Hyperdeck shuttle 2 keeps updating with 4.4 drivers

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Neil Adamson

Hyperdeck shuttle 2 keeps updating with 4.4 drivers

PostMon Dec 21, 2015 7:59 pm

Hello

I have tried the 4.4 and 4.4.1 hyperdeck driver update on a Windows 7 and a Windows 8.1 machine and get the same result - that is....

After installing the Hyperdeck 4.4. update I connect the hyperdeck shuttle to the PC with the necessary USB cable and allow the driver to install - (assume it uses a BM driver as the driver install tells me it is looking for the driver through Windows Update)

But the shuttle is recognised as being connected to the PC

When I start the hyperdeck update program I am informed that the Hyperdeck shuttle 2 needs an update and I must not switch off anything until this completes - which it does after a few minutes.

All good so far as this is the expected behavior

BUT....

When I change the recording format from Uncompressed to DNXHD MXF and click save - I am again told that the Hyperdeck shuttles needs to be updated and I must not switch off anything until this completes.

It does the update again and reverts the recording format to uncompressed.

If I try changing anything I get told to update the shuttle again

If I reboot the computer, switch off the hyperdeck, unplug the USB and basically cut off all power and try again - same result - it tells me a firmware update is required - and I still cannot change the settings.

This is not fun and occasionally after the driver update the shuttle will just not switch on
This makes me nervous.

I have gone back to the 4.3 drivers as the 4.4 drivers keep making me update the Hyperdeck shuttle.

Am I doing something wrong?

Ta
Neil

Denny Smith

Re: Hyperdeck shuttle 2 keeps updating with 4.4 drivers

PostMon Dec 21, 2015 8:22 pm

The Hyperdeck 4.0 series updates are for the Hyperdeck Studio only, 4.4 is for the New HD Studio 12G, not the Shuttle, so you should roll back the firmware to 3.x for the Shuttle.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Neil Adamson

PostMon Dec 21, 2015 8:26 pm

Thanks for this - 4.3 seems to work - should I use that or go all the way back to 3.x?
There are no downloads on the BM website for the 3.x drivers so will stick with 4.3

If this is the case - this information is not clearly listed in the download page, the readme file or in any other place that I have seen and ...

Would it not have been quite simple to reject the shuttle as a compatible device when the program starts up and the device is plugged in - instead it proudly recognises it as a shuttle 2, names it as a shuttle 2 and starts the update.

A simple if shuttle 2 then stop running would be relatively easy to place in the application on launch.
Last edited by Neil Adamson on Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom_Bassford

PostMon Dec 21, 2015 8:28 pm

sorry that is incorrect..

the new firmware supports the shuttle.

the shuttle firmware is and always has been format specific. If you want to use a different codec on the shuttle it loads up the firmware for that codec, if you change codec then it reloads the firmware with the codec of your choice. It has always behaved like this, presumably because of limited flash memory space for having multiple codecs in a single firmware (and also a lack of screen / gui to enable codec selection)

it short its working as it is intended to

cheers
tom
http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

Denny Smith

PostTue Dec 22, 2015 3:28 am

Sorry Tom, since the firmware 4.4 update states it is for the Studio version of the Hyperdeck, I saw no advantage to loading it in the Shuttle, since it does not add any features to the Shuttle. However, I bow to your expertise on this area. My Shuttle is running the last 3.x update,for,the Shuttle, and works fine.
Other users have reported issues with the Shuttle, when the 4.0 series updates were applied.

Yes as far as changing Codec choices, you are right, that is how it works. You have to connect to the Hyperdeck utility to change codec recording choices.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Tom_Bassford

PostTue Dec 22, 2015 2:20 pm

The issues people have reported are user errors... Like this guy expecting it to work one way and finding it works another. Rolling back to 3.x doesn't fix his "problem".

I have shuttles, studios and studio pro decks, I run the latest firmware on all of them, it's a unified download which works on all the devices. It actually loads up different firmware to each device, the shuttle firmware hasn't had new features added since 3.x so i suspect it is actually identical to the "old" firmware. Running older downloads on shuttles would be a nightmare for anyone who has shuttles and studios, It's already hard enough to ensure that multiple computers and decks are all running the same firmware let alone suggesting that it is advantageous to use older firmware on some decks.

Blackmagic REALLY DO NOT HELP
with the way this is all managed. The useless software GUI which says "Firmware Update Required" whenever there is a mismatch (specifically the fact that it says this if you plug a device running newer firmware into a computer running an older driver) is infuriating, and makes it really hard to sensibly manage their gear in environments where you have more than a few devices and many computers which can be used for control. The fact that they don't explain that switching codec on the Shuttle will cause it to reload a different firmware is again annoying and foolish as it creates an unnecessary support overhead which could eliminated with a single line of text. Frustratingly it's so simple to fix, all they need do is make the GUI say "Software Mismatch - Device is running firmware 4.3.2 - This computer has software 4.3.0 " then it would be easy to know what was going on and make a decision to either upgrade the computer or downgrade the device.

