Nyrius ARIES Pro Digital Wireless with ATEM TVs

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

chris ozman

Re: Nyrius ARIES Pro Digital Wireless with ATEM TVs

PostWed Apr 03, 2013 12:20 pm

You will need at least 1A for one end and 2A for the other, so no, a 500ah will not work. Just got my Nyrius pro kit today so am still testing, am awaiting 2X 5v 20000mah phone batteries from Hong Kong which have 1A and 2.1A USB ports so will let you know how I go.

plegilink wrote:
tmarone wrote:Hi Rob,

As far as your setup goes, I think the only thing to worry about is going to be how to power the transmitter. It needs 5v DC @ 1 amp. It has a mini USB connector on the side. You need to be careful about how you power it!!! We use the Anton Bauer Elpiz battery on the bottom of our handheld cameras. It puts out 7.2v. We use the Paralinx Arrow p-tap converter to get 5v for the transmitter.

Do not give it over 5 volts!!!!

Here is a link to a P-tap adapter that might work for you:

http://www.viewfactor.net/products/power/ptap-usb.html

or the one specifically for the Arrow:

http://www.hotrodcameras.com/paralinx-p ... cable.html

Hope everything works out for you!

Tony

Would something like this also work to power the transmitter, as it only used 500mA?

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/car-ac-adaptors/ac-u50a

Rob Hargreaves

PostFri Apr 05, 2013 7:13 pm

I have purchased and successfully tested the Sony ACU50A.CEK AC to USB 5V power Adaptor (0.5A) with the transmitter.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000FNUPRK/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

pal72

PostSat Apr 06, 2013 5:35 am

Were can i buy this, and get it shipped to norway?

CYAQUE

PostSun Apr 07, 2013 9:13 am

I´ve just received my Aries and it´s works ok, now I´m looking for a battery, and I´ve find this http://www.amazon.es/Sony-CP-ELS-Cargador-port%C3%A1til-smartphones/dp/tech-data/B006D1DZAW/ref=de_a_smtd
But I don´t know how many time the Tx will work with 2000 mAh
Anyone knows how consume the Tx per hour?

chris ozman

PostSun Apr 07, 2013 9:43 am

CYAQUE wrote:I´ve just received my Aries and it´s works ok, now I´m looking for a battery, and I´ve find this http://www.amazon.es/Sony-CP-ELS-Cargador-port%C3%A1til-smartphones/dp/tech-data/B006D1DZAW/ref=de_a_smtd
But I don´t know how many time the Tx will work with 2000 mAh
Anyone knows how consume the Tx per hour?

I would think that one would give you about 2 hours. If you don't want to worry about power I suggest you get something with a much higher capacity, i am currently awaiting 2 of these which importantly have one port capable of 2.1A. I understand the transmitter end needs over 1Amp to work

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ws/eBayISAPI ... OU:AU:3160

kylaloo

PostSat Apr 13, 2013 5:24 pm

I'm looking for a german Nyrius Aries Pro dealer.
Is there someone out there? And - if not - is it possible to ship this
tiny solution via flying dragon, wooden galley, bicycle or barefoot to me?

Rob Beck

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 10:36 am

I ordered mine from amazon. Shipped to UK from Canada very fast service and cheap postage.

pal72

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 10:59 am

Avidrob wrote:I ordered mine from amazon. Shipped to UK from Canada very fast service and cheap postage.

i only get this message"We're sorry. This item can't be shipped to your selected destination. You may either change the shipping address or delete the item from your order by changing its quantity to 0 and clicking the update button below"

When i use my address to Norway....

Can somebody helpe me.....?

Shipped to norway.

Dan Kanes

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 7:00 pm

Www.paralinx.net

We ship worldwide.

Our device uses a professional chipset with higher image quality.
Longer range
Better heat tolerances.
Arrow+ can send to up to 4 receivers simultaneously
More antennas
Awesome software optimizations
D tap power cables
Shield protective mounting bracket
And more.

pal72

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 8:13 pm

Dan Kanes wrote:http://Www.paralinx.net

We ship worldwide.

Our device uses a professional chipset with higher image quality.
Longer range
Better heat tolerances.
Arrow+ can send to up to 4 receivers simultaneously
More antennas
Awesome software optimizations
D tap power cables
Shield protective mounting bracket
And more.

If you read the 2. post in this forum, you would know why i want to buy the Nyrius ARIES over the paralinx.
THE PRICE is totally wrong on the paralinx... even on sale for 895,-

Dan Kanes

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 10:21 pm

Obviously you didn't read what I wrote under the product description.

