Atem television studio and Customizing Multi View

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

FabienCondeTV

Atem television studio and Customizing Multi View

PostTue Jan 08, 2013 4:15 pm

We just bought our first Atem TV and only one thing worry me a lot..yes only one thing but i think i'm not alone.
Why we can't customize the multi view settings ? i know it is possible with 1ME and 2...Please
blackmagic, it is so uncomfortable to work like that...when we have for exemple 4 inputs (2 HDMI and 2 SDI) it will be normal to organize the windows like we want (like with 1ME).
This feature is not enabled with the studio television.
Crossing fingers night and days...
Thank you

Azuolas Sinkevicius

Re: Atem television studio and Customizing Multi View

PostTue Jan 08, 2013 5:18 pm

Sorry its not possible with Atem TVS. Only ATEM 1 and 2 have this feature.

FabienCondeTV

PostWed Jan 09, 2013 10:32 am

thank you very much for your fast answer.
I'm so disappointed.

Jonas Bengtson

PostWed Jan 09, 2013 1:35 pm

It actually lists under the tech specs at the product page: "Fixed routing" so you know what you bought before. Unlike the times where Blackmagic actually doesn't tell you the limitations they are right there on the product page.

I believe it has something to do with different hardware (such as no built in matrix, as there is no routeable AUX).

FabienCondeTV

PostWed Jan 09, 2013 2:29 pm

@Jonas, i'm not sure that your comment could help me to be more happy with this product even if of course you are right because you have experience with video switch when i'm just starting, and for you every things make a sense in one second.

I think the solution is maybe to debug and disassemble the application but it is verboten of course but...maybe there is a part to enable the feature with this hardware or bypass the hardware checking.

Jonas Bengtson

PostWed Jan 09, 2013 2:47 pm

FabienCondeTV wrote:I think the solution is maybe to debug and disassemble the application but it is verboten of course but...maybe there is a part to enable the feature with this hardware or bypass the hardware checking.

Again Fabian, i believe this is more a hardware LIMITATION and not a software lockout. The other ATEMs seems to have a builtin crosspoint matrix to reroute the multiviewer, which gives it AUX functionality and AUX over USB. The TV Studio however does not have any AUXes and might therefore not contain a routable internal crosspoint. It is in that case physically impossible to do software routing.

That is probably one of the things that they had to ditch to cut the price in half from the 1M/E. The number of inputs is not changed so much but the crosspoint is probably removed and replaced with a fixed routing table.

FabienCondeTV

PostThu Jan 10, 2013 12:09 pm

Thank you Jonas about your great explanation.
That's funny to see that nobody seems to be concerned after me.
From my side it is a very bad news.It is really hard to work like that

Aleksander Steffensen

PostThu Jan 10, 2013 12:29 pm

Of course it sucks. But like Jonas said, it says so on the product page. You should have checked it before you bought the product. It might be hard to work with, but I am sure you will adapt to it.
Steffensen Multimedia
http://www.stmm.no

Tom_Bassford

PostThu Jan 10, 2013 1:30 pm

Fixed assignments are annoying..

More annoying is the stupid layout of the fixed assignments! It's really annoying that the 2 mediaplayer previews are positioned at the end of each row of previews. It would be much nicer to have them side by side at the end of row 2. This would give you 4 main sources in a row, which is the most intuitive layout for cutting without looking at your hands all the time.

I can't see this changing though.
http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

FabienCondeTV

PostThu Jan 10, 2013 3:12 pm

I agree with you Tom...Complete solution for us will be to organize like we want/need
even if "it is written on the product page"" !!!!

Thomas Seewald

PostThu Jan 10, 2013 3:38 pm

Hey guys, we talk about a mixer for less than € 1000,- ! ...... The missing possibility to arrange the multiviev is no secret. So what ?

When this feature is needed, the 1ME has to be your choice. You get it for less than € 2000,-...

But yes, it would be a great feature request, as well as

- up-/downscaleable inputs (Maby one HDMI-input useable for computer resolutions)
- audio meter in multiview
- 1080p inputs (e.g. for BMCC-owner).
- Stinger transition in TVS
- DVE / Picture in Picture / Supersoure in TVS

But before care about new features, all mentioned properties has to work correctly (thinking about 1/2 ME and the downconvert...)

And it would be nice to get informations, if such feature requests are technically possible with the given hardware ! It makes no sense, to demand impossible things ....
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

Tom_Bassford

PostTue Jan 15, 2013 6:26 pm

Sure, of course all the switchers should behave as advertised with all the functionality which is promoted on the website before new features are added.

The earlier suggestion as to why it is not easy to do multiview assignment in the TVS is most probably correct (lack of crosspoint matrix) however this could be worked around rather simply (with some limitations).

I'd suggest that they could allow a specific window layout to be chosen in the "Atem Setup Utility" - this would then send a preprogramed firmware to the ATEM TVS with this specific layout. This would allow some flexibility in designing the multiview layout, without the full possibility of live layout changes that is offered on the 1&2MEs. This should be totally possible with the current hardware, a similar method is used by the Hyperdeck when selecting a compression format, only the needed codec is included in the device firmware, allowing them to offer a selection of recording format without needing to expand the hardware memory space for firmware.

The other requests Thomas lists in this thread would probably need different (more powerful) hardware and are therefore unlikely to appear as a firmware update for the current device.

cheers
tom
http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

FabienCondeTV

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 9:30 am

I totally agree with your great technical explanation Tom, i am sure more than before now that it could be solved and adjusted at least as you said.And all TVS users in the world will be happy.
It is only a decision that Blackmagic is able to take/do.
Crossing fingers stronger as i can

Thomas Seewald

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 10:16 am

I would like, when BM would give informations, when feature requests are technically impossible.
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

FabienCondeTV

PostThu Jan 17, 2013 6:40 pm

Nothing is impossible, just afraid they don't care about us and our requests

Pavel Lavrov

PostThu Jan 17, 2013 7:17 pm

It is possible but it will cost as much as ATEM 1 M/E.. so what's the point.

Hopefully in a future they can cram in all the goodies into something small and fordable. For v2? Would be nice...
Pavel L

Jonas Bengtson

PostWed Jan 23, 2013 12:37 pm

FabienCondeTV wrote:Nothing is impossible, just afraid they don't care about us and our requests

Actually is kind of impossible with the current hardware.

FabienCondeTV

PostWed Jan 23, 2013 1:14 pm

you are completely wrong :|

Jonas Bengtson

PostWed Jan 23, 2013 1:51 pm

Please explain why i am wrong.

I have done some FPGA design (and i believe the ATEM line is based entirely on FPGAs) and the input/outputs requires a crosspoint to offer input auxes and output auxes. Considering that the cost of the ATEM TV STUDIO is about 2,5 miniconverters (based on XILINX SPARTAN FPGA's) it cannot do so much more.

Quinn Quality

PostFri Jan 25, 2013 10:04 pm

With 2 or 3 SDi to HDMI, you are able to make all your inputs HD/SDi so you can choose which source you want displayed just by connecting the source to the right input. That's what i would do. Unfortunately, adding the TVS and these convertors together make 1 ATEM 1 M/E.
Qmedia.nu
Lijnbaan 16
1969 NE Heemskerk
The Netherlands

FabienCondeTV

PostTue Mar 12, 2013 3:48 pm

yes i agree and you are right, now it is the only solution...solution that coast 450€ for one connection
so 450X3=1350 ):

Return to Live Production