Which metabones speedbooster for Micro Studio 4K

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Robert Noah

Which metabones speedbooster for Micro Studio 4K

PostWed Jan 06, 2016 11:39 pm

Has anyone tried a Metabones speedbooster on the new micro studio 4K? I'm looking at the choices, and I see one for the pocket and another for the BMCC 2.5K. Sensor coverage on the micro studio 4K is a bit wider than on the pocket, so I'm wondering if I should get the BMCC 2.5K version or if the pocket version might do the job better.

Options appear to be:

http://www.metabones.com/products/detai ... F-BMCC-BT1

http://www.metabones.com/products/detai ... -BMPCC-BT1

Denny Smith

Re: Which metabones speedbooster for Micro Studio 4K

PostThu Jan 07, 2016 2:28 am

The BMPCC (Pocket Camera) version works fine. The Speed Booster has an image circle larger than S16, so,it,covers the Micro 4K sensor just fine. I tested this on my Micro Studio using the Metabones BMPCC SB, with the Wooden Camera foot and cage. Works great.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Robert Noah

PostThu Jan 07, 2016 3:41 am

Excellent. Thanks!

Wolfgang Tröscher

PostThu Jan 07, 2016 8:13 am

Hi Robert,

does this Speed Booster support changing the aperture of the lense?

I'm using this version:
http://www.metabones.com/products/detai ... EF-m43-BM2

Works fine, but can't change the aperture.

Denny Smith

PostThu Jan 07, 2016 5:54 pm

Yes, it allows active MFT mount cameras, like the Pocket camera or a Oly,pus/Panny camera to change f/stops, so it should work (not tested by Metabones) with Micro Studio camera. But it will not work with the BMCC, as the adapter requires an active MFT mount to power the lens. However it does not work with ES lenses, and a few third party (non Canon) lenses. Be sure to apply the latest Metabones firmware to the SB.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Robert Noah

PostThu Jan 07, 2016 10:36 pm

Wolfgang Tröscher wrote:Hi Robert,

does this Speed Booster support changing the aperture of the lense?

I'm using this version:
http://www.metabones.com/products/detai ... EF-m43-BM2

Works fine, but can't change the aperture.

Can you mount that MFT-S speed booster to a BMPCC? I have one and use on my GH4. But it won't mount on my pocket or on the micro studio 4K. Maybe I'm not willing to force it enough, but it seems pretty far off from mounting. It mounts just fine on my GH4.

Denny Smith

PostFri Jan 08, 2016 2:09 am

According to Metabones, it will mount on the BMPCC, so it should also mount on the Micro Studio. That said, this is a a EF version of the original Metabines MFT SB, designed to work with MFT cameras like the GH4 or Oly mft cameras, which have a 4mm thick sensor stack (sensor and cover glass) so the FFD will be a little off, as the BM mft cameras have a 2mm sensor stack, which is whT Metabones made a BM camera specific SB to take the thinner Sensor stack into the design, and give improved performance and greater focal reduction for the S16 size sensor and the 2.5K sensor.

The MFT SP will work ok except when using fast f1.4 lenses, which will look softer wide open with odd looking bokeh, and more flair issues. Stoped down the lens DOF corrects the FFD difference. I would get the ZbMPCC specific ZSB to use on the Micro studio, I have one and it works just fine.
Last edited by Denny Smith on Thu May 03, 2018 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Robert Noah

PostFri Jan 08, 2016 6:31 am

All I can say is that my MFT-s speed booster mounts fine on my GH4, but will not mount on the BMPCC or micro studio 4K. I've order the BMPCC speedbooster.

Denny Smith

PostFri Jan 08, 2016 4:43 pm

You will like,the results better with the BMPCC specific speed booster, you will get better performance, and a wider field of view, using more of the lens image circle. Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Wolfgang Tröscher

PostFri Jan 08, 2016 6:23 pm

I installed the latest firmware on my speedbooster, but still can't change the aperture :-(
Fortunately, the Micro offers automatic ap. via shutter, but judt a workaround.

Denny Smith

PostFri Jan 08, 2016 8:36 pm

Sorry Wolfgang, yet another reason Not to use EF lenses with adapters on Non EF mount cameras. I use the NikonF BMPCC Speed booster on the Micro Studio with my Zeiss ZF lenses, great results, and I can quickly change the iris f/stop. For auto Iris control, the Panasonic Leica MFT lenses work nicely, and move in 1/4 EF steps for somewhat smooth f/stop changes.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Robert Noah

PostTue Jan 12, 2016 8:05 pm

I just received the BMPCC-T speed booster for EF lenses:

http://www.metabones.com/products/detai ... -BMPCC-BT1

As expected, it works fine with the pocket cam. However, while it mounts fine to the micro studio 4K and appears to have full sensor coverage, I can confirm that there is no aperture control either via the jog dial on the speed booster or by the micro studio 4K via its various implementations of auto-iris (there is no direct aperture selection method in the camera's menus).