Feel free to contact for our refurb 1:1 special for $599.

jrt007

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 2:31 pm

Hi I'm currently trying to source the Nyrius unit in the UK.

Does anyone know of a company with stock?

I can find it on Amazon but they want £50 to send it here...

I can use either the Prime or Pro. They seem identical apart from the different receiver design.

Thanks in advance!

James

bimdas

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 5:34 am

Sold out on Amazon which seems to be the only place to get them. It's a shame that the Arrow isn't priced more competively, they might then take a piece of the massive home av market.

Hint: Some folk will pay an extra hundred dollars for a hdmi cable claimed to increase picture quality. Massive, massive market out there and Nyrius seems to now have their finger in both pies.

jrt007

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 10:55 am

Looking at an alternative option which apparently uses the same chipset. I will test performance and let you all know if its a usable alternative. It doesn't have any $1000 pixy dust though, so if you want that, you're out of luck

Scott Ryan

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 7:02 pm

I've had some time with both the Nyrius Aries Pro and the Paralinx Arrow. The Nyrius advertises 160 ft and the Paralinx Arrow 300 ft line of sight. These advertised specs hold very true. The Paralinx can go much further. Still testing it out, but after one quick test it was obvious the Paralinx had more range.

mrmaverick

PostSat Apr 20, 2013 1:26 am

I've seen some references in this thread about adding extra or external antennas, could someone elaborate or post a pic.

Thanks

garybruckheimer

PostSat Apr 20, 2013 10:37 pm

hi guys,

sorry for the delay. we modify some of our HDMI devices from CWW, add some legal 5.4-5.7ghz booster by following the DFS standard. the 60ghz version was too heavy for our UAV. We create a new alu-case with lemo power-connector, power converter from allowing power batteries input 5-40voltage, build some test antennas by removing the one from the amimon boards, that was really not an easy part.

range is now 200 - 250 meters, 600-800 feets, depends on LOS reflections, it would be possible to boost the signal up to 1.000mw, but 200mw is enough for our scenarios and most of other countries only allows 200mw output power (in 5ghz). more then 200mw also requires to much power on the sender-side.

pictures of our first test session:

prototype with canon double EP-power, new aluminium case, external antenna connector on the receiver:
http://rebotnix.com/temp/DSC00015.jpg
http://rebotnix.com/temp/DSC00018.jpg

maybe its an good idea to add v-mount holder, the size of the alu case is big enough.

antenna array itself:
http://rebotnix.com/temp/DSC00010.jpg
http://rebotnix.com/temp/DSC00017.jpg
http://rebotnix.com/temp/DSC00003.jpg
http://rebotnix.com/temp/DSC00011.jpg

we strip down the sender and implement it direct into our new UAV, it has 50gram weight now. we sending HDMI from our sony fs100 connected to the HDMI sender with some 8dbi antennas.

http://rebotnix.com/temp/rebotnixpaone.jpg

we cant wait to have the 4k BMC in the AIR, shipping date of the 4k BMC is hopefully in june :)

let me know if you have some questions....

gary
http://rebotnix.com

Sander Vreuls

PostFri May 03, 2013 12:25 pm

Looking good! Are you planning on developing this system commercially?

Jonas Bengtson

PostFri May 03, 2013 2:05 pm

And in 2 - 3 weeks and 10 more posts the Paralinx guy will come and post the same thing with new words: SUPPORT AMERICA; BETTER RANGE; "PRO" without even reading the fantastic progress you have made in this thread.

evilb66

PostSat May 18, 2013 8:24 am

amazon is now saying more stock on may 27.
they are taking pre orders.
the first part of my real name is Mr B. if that's not enough for bmd, please cancel my registration to this site. then i will re-register with a new email and fake name anyway.

bimdas

PostWed May 29, 2013 9:40 am

I just bought one from Amazon, looks like they raised the price by $20 probably due to demand. Still loving the price. This will do me just fine for my wireless monitor needs.

pal72

PostWed May 29, 2013 6:47 pm

Want to buy a Aries Pro, but lives in Norway, and Amazon don't send to my region. What to do???

evilb66

PostWed May 29, 2013 8:34 pm

I joined shipito.com
then amazon ship it to them. They ship it to you. And the postage is much cheaper.
For a one off it would cost about 10usd in fees.
the first part of my real name is Mr B. if that's not enough for bmd, please cancel my registration to this site. then i will re-register with a new email and fake name anyway.

bimdas

PostThu May 30, 2013 7:17 am

Yep I live out in Australia and used shipito as well. Instead of paying the outrageous shipping fee from Amazon, it will only cost me about $35 to get it Fedex here from shipito.

