What firmware version is best for my needs.

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Thomas Beck

What firmware version is best for my needs.

PostFri Dec 28, 2012 12:19 am

I will be obtaining a atem me1 in the next couple weeks for the public access station. It is replacing a jvc switcher purchased in 1992! It will do so much more for a fraction of what we paid for the jvc. Anyway.

I need the composite out on the atem. While everything going in is hd, my cable broadcast will be in sd for the couple of years. Firmware 3.4 as many of us know broke the downconvert function.

So, in the event it is not fixed when I get my new switcher, what is best version of firmware that supports the sd out? Audio mixing is not required until or unless I take the unit on the road, which is unlikely. Being able to input a computer from hdmi would be ideal but something i could live without for awhile as I try to figure everything else out.

Any suggestions from those who have had the unit for awhile would be appreciated.

Liam Kennedy

Re: What firmware version is best for my needs.

PostFri Dec 28, 2012 1:31 am

If the 60hz issue won't be a problem then anything prior to 3.4 would work (I believe). If you need 60hz... then 3.1.1

Alternative would be to consider getting the SDI to Analog mini converter - that's not very expensive and may be a useful add on in any case (I have one in my gear bag for events - and used it several times). That device down-converts if needed.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

Darrell Sim

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Dec 28, 2012 6:32 am

It's depending on which video format you are operating on, if say 50i, I'll say most of the firmware versions from 3.1.1 onwards has no issues to the best of my knowledge. However, if you might require embedded audio, then 3.2 onwards will better suit your needs.

Alternatively, like what Liam Kennedy suggested, you can consider getting the SDI to Analog Mini Converter as that is quite a useful item to have in your broadcast facility if you might require a Component or Composite output.
Darrell Sim
Support Engineer
Blackmagic Design Asia
support-asia@blackmagicdesign.com

JohnBengston

PostFri Dec 28, 2012 2:39 pm

Darrell,

It's a bit disingenuous to say all firmware after 3.1.1 has no issues, or perhaps you could take some more time to actually "talk" to some more of your customers to get a little better "knowledge", about the problems the changes / removal to / of functionality causes.

Pitching that customers should buy more products, when they ones they have purchased have been broken by bad firmware updates. It's quite unbelievable, to me, that you would expect customers who have bought products from your company, and experienced your customer service, would be inclined to buy more, but hey, the world requires all kinds of people.....

wmpatv, if you run on versions after 2.7.2, you are preventing yourself accessing much functionality which was removed in version 2.8. If you need Audio, you need to move to 3.2, but beware of the problems, you will be at a competitive disadvantage from your peers if you run on post 2.7.2 firmware.

Good Luck

John

Thomas Beck

PostSat Dec 29, 2012 2:53 am

Thanks for the input. I agree I should not have to buy a piece of hardware to support functionality that should already be in place. Hopefully by time I install in February the fix is in and I can move on. I still think BM should utilize some beta testers from a cross section of customers. It would prevent many of these issues and is essentially free labor. I also would rather have fewer updates and have them be more stable and maintain functionality. That too can save labor as you don"t have to run around putting out fires. I work retail for my real job and this have labor and margin control all over it.

Pavel Lavrov

PostSat Dec 29, 2012 3:24 am

We are all beta testers. :)
Pavel L

Thomas Beck

PostMon Jan 07, 2013 11:50 pm

Thanks again. One more question and I am done with this thread. My new laptops will be running on windows 8. Will the older versions run on this operating system? Windows 8 is supposed to run all window 7 programs(so they claim).

Eric Darling

PostTue Jan 08, 2013 5:10 am

Stay away from Windows 8, at least for now. I have heard from BMD that it's a real nightmare in combination with the ATEM hardware, specifically when dealing with configuration.
Eric Darling | eThree Media
www.ethreemedia.com

Xtreemtec

PostTue Jan 08, 2013 10:30 am

pavel89l wrote:We are all beta testers. :)

That was not very funny.... Have fun when your at a client and your gear does not work as it should be and always did!!
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Liam Kennedy

PostTue Jan 08, 2013 7:32 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:Have fun when your at a client and your gear does not work as it should be and always did!!

Which is why it's never advisable to upgrade your firmware without doing a comprehensive test of all the features you need to work - before you use it in a live production. In fact... I usually don't upgrade if I am a few days before an event anyway.

Of course... we should not "have" to be so careful. In an ideal world BMD would not go breaking functionality that we have previously tested and relied upon - but - this sort of things happens with other companies too.

Shaun C. Roemich

PostTue Jan 08, 2013 7:44 pm

Liam Kennedy wrote:
Xtreemtec wrote:Have fun when your at a client and your gear does not work as it should be and always did!!

Which is why it's never advisable to upgrade your firmware without doing a comprehensive test of all the features you need to work - before you use it in a live production. In fact... I usually don't upgrade if I am a few days before an event anyway.

I too believe in this wholeheartedly... however, I recently found out that the upgrade to 2.8 that I did last spring broke the SD output, both SDI and composite, that I use only once a year in October AT the venue... My fault for missing it but I spent two hours ASSUMING it was my DVD Recorder... or cables... or...

My bad (thankfully I had enough SSDs to record in HD in my HyperDeck Studios) but it was a stark reminder that it IS possible to miss something... no more updates for me. System is stable now.
Shaun C. Roemich
Big Dog at
Road Dog Media
Vancouver, BC
www.roaddogmedia.ca

Liam Kennedy

PostTue Jan 08, 2013 7:50 pm

Shaun C. Roemich wrote:I too believe in this wholeheartedly... however, I recently found out that the upgrade to 2.8 that I did last spring broke the SD output, both SDI and composite, that I use only once a year in October AT the venue... My fault for missing it but I spent two hours ASSUMING it was my DVD Recorder... or cables... or...

Yes... that is understandable. Anther good approach is to wait for comments from other "beta testers" who upgrade first. That's how most of us found out about the SD fault in 3.4 firmware even before we upgraded. Of course I was one of the "beta testers" who upgraded from 3.1.1 to 3.2 right as it came out and immediately noticed the failure of all my gear that was sending 60Hz rather than 59.94Hz.

Xtreemtec

PostTue Jan 08, 2013 7:55 pm

Well to tell you my SD was stable. My current firmware is 3.3 But my Composite output got to blank after 2 hours on the job.

SD-SDI was still online. Tested the unit directly to a monitor. No picture. Called to the reseller and they say it still can be a firmware problem. I have send mine unit back for further investigation.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Shaun C. Roemich

PostTue Jan 08, 2013 8:17 pm

Unfortunately, BMD has "end-of-lined" support for Mac OSX 106.8, at least according to the support documents... My Mac is my main edit computer as well so I'm kind of "stuck" where I am...

Guess I need a PC laptop for loading media and setting up the ATEM moving forward... just made sense to use the edit Mac as I could build image sequences for the Stinger, build Photoshop lower thirds... you get the idea... I really didn't want to have to buy new licenses...
Shaun C. Roemich
Big Dog at
Road Dog Media
Vancouver, BC
www.roaddogmedia.ca

Thomas Beck

PostWed Jan 09, 2013 12:59 pm

The are saying two to three weeks for the sd fix. I wont be able to install the atem before then anyway. Ill be glued to the forums to see if anything else "breaks" with 3.5

Return to Live Production