Hyperdeck Studio progress

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

timgregory

Hyperdeck Studio progress

PostWed Aug 22, 2012 8:12 am

Hi,

I am using two Hyperdeck Studios in my setup. One for recording and one for playback.
It would really help for playback if they could display file names on its screen.

At the moment we are putting titles in the first frame of the video and our producer insists on using Comic Sans which is slightly offensive...

Other features that would really help for playback are:
Some options for the clock so that it can show time left on a single clip.
Option for 'play then stop' rather than automatically going on to the next video file.

It would be nice to know what's in the development pipeline for these units for example: is there any plans for the Cat5 port.
I am not expecting release dates or anything like that.

I just want to say the Hyperdecks have been great and significantly improved playback reliability and ease of use for us.
We are using these alongside the 1ME Switcher and Panel.

Thanks,

Tim

Tom_Bassford

Re: Hyperdeck Studio progress

PostWed Aug 22, 2012 8:28 am

+10

Yes - I would like to see these things too.

Additionally I'd enjoy the following functions

Loop playback of clips
Playlist playback of clips
Timecode whilst recording to be consistent with playback timecode (to enable better use with slomo controllers)
Control from ATEM panel (VDCP)
Lower bit rate / extended record times - often we are only recording for review purposes, we could cope quite happily with a much lower bit rate, this would allow us to fit much longer shows onto small / affordable SSDs

Most importantly I would like to see exFAT filesystem support - HFS+ is horrible if you don't own a mac and it really ruines the workflow. It is also important to be able to format media in the hyperdeck without needing a computer, we have lost a couple of live records where someone forgot to format the drive before putting it back in the hyperdeck.

cheers
Tom
http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

timgregory

PostWed Aug 22, 2012 9:24 am

Additionally I'd enjoy the following functions

Loop playback of clips

Tom,

Hitting the play button twice plays the clip in a loop. Not sure if this is what you had in mind?

Tim

Tom_Bassford

PostWed Aug 22, 2012 9:31 am

When did it start doing that? Maybe my firmware needs updating.

Ideally i'd like to able to set a loop flag on a clip by clip basis. I'd like to be able to playlist say 4 VT segments which run consecutively and then go into segment 5 which a looped logo animation. This would be a really useful feature for live events.

timgregory

PostWed Aug 22, 2012 9:43 am

Tom_Bassford wrote:When did it start doing that? Maybe my firmware needs updating.

I am not sure. Definitely before the latest release. I can't remember if I discovered by accident or read it in some release notes / manual.

I would also love to be able to use a compressed format for playing back SD PAL when encoding files from a PC.
Pro-Res helps for recording but not playback. If there was a work around for this then that would be great.
I have tried ffmpeg to no success.

Tim

Tom_Bassford

PostWed Aug 22, 2012 11:08 am

oh yeah i was supposed to be looking at that for you! I will try to remember to have a got on it over the weekend (doing Leeds festival, so excuses to sit on the bus rather than be out in the mud are more than welcome!)

JBeahn

PostWed Aug 22, 2012 2:45 pm

Hyperdeck Studio has great potential, but I've had one for a year now and it seems like after some great codec releases, development has stopped. BMD support doesn't know anything about when new software will be released. When will we get features like FTP, the ability to delete clips without having to pull the SSD and the ability to turn off the play next feature (so it plays one clip and stops)?

Thanks, Jim

sdepace

PostWed Aug 22, 2012 2:56 pm

The ability to mark an in and out point on a clip for looped playback would be huge. Also I've noticed a small pause at the loop point during playback that is bothersome.

Hopefully they will continue to develop this product!

timgregory

PostFri Sep 07, 2012 12:31 pm

Tom_Bassford wrote:Most importantly I would like to see exFAT filesystem support - HFS+ is horrible if you don't own a mac and it really ruines the workflow

Has anyone else noticed that BMD are advertising on their homepage that exFAT support is comming to the Hyperdeck in September?

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/?heroNum=8

That's great news as I was about to fork out on some more Macdrive licences.

Tim

JBeahn

PostFri Sep 07, 2012 10:22 pm

Looking forward to the new Hyperdeck software release and exFAT support. I hope we'll be able to manage files through the ethernet port via ftp or other protocol.

Jim

Return to Live Production