Update: FedEx priority was $52. There were cheaper options but this was the fastest and most reliable and less then half the price of Amazon's shipping price of around $130.

Viktor Laga

PostWed Jul 17, 2013 2:12 pm

chris ozman wrote:You will need at least 1A for one end and 2A for the other, so no, a 500ah will not work. Just got my Nyrius pro kit today so am still testing, am awaiting 2X 5v 20000mah phone batteries from Hong Kong which have 1A and 2.1A USB ports so will let you know how I go.

Any update on the mentioned parts you have ordered?

I have tried to use the iPad Power Adapter (10W = 5V * 2A) without success. Is it important that the USB cable only has the power lines connected?

LagaV

Viktor Laga

PostWed Jul 17, 2013 2:14 pm

chris ozman wrote:You will need at least 1A for one end and 2A for the other, so no, a 500ah will not work. Just got my Nyrius pro kit today so am still testing, am awaiting 2X 5v 20000mah phone batteries from Hong Kong which have 1A and 2.1A USB ports so will let you know how I go.

Any update on the mentioned parts you have ordered?

I have tried to use the iPad Power Adapter (10W = 5V * 2A) without success. Is it important that the USB cable only has the power lines connected?

LagaV

nicpal

PostThu Jul 18, 2013 8:46 am

Does this product work with the TVS and do you need to have power on the transmitter side?
Television Studio, Macbook Pro, Mac Mini, Canon XA20

Rob Hargreaves

PostThu Jul 18, 2013 3:11 pm

nicpal wrote:Does this product work with the TVS and do you need to have power on the transmitter side?

Yes this product works with TVS and you need to power the transmitter through USB either:

1. Plugged into a laptop USB port
2. Plugged in a high capacity battery with USB out
3. plugged into a 1A 5W USB adapter plug

I've had a few dropout on live events so I always bring a wired backup, not been 100% reliable, but that may depend on the location, hard to know for sure.

evilb66

PostTue Jul 23, 2013 4:33 am

I just bought some small 2000mAh batteries from ebay for about $10 each.
I deliberately got the smalles ones I could to not upset the balance on my steadicam merlin.
anyway, a quick test yesterday say me get just over 2 hours, powering the transmitter.
so a 10000mAh battery would last all day.

garybruckheimer

PostThu Jul 25, 2013 9:36 am

Hi all,

i got so many questions about our HD uncompressed wireless modules as well lots of request in our long -range wireless transmission directly from this forum that i thought i give you some more infos what we have developed since the last 4 month. We finshed our long-range UAV (helicopter) wireless solution. In europe there is a limit to send not more with 25mw from UAV´s. So, every uncompressed or other wireless solutions that we found are using more then 25mw transmissing power.

The only way to developer a full HD long range wireless system was to develope and new H.264 solutions directly communicates with the signal-strengh where the encoder is able to have an ultra-fast ABR-rate control. A good choice seems to use an ABR between 15-75mbit. For your info, sky (a payment tv provider here in EU) uses 8mbit in blockbuster and 15-25 VBR mbit in sports. The another problem was to find an FPGA that is able to get a latency <20ms to mux the HDMI as well the h2.64 encoding, that was the hardest part by the way. Temperature on the board was another problem, we hate fan´s, fixed.

For modulation we used a OFDM modulation in the free 5ghz band cause this seems a worldwide free band. We also dont have to use wifi or long time tcp handshakes over IP. Boottime is in cold-start is right now 20seconds, in warm (when receiver is on) 3 seconds. We do not have signal loss, we are able to reduce the bitrate on the fly, so that you nearly never get a complete signal loss as you get with uncompressed modules when you leave the maximum range and you where you have to come back x meters to get a new reconnect like to get from a uncompressed wireless receiver. You cant tell a pilot that he has to come back cause you currently have a video signal loss.

Here is a first video where you can see that the device working. About us: We are a small company in german and currently this device is all hand-made with our CNC´s machines and PCB oven.

The 300 meter range test on UAV with our copter partner coptersale.de:

Indoor in a hall with lots of steel, a big problem for other wireless solution.

I would like to get some feedback from you and i will also update in some minutes about the uncompressed results that i have made in the last few weeks.

