ATEM TVS and homie cable length

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Kerry Allan

PostWed Aug 26, 2015 3:17 am

Up until this summer we have used two cameras, 50ft hdmi cables to plug into two intensity pro cards in a windows machine running wire cast. it's always worked fine.

We decided to upgrade to an atem TVS and our problems began. Using the same cameras and cables that work perfectly with the Intensity pro cards, the TVS will not see the signal at all. We even swapped out new "active" 50 ft hdmi cables to boost the signal and nothing....

I'm not clear why there is a difference, but the switcher is useless to us if we can't get the long cables to work.

Does anyone know of a solution?

Any help appreciated.

Kerry

Chad

Re: ATEM TVS and homie cable length

PostWed Aug 26, 2015 7:33 pm

The ATEM's are notorious for not liking low quality HDMI signals (signals degrade over distance). Any cable over 15ft in length is going to have problems or not work at all.

Tobias Dietrich

PostThu Aug 27, 2015 8:32 am

So firstly I can definitely say that the TVS does support longer cables that 15ft. I've been using 15m (50ft) cables without any problems for a long time.
Did you set the video format in the TVS correctly to match your camera output? TVS can only be set to one specific video format and all sources have to be in that format.

Thomas Seewald

PostFri Aug 28, 2015 12:32 pm

So Tobias had a lot of luck....

Most ATEM-users have Problems with HDMI Connections longer than 15ft at input (multiple discussed here and at Atemuser.com) - also me. I decided to use cheep HDMI to SDI converters (sorry BM) from Amazon. I used successfully up to 50m / 150ft with normal Video cable (RG59 type).
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

Kerry Allan

PostFri Aug 28, 2015 5:20 pm

My TVS works fine when we test with short cables, but nothing on our 50ft cables.

So I bought two inline signal boosters that were highly rated and good to boost up to 110ft. Still nothing.

I guess converting to SDI is the only option left. I'm not very informed with this so I'm probably out of line, but I can't help but feel this is very lame given that the intensity pro cards have no trouble at all.

Maybe there's a technical reason I just don't get, but it seems frustrating to me.

Thanks for your help everyone. I'm hunting down hdmi-sdi converters.

Kerry

Thomas Seewald

PostFri Aug 28, 2015 5:51 pm

So I bought two inline signal boosters that were highly rated and good to boost up to 110ft. Still nothing.

Yes, this was also my first try (two different Boosters, one with external power supply) - no success...
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

Kimberley West

PostSat Aug 29, 2015 10:48 pm

If you're shooting 1080 make sure it's i and not p. TVS can't do progressive unless 720.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nikolay Kushnar

PostSun Aug 30, 2015 7:16 pm

We successfully run 100+ ft with the following:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000YCDU6U
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0079MX4Q4
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004NPL4YE

As noted, you want to use highly rated cables for everything, EVEN if you are using a signal booster/extender. I stick to BlueRigger for my HDMI cables, Monoprice for my extenders/duplicators, but any shielded+highly rated CAT6 cable should pretty much work.

Return to Live Production