ATEM Studio & ProPresenter Signal Flow, Feedback Loop?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Ervz Tia

ATEM Studio & ProPresenter Signal Flow, Feedback Loop?

PostTue Sep 29, 2015 2:37 am

Hello!

We're peparing for an event and planning to use the ATEM studio and ProPresenter on an iMac.

THE PLAN : [PLease look at the drawing]
1. Send a mixed video signal from the ATEM to the ProPresenter (iMac) for overlaying, etc. - Show on big screen.
2. Send ProPresenter back to the ATEM for recording.

Is this is a good layout? I need to verify the loop connection.

-----
Attachments
0_atem-propres.jpg
0_atem-propres.jpg (557.99 KiB) Viewed 8865 times

Chad

Re: ATEM Studio & ProPresenter Signal Flow, Feedback Loop?

PostTue Sep 29, 2015 6:18 pm

Yes, this should be fine. I assume you are using the AUX send to do the recording of the ProPresenter output? Normally, though, you plug all the cameras and propresenter into the ATEM and let the ATEM do the overlaying, that way you avoid the large amount of delay that ProPresenter adds to the output to the screen.

Scott Ryan

PostWed Sep 30, 2015 2:41 am

As Chad said you would probably want the ATEM to do the overlaying / keying. ProPresenter has add in modules you can buy like the SDI output module or even better the alpha key module (for a true linear key with key + fill). You would then need the appropriate hardware (2 synced SDI outputs for alpha key) on your Mac to send it to the ATEM. Then you would setup the key on the ATEM and overlay it then send it out to your screen. This way you basically are using the switcher like a switcher and ProPresenter as your graphics generator.

Ervz Tia

PostWed Sep 30, 2015 6:32 am

Cool! Awesome ideas. We will explore the ProP's auxilliary feature. Let me clarify, so you are saying we can send a live camera feed to PP for lyrics overlay, then send it back to the mixer for recording?
Right now, we are trying to max out the PP's stock feature before buying any add-ons.

Thanks!

Thomas Seewald

PostWed Sep 30, 2015 9:32 am

Which ATEM studio is used ?

ATEM Television Studio ? - No chance, it has no Aux outputs to feed the isolated propresenter stream to a recorder.

ATEM Production Studio ? - Yes. It has Aux outputs.

In general, I think Scott's idea it the right one....
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

Ervz Tia

PostWed Sep 30, 2015 10:41 am

Thanks. Very helpful!

Scott Ryan

PostWed Sep 30, 2015 5:48 pm

Ervz Tia wrote:Cool! Awesome ideas. We will explore the ProP's auxilliary feature. Let me clarify, so you are saying we can send a live camera feed to PP for lyrics overlay, then send it back to the mixer for recording?
Right now, we are trying to max out the PP's stock feature before buying any add-ons.

Thanks!

No, all cameras go to the ATEM. Graphics from PP go to the ATEM. They are both combined on ATEM.

Look here under 'additional technical details'
http://www.renewedvision.com/propresent ... lpha_keyer

You could do it without the pricey alpha key module and use a basic luma key or chroma key depending on your graphics. It may not look as clean though.

As for recording, you would need an aux output (or a loop through or splitter) on your switcher like Thomas said above. That depends on which switcher you have.

Ervz Tia

PostFri Oct 30, 2015 9:59 am

THANKS EVERYONE! The event went well (with few glitches).
WE only have the basic ATEM TV Studio. We went on with the original workflow having ProPresenter managing the screens. We did this because we want to have a clean camera recording.

Photos here: https://www.facebook.com/wmcasiapacific/photos/a.734471083321025.1073741887.223054921129313/734534873314646/?type=3&theater

davidcherrie

PostThu Nov 05, 2015 2:17 am

I would never run the last output through ProPresenter. The program is a mess and has so many bugs and crashes a lot. I only ever used it as a source or used it as a luma fill and key to an external mixer.

Since falling out from ProPresenter and their product we have moved to QLab with a custom built interface that operates like a VizRT machine for 1% of the cost.

$400 USD for a live luma key output.
David Cherrie

ATEM 2 M/E Production Studio 4K | ATEM 1 M/E Production Studio 4K | Smartview Videohub 20x20 | UltraStudio 4K | UltraStudio Express

Andre Andreghetto

PostTue May 23, 2017 8:23 pm

Hey Guys! how are you? I really hope some of you could help me....I saw this post about using ATEM Studio + Propresenter together.... I really new to this and I am helping my local church to set up the screens and live broadcasting.

We are trying to make the set up as you can see on the picture above...

A) ATEM will control the cameras, apple tv signal and propresenter images and videos to broadcast it live
B) Propresenter will control the screens and sometimes show the apple tv presentations controlled by the speaker, also the lyrics and bible verses...

My questions are:

1) How to make that conection between ATEM AND PROPRESENTER
2) What to use for that set up? What equipment/interfaces?

Thank you in advance

Return to Live Production