Anyone else with focus issues on Micro Studio?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Brian Nguyen

Anyone else with focus issues on Micro Studio?

PostWed Feb 10, 2016 7:38 pm

Hello, I've been trying to set up the Micro Studio 4k cameras lately and I've been running into trouble maintaining focus through the ATEM. When I turn on the camera, things are in focus but quickly drop when I zoom in. Every time I use the focus button on the ATEM program, the camera tries but ultimately becomes progressively worse and unable to focus no matter how zoomed in or out.

The lenses I have tried this out with are the Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm, the Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm, and the Olympus M. Zuiko ED 12-50mm. I've tested these lenses on the Studio Camera 4k and the camera maintained focus throughout. I've also updated both the ATEM and Micro Studio firmware but still have this problem. Has anyone else experienced these troubles with the Micro Studio 4k not being able to pull focus?

SteveNelson

Re: Anyone else with focus issues on Micro Studio?

PostSun May 15, 2016 4:44 pm

We have been experiencing the same issues. We have three of Micro Studio 4k's with the Olympus 40-150/4-5.6 R lenses. It first we blamed the issue on the lenses thinking they just were unable to maintain focus, but now we are looking other possibilities. We have set the cameras auto exposure to "manual" in an attempt to see if the camera was making adjustments to the lens, but that appears to have little/nothing to do with the focus issues we are experiencing.

Samuel Bailey

Re: Anyone else with focus issues on Micro Studio?

PostMon May 16, 2016 5:08 pm

I contacted BMD about this issues a few weeks ago. I was using the Panasonic 45-175mm Vario Lens. Customer support finally said that their engineers had not actually tested the camera with that lens. It's on the supported list for the Studio Cam but on the Micro Studio it's so problematic as to not be useful. They are supposed to be working on a software update to fix this. I'm not sure on the timeline for that though. I don't know why they couldn't import the lens control from the full size Studio cams to this camera.

Return to Live Production