Ultrascope Freeze

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

juanjo

Ultrascope Freeze

PostSat Jan 12, 2013 12:06 am

Hello,
I have a PC with Windows 7 with 2 monitors 24 inches each in a small Control Room. One of them I use it for the control of all the machines (Routing, Dashboard, Intercom, etc) and normal use as internet, and the other monitor for the Ultrascope PCI in Full View to check the cameras. The problem is that if I use any other window for other program the Ultrascope stop working and freeze the picture until I go back to him and press the mouse button in it.
I need it working always at the second monitor of the PC, that is anyway 5 meters away from the first one.
How can I do it?
Juanjo Trivino
ATM Broadcast America LLC
Miami, FL
www.atm-es.com

Justin Strauber

Re: Ultrascope Freeze

PostSat Jan 12, 2013 12:09 am

The ultrascope software needs to be in 'focus' in order to be active. If you want it full-time, it needs to be running on a computer exclusively dedicated to it.

juanjo

PostSat Jan 12, 2013 12:43 am

I can´t believe it !! So I can´t use any other aplication in the computer without losing the waveform!
There is no other way to have the Ultrascope as "always on top" or something like that?
Are you gonna fixed it? Because, actually, we bought two of them and the second one is gonna start working as the first one in a very short period
Juanjo Trivino
Miami, FL
www.atm-es.com

Aleksander Steffensen

PostSat Jan 12, 2013 1:11 am

As a matter of fact, the freeze thing is something that came with an update a while back. Before updating to the latest Ultrascope software (at the time), it was fully functional even when not in focus. When I asked about this, a BMD representative told me this was intentional because they don't want people using the Ultrascope computer for other activities.

In my opinion, that sucks. It worked flawlessly even when using the computer doing other things, so why change that? BMD, please fix this. It is a great dealbreaker.
Steffensen Multimedia
http://www.stmm.no

juanjo

PostSat Jan 12, 2013 1:35 am

Yes, please, fix this PROBLEM. Mostly, I´m sure that the Ultrascope Software is used for small productions, you can not expect to use un computer for each aplication you need. Normally should be the PC for control. I can´t not freeze the Shading in a live production to change some setup in the Intercom!! It´s not worthy!
I´m sure this is very easy for you to solve
Juanjo Trivino
Miami, FL
www.atm-es.com

Xtreemtec

PostSat Jan 12, 2013 12:30 pm

So the same problem should arrise if you have a PC running Ultrascope on a ATEM mixer and also try to control the atem from the other screen??

Aleksander which version does still work while not in focus?
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Aleksander Steffensen

PostSat Jan 12, 2013 1:38 pm

Yes you are correct. I am not sure which version still works. I know I have upgraded the Ultrascope software once, so I'll check it which version we're at when I get the chance, and let you know.
Steffensen Multimedia
http://www.stmm.no

Mathijs

PostSat Jan 12, 2013 2:24 pm

They should not make choices that pisses their clients off. They should at least make it a choice in a menu.
If they are afraid it takes away performance, just point out it is on the user's own responsibility.

I have a few PC's in my rig that are used for different things each production, with multiple screens etc.
I know it can run ultrascope fine while running other things, because at this time I start the other things before ultrascope anyways. No problem, so why do we have to waste processing power and use an extra machine?

Ivan Tanaskovic

PostTue Jan 15, 2013 2:51 am

Did anyone tried scopebox 3?

juanjo

PostTue Feb 19, 2013 4:26 pm

I installed version 1.5 and it works perfectly. I don´t know if there is something different in the next versions, but this one doesn´t freeze and looks the same.
Juanjo Trivino
Miami, FL
www.atm-es.com

scott.rosenberg

PostWed Apr 12, 2017 5:19 am

I know it's impolitic to resurrect a 4 year old thread, but since this is still an issue I figured I'd do it anyway.

Does anyone have v1.5 knocking about who could send it to me? BM seems to have eradicated it from the support section, and the earliest version available (v1.6 from 2012) also blocks the app from updating when it doesn't have focus.

Just to add my 2c in the vain hope that someone from BM sees this:

Like it or not, we're buying Blackmagic equipment because we can't afford vaguely feature comparable ~$30K equipment from Leader, Tektronix, or whomever. Hence having a separate computer isn't necessarily doable for some of us. Let alone the fact that an UltraScope card, a computer and attendant peripherals, and a 1080p monitor costs MORE than an UltraScope Duo 4K. Which supports higher resolutions than the UltraScope card anyway.

It's madness to cripple the overall more expensive choice, especially when it's a matter of a couple of lines of code. It's also madness to run a dedicated computer to do something that (as far as I observed) uses virtually no CPU, little RAM, and only 1 PCIe lane.

If running it on a shared computer kills performance (which it shouldn't), that should be my option.

Return to Live Production