It's frustrating that these issues persist with Blackmagic as it continues to give the impression that they can't be arsed with their actual users experience of their products.

cheers
tom

Denny Smith

PostTue Dec 22, 2015 7:33 pm

Thanks Tom, I agree with what you are saying. I ran into this when updating my Pocket camera, but had an older version of the firmware updates on my computer, and went back one version, instead of updating to the new one. It would be nice to have the program show device version and updated version.

I only have one Shuttle II, and the original one, so l leave the Ver 2 unit on ProRes, an use the older one for uncompressed SD recording.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Neil Adamson

PostWed Dec 23, 2015 8:37 am

Hi

Thanks for the all the information here -

I did manage to get the 4.4.1 drivers working on a Windows 8.1 machine and the Shuttle did not go into the endless update loop process I had previously experienced.

Also interesting to note is that now the behaviour now appears to be different to what is being discussed above -

i.e. I can change the codec and press save and the shuttle does not do a firmware update - it does however persist that format in the drop down box and post this change the shuttle does record in the format specified.

BTW - This was always my previous experience when using the utility - i.e changing the format did not force an update.

I also connected the shuttle to one of the previous machines and once again it did not force an update and it let me change formats as save the format without any firmware update - so somehow I have escaped the forced update loop I appeared to be in - sadly I don't know how I did this.

But ...
I do wonder if this issue may have been caused by having an Intensity pro installed and this caused a conflict in Desktop Video Drivers

Anyway -
I do agree it would be great to see what firmware is actually installed on the shuttle as one now has to assume that since no firmware update is initiated when you connect the shuttle to the update program then it is running the same firmware as that provided by the version of the the utility program running.

Happy holidays
Cheers
Neil

Tom_Bassford

PostWed Dec 23, 2015 8:47 am

Hmm interesting. Maybe they have changed how this works or maybe I misremembered it? Anyway glad you got it working.

There are lots of incompatibility nightmares to be had with decklink drivers, normally I have these with mediaexpress and the ATEM software. It can take an age to get it sorted when doing an ATEM update on machines with decklinks in as they have different versions of mediaexpress bundled and so updating one breaks the other.

Glad you found a solution anyway.

Cheers
Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jacquesperconte

PostTue Feb 21, 2017 2:14 pm

Dear all, the 4.2 solved everything for me

jacques

Denny Smith

PostTue Feb 21, 2017 5:40 pm

Good, BM recommends running ver 4.2 on the Shuttle 2, and nothing higher. :geek:
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Troy Delbridge

PostSun Dec 03, 2017 9:59 am

Hi All,
By way of an update to this thread, I managed to get v4.4.2 to load onto my HD Shuttle 2 today. I appears to be functioning correctly - I can save the Shuttle's settings, and there is no 'repeat update' issue. I used a MBP running El Capitan (v10.11.6). I initially tried v5.1 of the utility (got the 'repeat update' issue), and wound back first to v4.4.4 (utility installed Ok but would not open/run), then tried v4.4.2.
Might be useful to others having similar issues.

Cheers, Troy

Denny Smith

PostMon Dec 04, 2017 7:23 pm

Good to know 4.4.2 is working, I may have got my FW numbers mixed up. :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

CptSparky

PostSun Apr 07, 2019 10:51 am

Hi I have the same problem on Windows 7 - endless loop of updates and still no change in the codecs. It remains ProRes no matter what I do.
You write about installing older versions of blackmagic software. I want to try it - even version 3.x but I cannot find any link to download it.
Can you please send me download links to older versions of software?

Matt Choules

PostSun Aug 28, 2022 7:21 pm

I realise this is a very old thread but I have picked up a HyperDeck Shuttle 2 to use a portable playback device for my focus pulling monitor set up.

I installed v4.1 (as advised by BMD tech support) and found that whenever you change the codec a firmware reinstall was neccessary. As a side note, I really want the auto trigger record function to work and so set the codec to a low datarate codec (DNx Quicktime) and ticked the "Trigger Record - When SDI Start/Stop is detected" option.

I connected the Shuttle 2 to two different cameras via SDI to DIN cables (test 3 different cables); signal detected but no auto trigger on record. I unplugged and replugged the device to make sure the settings had taken from when I changed them last - they had.

I found this thread and decided to work my way back from 4.4.2.

4.4.2 - The device was not recognised.
4.4.1 - Device recognised, but continually updates
4.4 - Device recognised, but continually updates
4.3.1 - Device is recognised

I stopped at 4.3.1 as I think I've hit the sweet spot; a firmware that not only shows the device as working, but if you change the codec there is no need to reinstall the 'update'.

If anyone in 2022 is still using a HyperDeck Shuttle 2 then know that this could be the firmware for you.

I'll update the thread after I next prep a cinema camera to say if I get the auto trigger record function working with this firmware.

Just to say also, I'm using a 64bit PC running Windows 10.

Return to Live Production