ursa mini - live

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

JohnBengston

Re: ursa mini - live

PostThu Apr 21, 2016 9:19 pm

wesley chappell wrote:Belden just released the 4794R that will do 12G up to 100M. I did the product demonstration at NAB. This is what we will be using for our URSA Minis.

Useful information, thanks for that Wesley.

dpictMEDIA

PostThu Apr 21, 2016 10:38 pm

Got my hands on it a NAB - this will work fine. Just have to price it out as a complete package and see where the total number lands. Also it will be interesting if anyone slaps a SD lens on it ... see if it looks ok like on EX3's.

http://imgur.com/a/fbkkf

http://i.imgur.com/icnUjX3.jpg
Aric Mackey

martin.dwight

PostThu Apr 21, 2016 11:40 pm

Has anyone considered options for CCU on this camera over wireless link?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Patrick Rinner

PostFri Apr 22, 2016 3:06 pm

Do you think they'll bring an adapter to support 4K B4 lenses?

Why isn't it possible to use them currently in 4K mode?

I saw a video on youtube where someone used a B4 lens with an adapter on the FS7 and the image quality was great.

YngveMoberg

PostSun Apr 24, 2016 9:39 am

Anyone know the sensor size when in windowed mode? Equal to 2/3" or (25,34mm/4608px X 1920) 10,56mm (less then 1/2"?

Crop factor?

Tarek Saneh

PostSun Apr 24, 2016 1:51 pm

Guys, Tristan Pemberton from the cinematography forum tried the Ursa mini 4.6k with b4 lens, he said the quality is like the sony 400 but with more dynamic range and it was very sharp.
More tests is needed but i think its good news
Tarek Saneh
Creative & Technical Director
http://www.wonderweb.ae
Dubai - UAE

Tom_Bassford

PostMon Apr 25, 2016 12:35 am

Sony 400?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

Tarek Saneh

PostMon Apr 25, 2016 5:27 am

Tom_Bassford wrote:Sony 400?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sony Pmw 400
Tarek Saneh
Creative & Technical Director
http://www.wonderweb.ae
Dubai - UAE

Greg_Kanan

PostMon May 09, 2016 2:29 am

Has Timecode from the SDI return been submitted as a feature request? If it's possible, I would love to see this added.

I haven't tested it myself, but it sounds like from previous entries, that the camera tally is only displayed by the light on the front of the viewfinder, and not within the viewfinder itself. Can anyone verify if this is true? For our purposes the operator is the only person who needs to see tally and we often need to disable or cover any external lights. I know that the Ursa does not generate the same tally boarder as the ATEM camera converter, which is a disappointment, as we will require to use non Blackmagic field monitors for certain build-ups (at least until the Studio Viewfinder is actually available) and will need to figure out a way to give the operator tally.

Thank you.

Sebastian Kaz

PostTue May 10, 2016 6:50 am

Sorry to hijack the thread, I just have a couple of questions regarding using the URSA mini in a live environment...

If I were to use a single SDI cable to run to the ATEM switch, does it push signal back like talkback and tally? Or do I require a second cable running back to the SDI In port to get this?

And there's no single wireless solution is there? I'd need to run 2 TX->RX transmitters, one on the camera and one from the desk, yeah? Or is there an ability to send the data back that I'm unaware of?

Matt Certa

PostTue May 10, 2016 4:01 pm

correct a second cable from the switcher to the SDI In is used to send back the tally, return video, and any software controlled commands. The camera manual has the details of how to set it up.

Sebastian Kaz

PostWed May 11, 2016 12:10 am

Oh, cool. Thanks Matt.
Must have skimmed over that part too quickly. I'll have another look.

Peter Wood

PostThu May 12, 2016 11:06 am

Greg_Kanan wrote:Has Timecode from the SDI return been submitted as a feature request? If it's possible, I would love to see this added.

I haven't tested it myself, but it sounds like from previous entries, that the camera tally is only displayed by the light on the front of the viewfinder, and not within the viewfinder itself. Can anyone verify if this is true? For our purposes the operator is the only person who needs to see tally and we often need to disable or cover any external lights. I know that the Ursa does not generate the same tally boarder as the ATEM camera converter, which is a disappointment, as we will require to use non Blackmagic field monitors for certain build-ups (at least until the Studio Viewfinder is actually available) and will need to figure out a way to give the operator tally.

Thank you.

I can confirm that the URSA mini does NOT have any tally. Not even on the small LED on the front. The only way at the moment is buy the EVF or make a custom solution.
Woody

Greg_Kanan

PostSun May 15, 2016 9:28 pm

Peter Wood wrote:
I can confirm that the URSA mini does NOT have any tally. Not even on the small LED on the front. The only way at the moment is buy the EVF or make a custom solution.