Kind Regards
Gary

garybruckheimer

PostThu Jul 25, 2013 9:54 am

Hi,

cause i was so impressed from the output quality of my BMC 2.5k filmcamera (the first filmcamera that i bought) that i started to develope an uncompressed wireless transmission module with SDI and 16dbm output tranmission power, DFS . I showed this modules my friends who are all indie-filmakers and know they press me to develope transmission devices for their cameras.

I will make in the next 12 weeks some modules for these friends, and i would like to ask you guys what is needed for an good wireless transmission set in the broadcast or filmworld.

This is what i collected from my friends:
1) range about 50-150 meters of uncompressed wireless
2) HDMI on the sender, SDI or HDMI on the receiver
3) 1ms latency
4) lemo connector or alternate fischer power connector
5) VMount power plate and power converter between 7 - 24 Volt input range
6) Optional camera rec/on control over the wireless transmission module
7) made in the EU :)
8) Solid lightweight case, plastic or aluminum
9) support for BMC 2.5k and the new 4k from BMC
10) price under 1.500 euros for SDI, under 800 euros for HDMI
11) Multicast, 1 sender , 2 receiver or more
12) free shipping
13) answering emails when there is a problem
14) free hardcase like pelicase for transport

What you think?

If someone would like to get an device, please let me know, send me an PM or call me (telephone number on our homepage/contact form). This will make the components and PCB manufactoring, shipping a lot cheaper.

I think i can show a first prototype by middle of august 2013 with the BMC 2.5 and i know that i friend has ordered the BMC 4k as well and he has some other cameras that i can test.

Have a nice day.

Gary

garybruckheimer

Re: Nyrius ARIES Pro Digital Wireless

PostThu Jul 25, 2013 10:34 am

the differents is case size as well range size. both are not able to multicast, so you only can use 1 receiver + 1 sender simultaneously.

the:
http://nyrius.com/products/display.php?id=124
has about 7-10 meter range

the:
http://nyrius.com/products/display.php?id=122&i=4

has a range about 20-25 meters (in my test) and with LOS - line of sight.

there is also a very big misunderstanding about the 1ms latency, you never will get this.

why?

hdmi as well SDI muxing and demuxplexing requires time and processing power. in our test with different cameras in combination with HD monitors shows that SDI as well HDMI demuxing produces latency, on top of the processing for the signal tranmission.

2-3 frames latency is pretty normal and a good follow focus puller can handle it, as far i have seen.

gary

Scott Ryan

PostThu Jul 25, 2013 8:06 pm

garybruckheimer: what's the pricing for that?

garybruckheimer

PostSat Jul 27, 2013 2:27 pm

what i will figure next couple of days if we really need the encryption crap between the devices.

it seems that the unit has more power free when i dont need the encryption. another plus without encryption is that its much easier to develope a multicast streaming interface.

i cant say anthing about pricing yet, i have first to collect and tested every components. i have a lot of maschines here , which is good so that i can change the whole item very quick.

i would like to use this forum-thread to ask what is important for you, the filmmarkers when you use wireless video, specially the BMC users cause i´m a fresh born BMC fan too :)

i shoot yesterday some outdoor- test shots and i had a problem to see the monitor screen cause i was not able to rotate or move the internal BMC monitor when i start the recoding. i think a small 5inch wireless monitor without cable would be nice for this kind of shoots. specially when you try to follow your cat.

i will start with 100 units cause its seems a good choice between quantiy and quality and pricing. i will produce the boards in PCB factory and i will make the case in high ABS plastic or aluminum. there are some bucks for the HDMI license as well some for getting CE and ROHS sign, but not that much and not complicated.

the highest goal is to increase the wireless range. i dont know which range is most usefull, do you really need more then 150 meters for wireless video? the higher the range the higher is the price for buying a good and powerfull modulator.

some friends also told me that a follow focus inside the signal of the wireless video would be nice, so that they have a follow focus near the monitor in one device.

i got for testing a motor from my friends from heden, wow...this is a really nice motor in a highend manufacted case. ..i will make some test it it is possible to communicate with the encoder-control inside the monitor.

you can follow the next step live here or soon when i have installed a blog.

regards
gary

Jerry SuckHeimer

PostSat Jul 27, 2013 4:53 pm

There is also of course FCC certification and CE certification required for use of the RF spectrum...

