PSD graphics don`t work with ATEM TVS

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Thomas Seewald

PSD graphics don`t work with ATEM TVS

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 9:36 am

Hello,

when I downloaded the ATEM control software, I got graphics examples as PSD-Files. Unfortunately they may be uploded to TVS with the Photoshop plugin, but when I try to upload them with the control software, I get an error.

Is it right, that PSD-graphics can't be uploaded by contol software, or is there an fault in my configuration ?
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

Jeff Amato

Re: PSD graphics don`t work with ATEM TVS

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 11:48 am

According to the manual on page 30...
Compatible Files - The ATEM media pool supports PNG, TGA, BMP, GIF, JPEG and TIFF still image formats

I tried it just out of curiosity on my TVS because ive never tried to drop a psd in the media pool wells, but it gave me an error, for obvious reasons. Great thing is BMD supplied an awesome photoshop plugin!
travel light. live light. spread the light. be the light.

Richard Courtney

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 12:16 pm

TGA is the native format for ATEMs. Origin top left. No RLE.

If you flatten the image does it transfer correctly?

Thomas Seewald

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 12:48 pm

When I convert the PSD-files to TGA, it works. But for me it's funny, to get (many) example files, which only works with photoshop and none example file in TVS' native file format ....
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

Richard Courtney

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 3:21 pm

My opinion is PSD is perhaps the best format for general templates. Open source programs such
as GIMP works well with PSD and does generate "proper TGA" files for ATEM ingest.

For the designer, vector programs such as Adobe Illustrator and open source Inkscape come to mind
especially when users need varied sizes of logos and other artwork. Raster does not play well
when resized. Both programs can generate a raster format. Personally, SVG format is what I share
rather than AI.

Have you found the mediaplayers do not always represent alpha areas as expected? (ie:semi transparent)

Liam Kennedy

PostMon Jul 08, 2013 6:36 pm

Now this post has received a SPAM post and it's brought itself back to the top in the forum I thought I should add something to the original question.

While the TVS (any ATEM) does not have direct support for PSD (Photoshop) files in the media pool (you cannot drag/drop them to the media pool. You can however create your lower thirds and other graphics in Photoshop and then directly transfer them to the TVS via the plugin that is installed along with the ATEM software.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

Return to Live Production