Protocol documentation

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Raphaël Jacquot

Protocol documentation

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 4:22 pm

I am looking into integrating BMD devices, including micro / compact videohub (for which the control protocol is documented), and atem(s), and would need some documentation of the protocol used to control the atems, including info on uploading pictures to the device.

Liam Kennedy

Re: Protocol documentation

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 4:36 pm

Until BMD provides a better place (they do have a developers mailing list - but not a dedicated forum) you might find some answers to your questions over here http://atemuser.com/forums/atem-vision-mixers/developers. From what I understand there is some basic documentation that is missing from the SDK - so a lot of what the community has created as far as third party tools has been "figured out" by themselves. Hopefully this gap in simple documentation can be resolved soon.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

Dylan Reeve

Re: Protocol documentation

PostThu Aug 30, 2012 11:28 am

Unlike the Videohub control protocol the ATEM protocol is not a simple ASCII socket protocol. The API/SDK that is available from Blackmagic allows control of many of the core functions of the ATEM switchers, but there are also many things that are not implemented in the provided SDK and not documented at all.

Hopefully more features will be added to the SDKs, but it seems unlikely that you'd be able to interface with the ATEM products as simply as you can with the Videohubs any time soon.

Return to Live Production