Triplehead2go

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Brian Kim

Triplehead2go

PostWed Jan 27, 2016 2:43 pm

Hi
Please help....

I have mac that runs propresenter using triplehead2go, which has 3 display port output. I have display port to HDMI converter connected to each output. 1 of the HDMI output goes into TV monitor that's in the back of the church for our singers to see the lyrics. This works fine.

2nd HDMI output has lower third that I would like to put over our live video. This output goes into ATEM switcher but the ATEM does not recognize this input. I tried using different resolution settings from mac but I just can't seem to make it work.

HELP~~~

hatzenbach

Re: Triplehead2go

PostWed Jan 27, 2016 7:20 pm

How long is the HDMI cable?
Hatzen Bach. Now calling Australia home.

Adam Simmons

PostThu Jan 28, 2016 7:38 am

Another thing to check apart from the HDMI length (BM devices tend not to like cables longer than 5M due to signal degradation) is the output format of the lower third. Is it in a format the ATEM supports?

You don't say which ATEM it is, but you need to check that what you are feeding it is one of the frame-size/frame-rates it supports and whether the output you are trying to feed it is RGB or YUV. If it's coming from a computer then it's likely to be RGB so your ATEM may not support it.

Not sure if it's possible to change the title of the thread, but it may get more notice if you changed it to mention the ATEM, that way someone like Tom from ATEM users might chime in
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years

BenWorkman

PostThu Jan 28, 2016 9:15 am

Adam is on the right track-- the matrox monitor setup app for the triplehead is pretty clear about the resolution/frame rate that it's outputting. You'll want to change that to match the other sources going into your atem, as that is much more picky than your confidence projector on the back wall.

If I recall correctly, the th2g DP edition only does 3840x720 max on a Mac though, so if you're running your switcher at 1080 anything you'll either have to go down to 720 or get a Decimator or the like to upscale/convert.

Could you walk us through your setup though? (Model of Mac/propresenter 5 or 6/atem model/projector setup). I'm curious if there isn't maybe a better way for you to accomplish what you want.

Wes Hershberger

PostTue Feb 09, 2016 5:03 pm

Hey all, I am going to bump this thread and interject my setup since the Original Poster has not responded. I am in a very very similar situation, with running a TripleHead2Go to 2 projectors and attempting to run the third output to an ATEM 2 M/E Production Studio 4K.

Here is my signal chain:
27" iMac(3.1GHz i5, 16GB DDR3) >> ProPresenter 6 w/ Triple Head Module >> Matrox TripleHead2Go w/ DisplayPort outputs >> 2 outputs into Xcellon Display-VGA converters for Projector Outputs, 1 output into Xcellon Display-HDMI converter >> 15' HDMI cable to HDMI input on ATEM 2 M/E Switcher

Nothing shows up on the Switcher in any resolution combination we try.

We were thinking our only solution left is to try some sort of inline Upscaler/converter in the HDMI signal to the switcher to upscale to 1080i59.94 (the current resolution our switcher is running)

Tom_Bassford

PostTue Feb 09, 2016 7:15 pm

yes you need a scaler on the TH2Go output as it cannot output any useful resolutions for the ATEM. It *should* work using a Decimator MD-HX or a Datavideo DAC70.

good luck

cheers
tom
http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

LanceClayton

PostWed May 04, 2016 11:52 am

I have just recently achieved this successfully at our church. It took a lot of trial and error but the below information will get you up and running first time!

We have an iMac that is utilising a Matrox TripleHead2Go (display port to HDMI) and an ATEM TVS.

Our AV system diagram is at the bottom of this post: (or here --> http://postimg.org/image/8xvhi5grl/)

First point is that the Matrox cannot feed directly into the ATEM (at least after months of research I've never heard of it being possible and I tried everything that I could think of without success).

Therefore you need a scaler to conform the signal leaving the Matrox TH2G into a format that the TVS likes. I would highly recommend the Redbite Decimator HDMX (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1091826-REG/decimator_dd_hx_hdmi_sdi_cross_converter_with.html). We use this device and it's perfect, not to mention packed with extra features. If you're considering another scaler take a look at the ATEMuser 'Compatible Equipment' list (http://atemuser.com/CompatibleEquipment) to see if the gear you have in mind might work. Note: We initially tried a Gefen Toolbox 1080 Scaler but found it only worked if sending 720p to the ATEM (and the ATEM would need to be set to 720p format in this case). Using the Gefen to scale to 1080i 50 would produce signal at the ATEM however all the colours would be incorrect (red channel missing?) and there's no fix no matter what settings are tweaked in the Gefen Toolbox. Decimator MDHX works at either 720p or 1080 50i so it's a perfect choice all round.

We have the Matrox TH2G sending signal out ports 1 and 3 (we don't use the middle port) and we use Propresenter with the Multiscreen Module ($200USD) to send two unique feeds (set up to 'tile' rather than one wide display); one into the ATEM with lyrics on a blue 'chroma keyable' BG which we key over live footage via the ATEMs upstream key (live on main projectors), and the other the same lyrics but on a black background which appears on stage monitors.

For some reason setting the Matrox up to send 2*1080 50i would produce no signal on our stage monitors, (just black), but the other port (port 3) would be fine through the Decimator and into the ATEM. We needed both to work.

I then dropped the Matrox down to be outputting 2*720 50Hz which produced the image successfully on the stage monitors (port 1 out of the TH2G). The other port (port 3 out of the TH2G) was then sending 720p 50 into the Decimator which was upscaling to 1080 50i which was the format to which the ATEM TVS is set (our cameras can only do 1080 50i....not 720p).

This configuration allows a single iMac operator to run lyrics to both sets of screens, but with different backgrounds. We wanted this functionality because we don't want live camera on the stage monitors but rather just lyrics, and also wanted to keep the ability to key in the ATEM to send lyrics over live footage to our main screens.

If you're trying to get a similar setup running I'm only too happy to chat through anything.

Just email me lance.a.clayton[at]gmail.com.

LanceClayton

PostSat Nov 18, 2017 11:50 pm

Hi all,

I'm really glad to know that this forum post has been helpful to people as they try to get their systems up and running.

A few people have asked for my Decimator MD-HX settings over the years to cross check as they still battle an issue or two getting signal across.

In case it is of further use, here are our Decimator settings which are successfully getting a 1280p signal from the TH2G scaled up to 1080i50 for the ATEM.

Decimator-MDHX-Settings.jpg
Decimator-MDHX-Settings.jpg (343.22 KiB) Viewed 3474 times

Return to Live Production