Thanks, Peter.

With that in mind, does anyone know if the SDI arduino shield will be capable of receiving commands as well as sending? It would be useful to de-embed the tally information.

Thank you

Beau Monaghan

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 2:36 am

Hello,

It was fun going back and reading all of this and then seeing what the camera really can do (like interlace).

I have a question about PTT. I use B4 lenses with Sony HXC-100 and HSC-100 cameras. On the Canon, Fuji or any B4 lens, on the studio zoom controller there is a PTT button. Wouldn't this work for the PTT button for the URSA mini?

If the camera supports the apple TRRS mic, is it always on and sending if there is no PTT?

Thank You,

Also, tally in the eyepiece viewfinder would be nice.
Beau Monaghan
Technology Manager
Meeting Services, INC
(858) 348-0100 x466
www.MSIProd.com

Xtreemtec

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 5:34 am

No you need a real iPhone style headset. In the wire is normally a push button on the mic thingy.. this button shorts 2 pins So the iPhone knows when to mute or hang up a call. This same principal is used for the ursa..

Not of much use in noisy enviroments.. and not impendance ready for Peltor or Clarck proffesional headsets widely used in the pro broadcast.

Why they choose this way is that it is cheap to buy accessoires like headsets for this camera. But Then again does render it useless when using it in most of the live sessions where audio is amplified or music / concert events..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Raphaël Jacquot

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 6:26 am

you can use those bose noise cancelling headphones, which are iphone compatible

Beau Monaghan

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 6:54 am

I have tried using iphone earbuds. Even pressing the button. I can not get the mic to work in the headphones.
Beau Monaghan
Technology Manager
Meeting Services, INC
(858) 348-0100 x466
www.MSIProd.com

Benjamin Higginbotham

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 4:51 pm

Beau Monaghan wrote:I have tried using iphone earbuds. Even pressing the button. I can not get the mic to work in the headphones.

Double tap the button to talk. Single tap again to stop talking. It isn't uber intuitive and not super awesome. I would say the current implementation would be more for emergency listen-only comms. I realize that is sometimes easier said than done though. Really it depends on your event characteristics if this solution will work for you. If you have the budget I suggest running real comms instead.

I ran across this: http://www.camplex.com/product.aspx?ite ... JACK-APTT1 when searching for better on-camera comms solutions. Never tried it. Curious if anyone on the forum has? If so, happen to know if it works with the URSA Mini audio jack and not require the ATEM Camera Converter? Would be kinda nice as we have the cams already linked to our RTS ADAM today... Just... meh on the camera side of the operation.
Benjamin Higginbotham
TMRO - Making Space Commonplace

Weston Woodbury

PostTue Sep 05, 2017 8:43 am

Building a studio setup & have some questions for those with more experience and hands on:

- Gary Adam pointed out early in this thread that the return button on a B4 lens servo will trigger program feed. Can anyone confirm if this works with with Canon's CN-E servo zooms (the 18-80 & upcoming 70-200) with the EF communication? Or does that servo handgrip's button trigger record, or not function? And with the single 20pin out on the bottom, if you hook up a zoom demand unit, would the program return button work on that? Further, using Canon-recommended Zacuto y-cable to get focus and zoom demands working through the single 20p port, does program return button still work?

- /\ What about with other S35's that do communicate via the camera body's 12pin--like the the Canon 17-120, and Cabrio 85-300?
Daniel X, you mentioned using these on some festivals, any insight on hangrip RET and demand unit RET functionality?

- When pressing PGM on the camera, we're seeing a 1-2 second flash of black on the front-sdi (viewfinder), while the built in LCD immediately changes signals which is as expected/correct behaviour. We have 'reference' set to program in the mini's menu. Is this common to everyone else? If not, any ideas to address it?

- 'Program Mix' in for the operators: why is this mix only present when pressing PGM, and otherwise seems to be a volume control of hearing the camera's on-board microphone? Program audio should be in heads permanently, or at least an option to set it to do so. No need for operators to monitor the camera's audio in most live broadcast applications.

- Am I correct in seeing that the on-screen tally border only works on the build in LCD? It would be useful on the studio viewfinder, but is even more crucial on the handheld viewfinder, where in the eyepiece, there's no tally indications, unless I'm missing something on how to enable the green and red borders like the LCD displays. 'Grid' and 'frame guide' is on, 'clean output' is off, for the front SDI. I'm seeing other drawn elements like the center mark.

- What headsets / adapter solutions have you all settled on for the 3.5mm TRRS with sadly no PTT even though I can assign a function button to PTT, but it doesn't do anything(?). A custom inline adapter that "answers the phone" and just leaves the line open, then using a headset that features PTT on it/is muted by default/has an on/off switch, seems like it could be a decent workaround until/if this is hopefully reworked in the software.

