Which Mac should I buy?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

dougcvaudio

Which Mac should I buy?

PostTue Jan 15, 2013 8:36 pm

Hello,
Our church is looking at updating our video setup mainly so we can start streaming our services. We are looking at using a imac with an appropriate BMD front-end interface so we can record both video and audio on the same computer using Media Express. The big question right now for us is iMac or MacPro. This computer will record the service and be able to do basic editing and also archiving the services for later use. Can I also stream the service from this computer? Disclaimer, I am an audio guy taking on video duties as well. But I want to do this as professional as possible. Tjhanks for the help/advice.

Doug Hammel

Daniel Knoche

Re: Which Mac should I buy?

PostTue Jan 15, 2013 9:35 pm

Depends what sort of BM devices you intend on using; several PCI, MacPro. Thunderbolt, imac.

Sounds like you want to only record one stream in media express; ie one lot of vision/audio which will influence what product is most appropriate. Also depends what your video input in is;: SDI, HDMI, component, composite. And audio input: embedded SDI, HDMI, XLR, RCA

If you want more than one lot of vision (ie 2 cameras or more) that changes things again

MacPro can't do Thunderbolt, very old model (relatively speaking). iMac can do PCI cards with a PCI to thunderbolt adaptor; there are a few around.

Should be able to stream from either. Have seen reviews that the specs for the current imac does beat the MacPro.

Personally would spec the imac as much as possible; i7, Fusion drive, RAM upgrade
Daniel

dougcvaudio

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 10:09 pm

Thanks for your reply Daniel,
The computer will be recording the service real time probably using Media Express at the beginning, maybe Final Cut Pro later on. That part is the "easy" part but can the same computer also feed the the live stream to the internet? Right now the input would be a single camera and a "board mix with audience mics but that will probably expand to several cameras which would end being the output of a switcher
Cheers,
Doug Hammel

Daniel Knoche wrote:Depends what sort of BM devices you intend on using; several PCI, MacPro. Thunderbolt, imac.

Sounds like you want to only record one stream in media express; ie one lot of vision/audio which will influence what product is most appropriate. Also depends what your video input in is;: SDI, HDMI, component, composite. And audio input: embedded SDI, HDMI, XLR, RCA

If you want more than one lot of vision (ie 2 cameras or more) that changes things again

MacPro can't do Thunderbolt, very old model (relatively speaking). iMac can do PCI cards with a PCI to thunderbolt adaptor; there are a few around.

Should be able to stream from either. Have seen reviews that the specs for the current imac does beat the MacPro.

Personally would spec the imac as much as possible; i7, Fusion drive, RAM upgrade

Daniel Knoche

PostThu Jan 17, 2013 5:38 am

Hi Doug,

No problem.

Final Cut X cannot capture live; would still need to use Media Express.

In terms of live streaming, not my area of expertise. But have a look at Telestream's wirecast http://www.telestream.net/wirecast/overview.htm It can capture to disk and stream simultaneously
Daniel

Eric Harrison

PostThu Jan 17, 2013 3:24 pm

My church is looking at doing the same thing. We already have an ATEM 1 M/E Production Switcher (should of gotten the 2 M/E).

Here is what products we are looking at for capture:

27" iMac (3.4GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5)
    BMD UltraStudio Mini Recorder - $145
    Final Cut Pro X

With this setup, we can come out HD-SDI from our ATEM into the UltraStudio Mini Recorder. Come out of that into the iMac via Thunderbolt. The reason for the iMac being so "beefed" up is so that we can use it with little to no problems for at least 4-6 years. I would not get a Mac Pro until they update it because the iMac lineup is better and current with today's technologies.

After we capture the service, I'll take into Final Cut Pro X and edit it. Then export it to Vimeo.

For our streaming, we are looking into the LiveStream Broadcaster (http://store.livestream.com/products/li ... roadcaster). All that we would do is come out HDMI from our ATEM into it and connect a ethernet cable to our network.

Hope that helps.

Daniel Knoche

PostSun Jan 20, 2013 10:28 pm

Agree with Eric (imac over MacPro),

The only thing with Eric's solution is that you need to have an HDMI in on the Livestream.

So if you've only got the single camera, the next step is an important step for Livestream.

In Eric's case, he can go SDI/HD-SDI from the ATEM into the mini recorder and also go HDMI into the livestream.

If your camera has both SDI and HDMI out, you could go SDI into the ultrastudio and HDMI into the livestream.
If SDI only, would need something like the Ultrastudio Express, which can do HDMI out of what your're capturing and that then goes to the livestream
HDMI only; intensity extreme, which again can do HDMI out simultaneously.
For all of these you will also need to purchase a thunderbolt cable and also having a 3.5mm audio coming from your audio system
Daniel

Daniel Knoche

PostSun Jan 20, 2013 10:42 pm

Daniel

Return to Live Production