say it involves more boxes and money - http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/124/881026

I'm going to hold off until V2 by which point BM will hopefully have put some thought into the need to link to other comms systems.

Jeff Amato

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 1:05 pm

I swear by my steelseries siberia v2 headset, although I have never tested them with the camera converters, I do mix down our live stream audio in the same room as our main system using them and they provide enough isolation and are really comfortable to wear for long periods of time. The microphone is retractable and flexable which is nice when you dont want it hanging around your face.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826249036&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-NA-_-NA
travel light. live light. spread the light. be the light.

Benjamin Doyle

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 3:06 pm

Thanks Jeff!

Benjamin Doyle

PostTue Sep 25, 2012 2:15 am

After trying several headsets, we've started using these:
Corsair Vengeance 1300 Analog Gaming Headset

Used a set of 6 in production last weekend and they worked really well even in an extremely noisy environment. 32 Ohm speaker impedance so they can get good sound out of the camera converters. The mic noise cancellation isn't outstanding but it's adequate.

Lee_AVP

PostSun Dec 08, 2013 2:35 pm

Hi Everyone,

This question was killing us on concert events and sporting events. I tried some of the suggestions in this and other threads; those Corsair's weren't bad, but still didn't give us the isolation we needed on really loud events - like indoor stock car racing.

The solution for us:

www.ruggedradios.com

Select one of their headsets, then order it with an electret mic and the "Sound card cable."

Ahh, finally, we can hear.
E. Lee Dickinson | President
Advanced Visual Production | Sound.Lighting.Video.Design
www.avprva.com

Scott Ryan

PostMon Dec 09, 2013 7:31 am

Thanks for the info Lee. Can you link directly to what you are talking about? Thanks!

Return to Live Production