Will TripleHead2Go work with the ATEM Production Switcher?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Adam Edwards

Will TripleHead2Go work with the ATEM Production Switcher?

PostFri Feb 05, 2016 6:53 pm

Hi all,

I'm trying to work on a live stream for church, and have encountered a problem. Let me first explain my thought process so that you can see where I am coming from:

Out of an iMac running ProPresenter6 into the TH2G. We are actually only using 2 of the outputs, instead of all 3. Output 1 goes to the screens in the worship room, and output 2 goes into the ATEM switcher. We split it up this way because the ATEM switcher needs the words to be on the lower 3rd of the screen, and the worship room needs full screen. We have all of these details already worked out in ProPresenter6.

The problem that I am having, is that the ATEM switcher isn't seeing this configuration. Has anyone had any experience with something like this? Any advice would be wonderful. Thanks!

Pavel Lavrov

Re: Will TripleHead2Go work with the ATEM Production Switche

PostFri Feb 05, 2016 9:13 pm

Are you sure that switcher is getting exact resolution and frame rate?
You might have better luck getting SDI extension...

Sent - Tapatalk
Pavel L

Adam Edwards

PostSat Feb 06, 2016 4:05 am

As far as I can tell, yes. I have the ATEM switcher set to 720p, and the output from the TripleHead2Go set at 720p Also. I can get a signal from the TH2G to a monitor, but nothing when I plug it into the ATEM switcher.

BenWorkman

PostSat Feb 06, 2016 9:39 pm

Which TH2Go version are you using? (Display Port, DVI, ?) What type of adapters are in the signal chain, and what is the output in the Matrox setup program for the 3 resolutions? (i.e. 3840x720, etc.?)

Fred Rodrigues

PostSun Feb 07, 2016 12:11 pm

I had tried this with a triple head display port edition, I am in PAL land and the TH2Go was able to put out 3x 1920 x1080 60i (total output was 5760 x 1080). It was a long time ago so I don't remember what drivers of TH2Go or which firmware of the ATEM but it did work at this resolution (but it was useless for me as I needed 50i from all the outputs).

Fred
http://www.fredrodrigues.net/

Adam Edwards

PostSun Feb 07, 2016 1:04 pm

It's the display port version. One adapter is VGA and the other is HDMI. I'm getting a signal if I plug the HDMI into a monitor, but not the ATEM switcher. I'm actually only outputting 2, instead of 3. The total resolution would be 2*1280x720.

Eric Lagerlof

PostTue Feb 09, 2016 4:30 pm

Just a thought... If the monitor is telling the TH2GO via EDID to send it a 60hz instead of a 59.94hz signal perhaps your ATEM cannot read it. Also, it might be sending RGB colorspace out of the VGA output instead of YUV. Just some things the BM techs or forum folks might be able to help you with.

Wes Hershberger

PostTue Feb 09, 2016 4:35 pm

Wow, Adam, I am having the same problem at our church where we tried that very thing this weekend without success..

Running TripHead2Go(Display Port to SDI/HDMI converter)(3 displays, 2 main auditorium screens, 1 output to Atem 2 M/E) .. Tried to configure the ATEM 2 M/E in every 720 resolution available (only 720p30 and 720p60) with no luck. I am planning on calling Blackmagic Design to request information or a recommendation on a scaler so we can just upscale the HDMI feed from the Triplehead2Go and continue running at 1080i60, but wanted to see if anyone had solved this issue already.

Tom_Bassford

PostWed Feb 10, 2016 10:04 pm

Decimator MD-HX or Datavideo DAC70 - blackmagic do not have a suitable scaler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

Adam Edwards

PostMon Feb 15, 2016 8:23 pm

I spent a couple hours with it this week again. I still could not find a solution. The output form the TH2G is 2560x720. The projector sees one side fine, and a monitor can see the other side. ATEM switcher can't though.

Does anyone know how to change the refresh rate? If a "scaler" is something that we need, where can I go for it? I'm really in the dark here and looking for any solution possible.

Tom_Bassford

PostMon Feb 15, 2016 8:26 pm

You need a scaler such as the DAC70 or MD-HX

Adam Edwards

PostMon Feb 15, 2016 8:38 pm

Sorry for asking this, but what is the scaler supposed to actually do? The resolution from TH2G should work, right? Also, I'm running HDMI from the TH2G into the ATEM switcher. I don't think that I need SDI on this.

Please correct any of this if I am wrong.

Tom_Bassford

PostMon Feb 15, 2016 8:44 pm

The resolution out of the TH2Go will be 60hz and possible the wrong number of pixels. The ATEM needs 59.97 or 50hz which you will not get the th2go to output.

Either of the suggested scalers with conform the th2go's output to one suitable for the ATEM.

SDI /HDMI doesn't matter you can use either out of the scaler, but the resolution and frame rate must match the ATEM operating format.

Adam Edwards

PostMon Feb 29, 2016 3:35 pm

UPDATE: It took me a while to get one in, but a scaler is exactly what I needed. Scaling it to 720p did the trick and now we have the TH2G sending the secondary signal up to the ATEM switcher and using it as a downstream key. Works perfectly. Thanks everyone!

ZachWillis

PostMon Mar 14, 2016 5:13 pm

Can I ask what scaler you used, as i might need to do the same on a project coming up.

Adam Edwards

PostMon Mar 14, 2016 5:59 pm

I used the Extron 301 HD. It's very expensive, and the Extron HD-HD will probably do the same trick. I never tried any of the options that were posted earlier in the thread, but I'm sure they are solid options.

Scott Moyer

PostThu Jun 23, 2016 5:33 pm

Adam, can I ask what version of Matrox PowerDesk software you are using? What Firmware Version? I've heard of others having success with the TH2G -> Scaler/ScanConverter -> ATEM scenario but am having no luck.

Adam Edwards

PostMon Jun 27, 2016 3:15 pm

Scott, I don't know the exact number, but it is the latest version for Mac OS. We downloaded it about a month ago (May 2016).

Scott Moyer

PostSat Jul 23, 2016 7:06 pm

I've been working on this setup for a while. There's some undocumented (unknown) issue with Matrox TH2G and AMD/ATI graphics based Macs, as well as the Intel HD Graphics 4000 graphics units.

I've gotten the TH2G -> Converter -> ATEM work on every mac and PC I throw at it -- as long as it's not a Mac with AMD/ATI Radeon graphics, or my macbook pro with Intel HD 4000. NVidia graphics and Intel graphics have worked for Mac and PC with my setup.

It's predictable what the TH2G won't work with -- saying what it WILL work with is a different story.

jasonburke

PostTue May 30, 2017 5:39 pm

I need some help from you, please let me know if this diagram will be ok for my church we are planning to purchase all the stuff in about 2 to 3 weeks from now.

Regards
Attachments
diagrama iglesia.png
diagrama iglesia.png (571.08 KiB) Viewed 4284 times

BenWorkman

PostTue May 30, 2017 10:07 pm

jasonburke wrote:I need some help from you, please let me know if this diagram will be ok for my church we are planning to purchase all the stuff in about 2 to 3 weeks from now.

Regards

Just from quick glance, that HDMI output from the ATEM to the TH2G is not going to work. TH2G require a large strange resolution (e.g. 3840x720) that I'm almost positive will not come out of any of BM's stuff. THe better way to feed those screens is a Videohub, or an ATEM with more AUX ports (2 M/E, etc).

Return to Live Production