It would be very much a good thing if BM could fix this in firmware.

Denny Smith

PostWed Jan 13, 2016 7:14 am

Robert, did,you try setting the iris to Manual Trigger in the menu, and then use the up and down arrow buttons to change the f/stop setting? This is how the EF Speed Booseter works on the Pocket Camera, only you use the left and right arrows on the BMPCC, (after BM added histogram to the camera, before that it was the up/down arrow buttons). Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Robert Noah

PostWed Jan 13, 2016 9:41 am

Tried it -- does not work. The "manual trigger" option does work as you describe with an MFT lens with electronic aperture control. But, with the BMPCC-T MFT/EF speed booster there is no aperture control at all with EF lenses on the micro studio 4K.

I have to think this is just a firmware issue, though I am a little surprised it doesn't work as-is. The pocket can talk to the metabones adaptor, but the micro studio 4K can't. I don't know enough about the MFT interface to guess the source of the problem, or whether BM or metabones would be best suited to fix it.

Denny Smith

PostWed Jan 13, 2016 7:18 pm

Thanks for the feed back Robert. The lack of a manual Iris ring to control f/stops and the lack'of support on non Canon cameras for the electronic Iris control is a deal breaker for me, and is why I do not use Canon lenses. Too bad, Canon did make some nice glass, and a few of their lenses are outstanding.

Hope you get the problem solved, sounds like a firmware update for the Metabones adapter, as their early EF adapter had similar issues on lens control with BM cameras that was solved on their end.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Tarek Saneh

PostWed Jan 13, 2016 7:31 pm

I have a Studio camera HD and Speedbooster, the iris is not working on the Studio camera latest firmware but on V2.2 its working iris control from camera and atem CCU, i think blackmagic change somthing on the latest firmware.
Tarek Saneh
Creative & Technical Director
http://www.wonderweb.ae
Dubai - UAE

Robert Noah

PostWed Jan 13, 2016 11:18 pm

Tarek Saneh wrote:I have a Studio camera HD and Speedbooster, the iris is not working on the Studio camera latest firmware but on V2.2 its working iris control from camera and atem CCU, i think blackmagic change somthing on the latest firmware.

Thanks for the actual hands-on experience. This could be the issue. The speed booster clearly works (with the pocket camera), so something about the signal being send by the studio camera is not working.

Anyone from BM: can you comment on this?

Tarek Saneh

PostThu Jan 14, 2016 5:59 am

Robert Noah wrote:
Tarek Saneh wrote:I have a Studio camera HD and Speedbooster, the iris is not working on the Studio camera latest firmware but on V2.2 its working iris control from camera and atem CCU, i think blackmagic change somthing on the latest firmware.

Thanks for the actual hands-on experience. This could be the issue. The speed booster clearly works (with the pocket camera), so something about the signal being send by the studio camera is not working.

Anyone from BM: can you comment on this?

Robert, i already spoke to Metabones support about the problem and they are aware of it, i think it should be fix in a firmware update from Metabones. Now that said im using the Tamron 16-300mm with Speedbooster its ff equivalent of 28-525mm and aperature 2f - 3.5f also i use canon 70-200 2.8 and for wide angle i use tokina 11-16mm 2.8 and they are all working on the Studio camera old firmware.
I think Metabones will update the firmware to work with the micro studio camera.
I think for the blackmagic studio cameras its better to adapt them to canon lens then b4, it's easier cheaper and the camera was meant to work with a lens for 1 chip sensor
Tarek Saneh
Dubai - UAE

Carlos Hervas

PostThu Jan 14, 2016 3:25 pm

Tarek, how do you deal with focus and zoom on a BM studio camera using an EF lens and speedbooster?
Which speedbooster do you use or works, it seems Metabone has 4 EF speedboosters for the BM cameras?
Carlos Hervas

Tarek Saneh

PostFri Jan 15, 2016 5:26 am

Carlos Hervas wrote:Tarek, how do you deal with focus and zoom on a BM studio camera using an EF lens and speedbooster?
Which speedbooster do you use or works, it seems Metabone has 4 EF speedboosters for the BM cameras?

