ATEM Emulator/Simulator

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Michael Kolowicz

ATEM Emulator/Simulator

PostTue Oct 27, 2015 9:08 am

Hello,

i´m looking for a ATEM Emulator/Simulator to train me to using the ATEM Software. I want to use the software without the hardware. I want that the Software react as the hardware was installed.

I dont need the output. I need only the "lights" are working.

My idea is that I can train me at home to do some key strokes.

Or can I install the software with a special switch so that they dont search for ATEM Hardware?

Thanks for your reply

Michael Kolowicz

Re: ATEM Emulator/Simulator

PostMon Aug 27, 2018 8:26 am

Hello,

since my last question about that some times goes by. Now I want to ask again if a Simulator for the ATEM Mixer Software is available. I want it for preproduction our cuts

Thomas Seewald

PostMon Aug 27, 2018 7:00 pm

First, I found this idea great. But later, some questions came and I didn‘t found a good answer....

What would be the wanted effect ? To see, that buttons are pressed ? This would maybe make sense, when you produce thrd party controllers or software without having the hardware. In this case, i would borrow or rent a unit.

The simulation for education would make sense, when there also would exist simulated sources to watch the cuts and effects...

Preproduction of cuts means what ? Du you want to design a long macro as a rundown for a complete show or main parts ? Without any visible control ? Only by store the pressed keys ? In ths case, I would suggest JustMacros software. You record the needed sequences once and recombine them by copy paste. No ATEM and no control software necessary.
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

Ian Morrish

PostThu Aug 30, 2018 6:37 pm

This might be what you are looking for.
https://github.com/Dev1an/Atem-Simulator
I haven't tried it as it is Mac only.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Regards,
Ian Morrish
Video Integrated Scripting Environment
(Windows PowerShell with ATEM driver + more)
https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com

Michael Kolowicz

PostFri Aug 31, 2018 11:53 am

Very nice project with the SWIFT - I think that can be the right way.

But I think I must wait a while but i havent a MAC ;-)

Richard Courtney

PostTue Sep 04, 2018 1:39 am

Look at virtualbox. I don't own Mac gear but can write code on/for them.

Xtreemtec

PostTue Sep 04, 2018 3:36 pm

Would a Mac mini late 2012 / 2014 with snow lepard be enough to run swift and this emulation?
** Totally no experience with mac's besides that i have to hook them up to our live gigs now and then.. :lol:
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Dev1an

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 4:07 pm

The swift library is not specifically made for macOS. You can easily use it on Ubuntu too. I made a simple command line simulator as an example: https://github.com/Dev1an/Atem-Simulato ... andLineApp

petripeura

PostMon Dec 17, 2018 11:01 am

Hi Damiaan!
It was quite easy to put it running on Ubuntu.
One problem: Atem software (v6.8.2, downloaded from bmd page) says that "your switcher requires a sofware update". But in this case, update is not solution.

What version should I use?

-
Petri

Mr-Angel

PostWed May 27, 2020 5:50 pm

Was there ever a solution for this? I am getting the same "Your switcher requires a software update" notification.

Dave Del Vecchio

PostWed May 27, 2020 10:15 pm

The ATEM Simulator software seems to have originally be written against an older version of the ATEM software. But it was updated in November 2019 to support ATEM Software 8.1:
https://github.com/Dev1an/Atem-Simulator/issues/3

So if you have an older (or perhaps newer) version of the ATEM Software installed, I would try explicitly installing 8.1 and see if that works. If it still doesn't work with 8.1, you might want to open a ticket with the original developer through the Github page for the project.

rpiboy

PostWed Jun 24, 2020 2:25 am

Thanks to Dave point me to this thread.

I'll jump in here and say.

I wish BlackMagic would fully support this. An emulator/simulator is excellent for training, testing and general education, particularly in scenarios where you don't have full time access to the actual gear. With the release of the Mini and now MiniPro I could see an audience for this only growing. In my particular case the MiniPro is at the church, and I'm not really up for heading over there @ 10:00pm at night to try something out or test something I've learned so I can put it into production on Sunday. Furthermore an emulator could allow you to create macros in advance, then import into the real gear, this again would be huge. A true emulator would have "fake feeds" or allow you to tee up some video files to use. The emulator could have a hard limit on the allowed length of the clip, it could be hard coded with some clips or it could be hard coded with stills to simulate sources. As I mentioned in my thread, I'd be happy with bars or a target labeled with the source name.

Edit: a full emulator would provide an emulation of the M/V window that you get out of the switcher itself, this would be rendered in another window on the screen, so this would work best either running on one of the massive widescreens people have these days or dual monitors, whichever. This goes along with the hardcoded clips/stills or being able to substitute your own "fake" source. The point is to emulate, not provide way that someone could hack together a "production switcher". You don't need broadcast quality, just broadcast (like) interaction.

Additionally, while Macs are cool, and I know they're very popular with the AV crowd, their not the only thing out there, and again with the Mini/M-Pro there will be a lot more people trying to do this type of work who (a) don't have Macs (b) don't have the budget for a Mac.