Otherwise, things are going well as we're putting the pieces together, really quite a impressive solution and accomplishment, given the very low relative costs.

Thanks much to anyone that can chime in!
:mrgreen: ww

Xtreemtec

PostTue Sep 05, 2017 12:23 pm

Are you gonna use it for live iMag? #Latency....
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Weston Woodbury

PostTue Sep 05, 2017 9:43 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:Are you gonna use it for live iMag? #Latency....

No IMAG for this application, just recording PGM and cam isos.

Matt Certa

PostWed Sep 06, 2017 2:45 pm

you have to manually set the Tally from the ENG viewfinder menu from the buttons on top of the eyepiece. its at least one "feature" that isnt controlled from the camera like everything else.

Weston Woodbury

PostFri Sep 08, 2017 2:51 am

Matt Certa wrote:you have to manually set the Tally from the ENG viewfinder menu from the buttons on top of the eyepiece. its at least one "feature" that isnt controlled from the camera like everything else.

Thank you Matt, I'll look into that next chance I get. You're right, coming from other camera systems, I didn't think the eyepiece settings would be separate and assumed they would just be controlling the same Front SDI settings. Will check it out!

Matt Certa

PostFri Sep 08, 2017 2:27 pm

i spent days emailing BM tech support and they couldnt figure it out either.

Håvard Njåstad

PostFri Sep 15, 2017 1:18 pm

For the people talking about Ursa mini 12G production earlier in this thread; AJA released their new 12G SDI to Fiber adapters. What do you think?

https://www.aja.com/products/mini-converters/fido

Xtreemtec

PostSat Sep 16, 2017 11:48 am

At $1325 for a 12G tranceiver i think pretty expensive.!!

I have seen other companies yesterday on the IBC haveing 12G tranceivers for $895 dollar. ;)

Even 1 that powered the whole Ursa mini form the Fiber converter.. From a hybrid fiber cable.

These 12G SFP's are quite expensive still.. Hence the high pricetag..

Mark Lyle

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 2:02 am

$1325 for a 12G tranceiver? too expensive
Recently the FS.COM sales send the new product catalogs to me, in which 12G SDI 10km transceiver is $200. If you are interested, you can visit their website.

Knut Bussian

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 4:26 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:At $1325 for a 12G tranceiver i think pretty expensive.!!

I have seen other companies yesterday on the IBC haveing 12G tranceivers for $895 dollar. ;)

Even 1 that powered the whole Ursa mini form the Fiber converter.. From a hybrid fiber cable.

These 12G SFP's are quite expensive still.. Hence the high pricetag..

Can you tell us (link) which one? It isn't for sure fieldcast, is it?

Knut

Xtreemtec

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 5:58 pm

Knut Bussian wrote:Can you tell us (link) which one? It isn't for sure fieldcast, is it?

Yes it was.. Check the pricing for yourself. It is on their website. http://fieldcast.eu/products/converters

Pieter van Roijen

PostFri Oct 27, 2017 7:04 am

We have the FieldCast Converter Three since this week and it works fine with our Mini Ursa's and Fieldcast fiber. Two issues however, the first its a 6G because the 12G wasn't available. It supports up to 4Kp30. We do everything in HD3G so thats not a real problem yet. The second one, and that was a bit of a surprise, it needs a power supply. This is supplied but means still another cable to the camera instead of only the fiber. We are trying to figure out if its possible to power the converter by using a D-tap male/female cable.
Instructor Audiovisual Media.
BM Atem, BM studio camera's, BM MiniUrsa's with Studio VF and canon 4.4 18-80mm, Skaarhoj RCP, Fieldcast, Cambo Crane, Autocue.

Xtreemtec

PostMon Oct 30, 2017 7:41 pm

Pieter,
Yes you can power the converters from the D-tap. You can safely power it from a power source from 10-18Volt.
If you have the Hybrid cable (Power and fiber in 1 cable) you could have powered them from the fiber cable.
But with only fiber you can not power a box ;)

Pieter van Roijen

PostTue Oct 31, 2017 8:23 am

Xtreemtec wrote:Pieter,
Yes you can power the converters from the D-tap. You can safely power it from a power source from 10-18Volt.
If you have the Hybrid cable (Power and fiber in 1 cable) you could have powered them from the fiber cable.
But with only fiber you can not power a box ;)

Thanks :) We do not have the hybrid cable, so i will try to get my hands on some D-Tap cables.
Instructor Audiovisual Media.
BM Atem, BM studio camera's, BM MiniUrsa's with Studio VF and canon 4.4 18-80mm, Skaarhoj RCP, Fieldcast, Cambo Crane, Autocue.
Previous

Return to Live Production