Blackmagic Studio Cameras & built-in image corrections

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

combey

Blackmagic Studio Cameras & built-in image corrections

PostFri Jul 24, 2015 7:34 am

I work for a university that is building a small TV studio. Its operation needs to be simple and it's been decided that there is no need for live-mixing, just recording locally to the cameras on SSD.

Two Blackmagic Studio cameras, each with a Hyperdeck shuttle seem to fit the bill nicely: huge viewfinder, ability to take different lenses, quality recording and simple controls. However, we've hit a snag. The colour correction controls (WB, LUT, etc.) within the camera menu are very limited. It appears this camera has an amazingly configerable colour corrections using a cut-down DaVinci Resolve, but these only appear to be controllable via an ATEM switcher - something we don't need.

So my question is this: is it possible to configure the in-built corrections using software or cheaper device, or is an ATEM the only way to go? The cameras would probably only need set up once for the studio environment, so it does seem overkill to buy a ATEM.

Raphaël Jacquot

Re: Blackmagic Studio Cameras & built-in image corrections

PostMon Jul 27, 2015 1:02 pm

the control data is sent via the SDI return channel, so you need something that is able to do that.
considering the protocol is documented in the manual, you may be able to output the right signals from a decklink card.
see from page 152 of this manual :
http://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/A ... -03-26.pdf

Thomas Petzold

Re: Blackmagic Studio Cameras & built-in image corrections

PostMon Jul 27, 2015 1:48 pm

Hi,

did you have a Decklink SDI-Card, so you can develop a application to send the META-Data by the SDI Output. I have developed a CCU- & Tally-Software for our internal use with that functionality.

Cheers
Thomas

Return to Live Production