Would love to see this get some attention, given that someone already managed to write an open source version, it doesn't seem like it would be all that hard to make this "real". I'll also go on the record as saying I have a great deal of familiarity with software development, the process and resources required. I get it, nothing is ever "easy" when writing software, but there are levels of effort and challenge.

Thanks!
- Robert Manna
Accidental Streaming Production Manager and general AV geek

MambaFiber.com

PostWed Jun 24, 2020 8:33 pm

not to be a downer, but to get what you are after you'd need the entire processing power of the ATEM coded into a PC app. I don't see BMD going this way at all. I also don't get why people think an emulator is really going to help. the only help an emulator provides is to learn the GUI interface. big deal. it won't teach you anything about switching a show, because you really need to be able to see the switcher output to know if you are doing things that produce your desired output. how would you build a chromakey with out being able to make sure the clip looks good? how would you see that you accidentally reversed your key/fill for graphics? how would you know that a macro runs as intended? many have trouble enough with macros when they CAN see the output.

the ATEM control software is very basic code, it just *controls* the ATEM that does all the work. as I've suggested before, my best suggestion is to buy an ATEM mini, hook up some sources and practice with that. Sure the bigger models have more layers/resources, but the Mini covers the basics to learn how to switch, which is what most here lately really need to do.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

rpiboy

PostWed Jun 24, 2020 9:00 pm

We have an ATEM mini Pro, I'm not there most of the time. This is part time for me (see sig), I'm not a pro, I'm trying my hardest. You wouldn't need the full processing power for an emulator if there are hardcoded stills representing clips and you don't care about "real-time" performance. Who cares if a transition is jittery or there is artifacting on a "test key", the point is not the output quality (since there is none) the point is being able to have a play with how the features work, test theories or investigate new ways of doing something.

I agree, its about learning the interface, maybe working out how a macro or key would work or maybe you get 80% of the way there (at least you know what you did and you have a starting point). It doesn't replace experience and practice. I just think it would be a helpful tool, then again I don't think like most people, so I could be way off-base.
- Robert Manna
Accidental Streaming Production Manager and general AV geek

ishootyou.com

PostSun Mar 21, 2021 6:22 pm

A working (and easy to set up) Sim would be great to program extensive macros.
------------------------
ishootyou.com
Teaching photography and videography in Switzerland

benmling

PostFri Feb 24, 2023 3:59 am

Barco have a simulator for their Event Master range which is fantastic.
Allows for training without the need for hardware,
Allows for pre production and setup without the hardware,
Allows for system testing: is the switcher going to do what i need?

We're considering ordering a TV Studio HD8, but to be able to simulate one to test that its actually going to do what i want it to do, would be amazing and would seal the purchase...

schatzy62

PostTue Apr 04, 2023 1:19 pm

@ MambaFiber.com

I have to say I 100% respectfully disagree with your comments.

1. Processing power - No not required as this is just for BASIC setup not final production.
2. Emulator would only help learn GUI interface - No it would also allow for setting up the ATEM and producing a xml file to upload to it with all the supersources, macros etc.
3. how would you build a chroma key - okay maybe that is nor complete but if built to start with it would save time by only having to do adjustments, all sources would already be set.
4. Macros running as intended - you build the macro and run it as others have said with static content on the inputs, most of the macro is then built and only some quick updates may need to be made saving a lot of time.
5. By and ATEM Mini and hook up sources - Great idea until you have a situation where you cannot set it up (see my specific reasons below)
6. the Mini covers the basics to learn how to switch, which is what most here lately really need to do - BIG NO as I have seen literally thousands of posts asking for a simulator because that person's specific situation does not allow for actual use of an ATEM, for their own specific reasons they need a simulator.

There are hundreds if not thousands of reasons why a simulator would be a great, awesome, wicked or any other ways of saying it. Here is my "Specific Reason".

My Background
1. Due to medical issues, I cannot fly so I travel via Train.
2. I live in Massachusetts
3. I do hybrid meetings and conferences for 7 Non-Profits
4. These meetings happen multiple time a month
5. They are all over the Continental USA
6. I do this alone I do not have a trained helper, sometimes someone from the nonprofit will help me run cabling etc.
7. Most of the time I have less than 4 hours to set up and 2-3 hours to do final testing.
8. It takes 2-7 days to get all my equipment from one place to another. It does not travel with me, it gets shipped on a pallet.
9. Because I travel by train, I have many free hours to work and get the setups done for the meetings.
10. Typically, I only have 3-7 days between meetings
11. That time is mostly taken up by travel.

So with all that background it would be great to be able to do most of my setup, transitions, supersources, macros, etc mostly done. I could also be doing custom layouts and other things with a simulator as I CANNOT set up the ATEM, a bunch of sources, etc on the train. They just would not allow it.

These same things are applicable to the Church people because most of them are Volunteers. And as at least one has stated in this thread it would be nice to do some setup at home rather than head to the church at 10pm on a weeknight to do new programing or testing of the ATEM setup.

So there are just 2 of "many" examples of why a "simulator" would be a VERY good thing to have available.

Return to Live Production