atem networking question

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Brian Hancock

atem networking question

PostFri Jan 04, 2013 2:23 am

has anyone used their atem and control panel over media extenders ??? I'm yes i know some of you are saying why would you do that well if you want/have your video feeds at the stage and want control farther away or already have network running that distance ...

i would assume everything would be just as normal just curious ?? i've had issues with some devices not really playing nice with them every now and then ...

also how much network traffic does the control panel and switcher create ... or even with a computer connected in addition ??

Liam Kennedy

Re: atem networking question

PostFri Jan 04, 2013 5:03 am

What do you mean by "media extenders"?

In the context of the ATEM Control Software... that will be running over a wired ethernet connection... so you just need a long ethernet cable. That does not use an extensive amount of bandwidth - but it's not trivial. You can have up to 5 control devices simultaneously connected to the TVS or 1ME.

The other issue that you will have is how to view the Multi-view Out or Program Out. For that you will need either long SDI cables or HDMI (with extender presumeably) - depending on how you will be monitoring. There are reports that a number of HDMI over Cat5 cable devices works pretty well.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

Xtreemtec

Re: atem networking question

PostFri Jan 04, 2013 3:09 pm

Well the interesting idea behind it is that you can go sit with your pc or laptop somewere else far away from the stage. (or what ever your covering) and your mixer can be close to the stage to keep the cables short to the camera's and monitors.) You just have to run 1 network cable and 1 sdi for multiview to your workspace. Saving a lot of cabling to the mixer.

2 weeks ago i had a gig with 10 camera's and i had to go out of the control room and re-adjust camera's.
I took my latop into the live room and was able to control my mixer while adjusting the camera's.

!!one side note!! As the BM mixer network protocol is very intensive in sending and recieving packets.. I found out that control over wireless does work. But everytime 1 or 2 packets were not recieved by the laptop the software disconnected the switcher and i had to reconnect by pressing enter before regaining control of the mixer.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Live Production