When the camera operators film in event with Sony 300 or 400 (the cameras that we have), they have to control Iris all the time and they dont have tally and the screen is small, now with the Studio camera the screen is bigger so it's easier to focus and there is tally, they have only to concentrate on the focus because other operator is controlling the iris and matching the cameras, also i have to say this days no one take zoom in or out on air.
I will try to do a video soon showing the whole setup for it.
I found that to have a nice image from the studio camera you have to use the ccu to coorect the wihte balance add saturation and contrast.
Tarek Saneh
Dubai - UAE

Tom_Bassford

PostFri Jan 15, 2016 11:16 am

Tarek Saneh wrote:also i have to say this days no one take zoom in or out on air.

That entirely depends what you are shooting doesn't it? In corporate then sure you don't need in vision zooms, but for music you absolutely do. See any live concert footage...
eg
https://www.youtube.com/embed/UDTcEInfmSI
http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

Tarek Saneh

PostFri Jan 15, 2016 3:19 pm

Tom_Bassford wrote:
Tarek Saneh wrote:also i have to say this days no one take zoom in or out on air.

That entirely depends what you are shooting doesn't it? In corporate then sure you don't need in vision zooms, but for music you absolutely do. See any live concert footage...
eg
https://www.youtube.com/embed/UDTcEInfmSI

Ya true but we use this camera for small corporate gig that's all not suitable for music or sports.
We have OB van for big concerts with Sony 1500 fibre CCU cameras.
This a low cost camera for small events, schools or web studio.
Not suitable for big projects operation wise and quality.
Now if we compare the BSC to a camera like the Sony pmw 300, the Sony have better image and easier to operate but the BSC have fibre, Program return, tally and talkback, those option for me sometimes are better to have than using a Sony 200 or 300
Tarek Saneh
Dubai - UAE

Carlos Hervas

PostFri Jan 15, 2016 3:38 pm

So how do you adjust focus, hand over lens reaching over the camera or do you have some type of wip attached to the EF lens focus ring? I am assuming these cameras are mounted on some kind of pedestal or full two arm tripod.
Carlos Hervas

Denny Smith

PostFri Jan 15, 2016 5:18 pm

Cabled, and wireless type follow focus units are available, that could be used. I have an older Varizoom remote focus unit (wired) with controller that mounts to tripod arm or can be hand held. Made for ENG camera focus, but can be adapted to 15-mm rail and 8-pitch FF gears.

I have also seen some traditional remote mechanical cable setups that could be adapted.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Tarek Saneh

PostFri Jan 15, 2016 6:14 pm

Carlos Hervas wrote:So how do you adjust focus, hand over lens reaching over the camera or do you have some type of wip attached to the EF lens focus ring? I am assuming these cameras are mounted on some kind of pedestal or full two arm tripod.

Just a generic follow focus
Tarek Saneh
Dubai - UAE

Cristiano Dorin

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 8:03 pm

hi, just a question this speedbooster wil work with BM Micro Studio Camera 4K ? Nikon G to BMPCC Speed Booster 0.58x
i will use this lens: Sigma Art 35mm, and maybe nikon 105 micro, nikon 70-200 F2.8 v2
thanks.

Denny Smith

PostThu Aug 17, 2017 1:14 am

Yes, this is the model I use with my Nikon mount lenses on the Micro camera. I have a Wooden Camera Micro cage on the camera and the replacement Speed Booster foot, whic attaches the Speed Booster to the cage very securely.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Steve @ Cre8tv Media

PostTue May 01, 2018 8:01 pm

Denny Smith wrote:The BMPCC (Pocket Camera) version works fine. The Speed Booster has an image circle larger than S16, so,it,covers the Micro 4K sensor just fine. I tested this on my Micro Studio using the Metabones BMPCC SB, with the Wooden Camera foot and cage. Works great.

Sorry Denny but you're wrong... I just ordered the Metabones Speedbooster (MB_SPEF-BMPCC-BT1, on you're absolute recommendation here on the forum) for the Micro Studio Camera 4K and it absolutely will NOT fit on the camera... Please prove me wrong and show me a photo or better yet, a video of you easily putting this Speedbooster on the Micro Studio Camera 4k (CINSTUDMFT/UHD/MR) mount.... Unless you modified the fitting somehow - its not possible...

Does anyone know the actual Metabones Speedbooster that will fit on the Micro Studio Camera 4K?

Thanks!