Probably easier to buy a device like this, that already has Ultra Low Latency, HDMI and HD-SDI, antennas included, and with a Warranty from a Known company - BON electronics in Korea - which is likely what this product is based on. Probably this dude is just rehousing a consumer electronics device or maybe an unknown product using the Cavium encoder chipset. Take a look - here's a Bon Electronics model on ebay sitting at $500 - I think retail on these is around $4000-5000

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300938904894?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300938904894?ss ... 1555.l2649

Bon Wireless HD transmitter

garybruckheimer

PostSun Jul 28, 2013 8:32 pm

this device is based one a h.264 baseline profile encoder with, with very low transmission output-power, no DFS. it has no uncompressed or lossless codec inside. i do not see any CE of FCC signs in the pictures.

anyway, that is not what i want to develop :)

it is right that i will note make the FPGA or DSP by myself, we will license and buy a lot of CHIPS and include them in our solution.

right now, we are testing texas instruments (even the new beta h.265 HEVC reference)., silicon image and the new one from NTT video solutions. we are very talent video codec developers, with references in our software company from very known broadcast companies around the globe. these companies trust our video software products since 2004. As a CTO of this video software company, called Onlinelib / web: http://onlinelib.de, i hope that people will like the new hardware products that we at rebotnix create for professional clients. we are able to react on customers needs much faster then every major company that license only reference hardware boards where they simply put they logo on and where they dont have access to the firmware or other components.

we also have the know how to program every ARM cortex CPU, very x86 in 32 and 64bit architectur CPU as well every DSP and FPGA from every manufacture on nearly every OS like lnx, osx or windows.

the reason why i want to support also the BM products is that i tested the h.264 recorder as well the ATEM studio to see how the internal h2.64 codec is performing. the h.264 devices from BM are working with some little tweaks in bitrates >30Mbit/sec., amazing! latency is too high for live point2point transmssion, but we can put these h2.64 BM devices from our uncompressed pipelines to compressed pipes to get Apple HLS Streaming, RTMP streaming as well for multicasting over UDP or to many clients in a production set. assuming if the clients want to have this features. on the other side i have some nice friends which are using the BMC where they need an nice integratable wireless solution.

we are new in the hardware market, right. that´s why i´m asking and looking for users and contacts in this forum thread to understand the needs that makes sense to create new products with great features.

update from the developing side:
what we have done today is to make some small 21dbi antennas in 16x16cm size to see if we can break the 200 meter range. cable has to be very very short to not loose signal strength, that why we make some plates for mounting the receiver. we are ready for outdoor testing now.

here is a snapshot from the receiver demo unit that we testing right now:

this solution will rock when it will come out and we try everything to make it under $4000 :)

have a nice evening.
gary

Jerry SuckHeimer

PostMon Jul 29, 2013 1:20 am

So, basically a ton of obfuscation of what you are actually doing. No real mention of anything remotely realistic, and all of a sudden you've reinvented the wheel?

Anything with an rf radio needs FCC ID or CE ID to be used legally...

No mention of what kind of Wifi radio...

Maybe it's just one of these in a new box

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B005L9ZZ32 ... X110_SY190

http://www.actiontec.com/products/produ ... fXDFDm9LCQ

Been out since 2011.

And maaaybe a mod to the open source firmware...

http://opensource.actiontec.com/mwtvtr.html

garybruckheimer

PostMon Jul 29, 2013 2:19 pm

Hi Jerry SuckHeimer (nice nickname by the way),

i´m sorry that you dont understand our ideas. It sounds like you dont like what we do, if so, you dont have to buy it :)

FCC is required for US and CE for europe. Customers can be sure that we will follow all legal requirements which are required to use a device in a 5.8ghz. Most of the modulators that you can license already have the required FCC.

I am sure that when we are sitting face2face you would not speak about our products that you dont know.

If you have time, meet us at the IBC in Amsterdam, the world's largest video exhibition in europe. We will show our first units at IBC this year. You are cordially invited.

Do you really think that our product have something todo with this product,
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B005L9ZZ32 ... X110_SY190 ?

Right, we open the case, flex the PCB board, connect cables to the processor, update a new firmware hack and enable the antenna bus to extend the range with an low cost wifi booster :)

hehe..funny and nice idea..

Thanks for this link:
http://opensource.actiontec.com/mwtvtr.html

I dont know this before, interesting to know that there is a opensource device on GPL license, will take a look on this.

I´m sure that people understand what we are doing and i thank a lot for all the PM that i received here.

Your turn :)

Thanks
gary

Terry Frechette

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jul 29, 2013 2:33 pm

Morning everyone:

This thread has turned away from the original purpose of the topic, so I am going to lock it.

Terry
Previous

Return to Live Production