Xtreemtec

PostWed May 02, 2018 8:29 am

Steve, what is the problem.. They are both M4/3 mount. so it should fit. Metabones are reported a few times that there tollerances on there gear is not always up to spec.. Seen people that could not get the mount off anymore or had to push hard..

Can you describe or put a photo up what is blocking the mount?
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Denny Smith

PostThu May 03, 2018 1:22 am

Steve, my BMPCC Nik to MFT Speed Booster is One I had on my BM Pocket Camera, where it was a loose fit (on Pocket Camera), as some Pocket Camera MFT mounts from thr first rrrlzse were sloppy. My solution was to develop a replacement foot for the SB that would attach to the Wooden Camera Pocket cage, like their PL adapter does. This allowed the SB to be firmly attached to the cage, and lock it in place, no movement. When I got my Micro camera, the BMPCC/Nik MFT SB fit the new Micro MFT Mount very nickels, it was tight at first, but mounted without forcing it. After a little use, the MFT mount in the Micro Camera loosened some, making the mounting of thr SB easier, but it still is a firm fit, but not any tighter than mounting my Veydra Mini Primes, which also have a standard MFT mount.

Metabones countered the loose fit of their SB on the early Pocket Camera, by making thr MFT Mount slightly thicker, to make it fit the camera tighter. If you just bought one of these newer SB, with the beefed up MFT mount, it is not going to fit very well, there was a coup,e of discussions on this when the Micro cameras first came out.

Robert Noah Posted above his new BMPCC /EF SB fit his Micro camera just fine, tighter than on his Pocket camera, but still a good useable fit. See his post above. He did have to update the firmware to get Iris control.

Steve, Did you buy the SB new from a dealer, or from a private party? If you got a new one from B&H or Adorama or similar dealer, contact them about a replacement, as they sent you one from old stock. If you got a used one, Contact Metabones, tell them your Problem, and they will send you a new standard sized MFT mount, that you can use to replace the existing MFT mount on your SB, so it should fit the camera correctly. There are still a few of these oversized MFT mount SB floating around, but most of them should have been converted back by now. From what I understand, Metsbones has gone back to a standard sized MFT mount, since the Micro camera and thr newer Pocket camera’s all have a tighter, closer to specification, MFT Mount.

Sorry you are having an issue with the SB you bought. If you can return it, do so, and I will sell you the one I have, which is in excellent to new condition (on,y used a few times, and I am not using now, as I am selling my Zeiss ZF lenses), and I will include the Wooden Camera foot and the original Metsbones foot. I will even pay the shipping. This way, I know the SB is going to fit your Camera. Send me a PM with yiur email address and I will send you a couple of photos or iPhone video if it mounting. I will beat the price you paid also. Mine is a Nik F version, just googled your SB model number, and it is the EF version, so mine will not help you out, unless you want to use it to swap out the mount. Sent you a PM.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

zonuna

PostWed Aug 01, 2018 4:16 pm

Do you think Speedbooster will also works with Studio camera 4K ?

Denny Smith

PostWed Aug 01, 2018 4:31 pm

Yes, the Studio Csmera 4K is the same sensor as the Micro Studio, with a MFT mount, so you can use either the BMCC (0.64) or the BMPCC (0.58) Metabones Speed Booster on the Studio Camera.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

zonuna

PostWed Aug 01, 2018 4:39 pm

Denny Smith wrote:Yes, the Studio Csmera 4K is the same sensor as the Micro Studio, with a MFT mount, so you can use either the BMCC (0.64) or the BMPCC (0.58) Metabones Speed Booster on the Studio Camera.
Cheers

Thanks for a reply, sorry for my novice question, any difference between BMCC (0.64) or the BMPCC (0.58) ?

Denny Smith

PostWed Aug 01, 2018 4:44 pm

Yes, one gives you a x0.64 angle of view expansion and the other a 0.58. The BMPCC (0.58) is optimized for thr BM S16 sensor, giving you the greatest angle of view from a given focal length lens.
So a Nikon or Canon (depending on which model you use) 25mm lens with the 0.58 factor BMPCC SB will give you the angle of view of a 14mm lens, while the 0.64 BMCC model would give you a 16mm AOV.

But if you are using a AP-C lens like the Sigma 18-35, then you would be better off with the BMCC SB, as the 0.58 focal expansion may cause some dark corners on the Sigma at 18-20mm.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

zonuna

PostWed Aug 01, 2018 5:59 pm

Thanks a lot ... now I am confident ...

Return to Live Production